Are winterish type dresses appropriate for a cruise?

bdiddy

About the dress again..another thought..you aren't really wearing the dress in the Caribbean..you are actually wearing the dress on a ship that is in the middle of the sea, and essentially is a floating hotel with freezing air conditioning. So the fashionista's rules about not wearing velvet or something heavier in the Carirbbean don't really apply anyway.

Well, in that case, I guess I should wear a white linen dress and sandals in the middle of winter in a heated restaurant because it's nice and warm inside. :D:D:D

On my very first cruise which was to the Caribbean in February I took a long black velvet evening gown. The weather outside was cold and blustery and someone forgot to tell RCCL that air conditioning was inappropriate for that kind of weather. I was very glad to have a velvet dress - otherwise I would have been a popsicle by the end of dinner. Some of the more "appropiately" dressed were freezing. Since I was comfortable I loaned my wrap to one of our table companions.

On our second cruise to the Mexican Riveira I saw a couple of women who were wearing lovely dresses that were dove gray satin on top with long lightweight black velvet skirts. One had spaghetti straps and was knee length and one had capped sleeves and was floor length. Both were beautiful in dress and manner. I didn't see anyone gossiping and pointing behind raised hands.

Barb

Why don't you take the dress with you, along with a backup (you can' t bring too many clothes IMHO...until you hit overweight charges with the luggage...) and you can decide when the time comes? Also, the spaghetti straps/bareness offset the velvet, I would think. You'll see the gamut of clothing choices, anyway, from cocktail dresses, prom-style dresses, floral prints, et al....It's just a chance for us women to get DRESSED UP, baby! (smile)

My motto exactly, you cannot bring too many clothes or shoes until you hit the over weight limit on the suitcase.

Unfortunately it does not take much to get the suitcase up to 50 pounds. They must be making clothes heavier these days!;)

Well, the dress is a no-go! :( I tried on all my dresses and outfits today and it was the least flattering of the bunch! Velvet is not very slimming to say the least. It's a beautiful dress but I guess I should have worn it before I had kids and kept those 10 extra pounds on! LOL

Why don't you take the dress with you, along with a backup (you can' t bring too many clothes IMHO...until you hit overweight charges with the luggage...) and you can decide when the time comes? Also, the spaghetti straps/bareness offset the velvet, I would think. You'll see the gamut of clothing choices, anyway, from cocktail dresses, prom-style dresses, floral prints, et al....It's just a chance for us women to get DRESSED UP, baby! (smile)

..I saw it on a bumper sticker ages ago, and loved it!..We had an exchange student in 2001, and after he woke, he would sit on the edge of his bed very quiet and just be very still. I would peek in and ask him if he was comtemplating "Whirled peas"..for those not in the know..World Peace!

Well, in that case, I guess I should wear a white linen dress and sandals in the middle of winter in a heated restaurant because it's nice and warm inside. :D:D:D

Sounds okay by me!

I don't know who made up these arbitrary rules, but I was not consulted and I refuse to be bound by them!

Sheila

Sounds okay by me!

I don't know who made up these arbitrary rules, but I was not consulted and I refuse to be bound by them!

Sheila

Some people care about style and some don't. Those that do often come onto a fashion board and ask opinions of others who also care. Those that don't care, don't bother to ask or join in discussions with those that do.

No one said you should be bound by any rules. But they aren't arbitrary. I have spent over 15 years as an executive in the fashion industry and know many of the movers and shakers on 7th Ave. I have a lot of knowledge that I enjoy sharing - though that doesn't mean that people have to listen to it or even care what I say. The OP asked for opinions, and I like others offered mine. Those that know me, know I have a very individual look and a strong iconoclastic sense of style. That said, there are still some things that look odd or simply don't work - and that would include black velvet in the Carribean and white linen in the middle of winter in a northern climate. However, there are no fashion police that will come and arrest anyone for wearing such items. ;)

However, the OP has already decided not to wear the dress. It seems that the bargain she bought 10 years ago and never wore, no longer fits her well, and so whether she was going to wear a wintery dress in the caribbean or not, is now a moot point.

Bdidy, if you love this dress, feel comfortable in it, then by all means you should wear it!

The only people who have the time on a cruise to notice, aren't having a good time themselves.

I have been on so many cruises and seen people wearing clothes that they had on at the pool before dinner, shorts and flip flops. They surely don't care what you are wearing because they don't care how they look.

So wear that beautiful dress and have a great time! I have a gorgeous black velvet dress and want to wear it more often than the holidays. To me, it is personal opinion that velvet is for holdiays only.

I hope you have a great time whatever you wear, at least I know you cared enough to look your very best!

The only people who have the time on a cruise to notice, aren't having a good time themselves.

Wow; I always enjoy looking at what others are wearing, whether on a cruise, in a nice restaurant, at a party, etc.

And all this time I really thought that I WAS having a good time....:confused:

Bdidy, if you love this dress, feel comfortable in it, then by all means you should wear it!

If you read through the thread, you'll see that Bdiddy has already decided not to wear it.

And you know this how????

I quite disagree. I love to look at what people wear, and I've had a fabulous time on every cruise I've ever been on.

I have been on so many cruises and seen people wearing clothes that they had on at the pool before dinner, shorts and flip flops. They surely don't care what you are wearing because they don't care how they look.

You're probably right on that one. People that don't care how they look are unlikely to look and see how others are dressed.

Archived