All this talk about beaches...

Joeybun

All this talk about beaches...

Got me to wondering what we should do on SXM. We have been 3 times...back in 1996 on a cruise, which is when we fell in love with the place. We decided to go back on a land based trip, and have done so twice. So we have spent a considerable amount of time there.

Now I have the problem of trying to figure out what to do. I think that the only 2 beaches we never got to were Dawn Beach and Guana Bay. For some reason the road was closed last time we were there and we could only get as far as Captain Oliver's.

We love Grand Case and DH is no doubt going to be craving Pain au chocolate.

I've thrown around the idea of renting a car, but the thought of driving in that traffic has me thinking that it may ruin my day! But if I did rent a car, are there any offices near the pier?

What is Dawn Beach like? Is the water calm on most days? Can we rent a few chairs and umbrella? Are there plentiful cabs that stay at the beach to take us back to the ship? Or would we need to make prior arrangements?

Same questions for Guana Bay?

Other than that, does anyone have a suggestion as to what they do on SXM after having been on the island several times?

The other thing is...Anguilla. Wow! We love the beaches in Anguilla. It is our absolute most favorite island in the Caribbean! Has anyone done a day trip over to Shoal Bay? That beach is about as perfect as they come. I read somewhere that there is a ferry that departs from the same pier that the ship is at, but I cannot find it again. Can this be true? I think it would be a real stretch to take a cab to Marigot and then ferry over to Anguilla, then get a cab to Shoal Bay and back again, all in the 8 hours we are in port. But, if they have something from the pier, that might make it doable. Can anyone add any details about this?

This is such a perplexing problem.;)

Archived