NCL Panama Canal Next Fall?

wrmiles

My wife and I have enjoyed two NCL cruises (Star Mexican Riviera and Pearl Western Carribean) and are considering a Los Angeles to Miami Panama Canal cruise next fall.

Our choices are the Pearl in late September or the Star in late November.

Any advice on the pluses and minuses as far as crowds, weather, etc? I note that the Pearl cruise is about 20% more although it is a day longer, perhaps implying greater popularity.

You might receive more answers if you mentioned how many days and the ports of call of these repositional cruises. They are not normal seasonal cruises, and they do change from year to year. I haven't the time to check up and surf myself. The ships are similar, so any discussion will most likely fall on the ports of call. Choose the one you like most.

I was aboard the Pearl for that trip this past September. It was great, but the weather from Cabo onward was extremely hot by my Seattle-area standards. Were I to go again - and I'd love to - I'd probably favor the November (or later) sailings.

For us, it was the time of year that helped make our decision to go on the Star in November 2009. It will still be hurricane season during the September Pearl trip. It's not a huge deal, as the ships can adjust around storm areas, but something to think about.

The itineraries are identical, except that with the extra day on the Pearl you get an additional port day. Looking at the itinerary, the Pearl has three port days in a row. Again, not a biggie, but I like doing a port every other day with maybe just two in a row.

Star Itinerary: Los Angeles; Cabo San Lucas; Acapulco; Huatulco; Puntarenas; Cartagena; Miami

Pearl Itinerary: Los Angeles; Cabo San Lucas; Acapulco; Huatulco; Puerto Quetzal; Puntarenas; Cartagena; Miami

If you decide on the Star, we already have a roll call started...come on over and join us. :)

Archived