Innoculations

rickdeni

I would consult a travel nurse or check the CDC website. I don't think that shots are strictly necessary for a cruise but we are doing a full Panama transit next month and consulted two travel nurses one of whom is a DSIL. In both cases while they said while it was not strictly necessary it wouldn't hurt to have the Hep A, Typhoid, Tetanus, and Diphtheria shots which we chose to have.

Yellow fever is required if entering Brazil (Rio/Manaus). If you are on the manaus to fll route, barbados and antigua will also require this. I do not think that it is for all itineraries to barbados/antigua, just if coming from the amazon and up.....fortaleza, devils island etc/ Of course, if you are visiting barbados and antigua and you are concerned ask your doctor, just because it is not reuquired doesn';t mean that it may not be advisable depending on your situation.

I don't know the itinerary but ordinarily, you don't need shots for a Caribbean cruise. If you are going to Brazil or Devil's Island, then you would need the yellow fever shot.

It's always a good idea to be up-to-date with your tetanus and it doesn't hurt to get Hep A & B, but those aren't required.

I had heard that St. Martaan had dengue fever in November. Have not heard of yellow fever. Take lots of mosquito repellent with deet. My wife and I use the REI brand with 100% deet. There are criticisms of using that much deet, but I figure it's individual choice.

Archived