Should we upgrade???

Silverspoon

We'll be cruising on the Pearl in March. We currently have an AF minisuite booked for my MIL and her sister. We also have an A3 booked for my DH, 2 children, and myself.

There was enough room in the A3--so we paid the extra passenger rates and double-booked MIL & her sister in our A3--so they could have access to suite perks and the courtyard area. They will sleep and "get ready" in their AF.

Now we have the option of trading in our 2 suites for one A1 Garden Villa. The additional cost would be $700 per person. This is within our budget--but we're not sure it's worth the cost. It would give us extra room to chill as a 6 person family...but not sure it's the set-up that we want. Trying to figure the Pro's--already know the con's. Feel kind of crazy for giving up the option. Any opinions?

Concerns:

• Less privacy in A1 Master bedroom because it has sliding doors to the shared patio/hot tub.
  • Won't use the A1 enough because of port intensive cruise. Only 2 sea days.
  • Kids are 11 and 3. Might be nervewracking to have them in their "own" balcony cabin (the way the A1 bedrooms are setup)--maybe we'd stick them on an aerobed in the Master walk-in closet instead? DH knows of sliding glass door locks that we can bring, instead.
  • Maybe the living room/dining area of the A3, plus the courtyard, plus the private courtyard sundeck would be "good enough".
  • Not sure if we want to give up the awesome view from the A3 shower/bath...
  • Heard outside patio areas of the A1 can be noisy from the owners suites above...
  • Concerned that A1 butler may be intrusive...we dislike it when butlers "show up" as they please, as if they're staying in the room as a guest...we only want them around when we've asked for their service. (We've also had this problem with high-end suites in hotels, it's uncomfortable when they just walk in unannounced!)

I can only offer our experience on the Star. We had a Villa, with just 2 couples, and found it outstanding! None of the "suites-in-a-suite" had a balcony. It had 3 separate suites with a common LR/DR/wetbar area. Each suite was separate with it's own space - literally the same as an AC/AD. Two of the suites were master suites in that they had walk-in/walk-through closets and huge bathrooms with jetted tubs, 2 sinks, separate shower and toilet areas. The middle unit was slightly smaller but still had a table for 4 and the same seating as an AD. The bath was smaller in that it had a combination tub/shower and only 1 sink.

Only 1 of the suites had direct access to the private outdoor area. There was a separate common door for all of the suites.

As for the butler, ours was very unobstrusive. They have been trained to give you excellent service and will not be "in your face" if you don't want them to be. They will not walk in on you unannounced.

I'm sure the Pearl's GV layout is somewhat different than Villa on the Star, but IMHO, and since you can afford it - take the GV. You won't be sorry.

(I'm not too sure NCL would accept your children sleeping on an AeroBed in the closet. :confused:)

I'd be all over that like white on rice. Those villas are beautiful and would give you so much room.

Ask your butler to call or knock before entering. They will bend over backwards to accommodate you, and I hear most are very good with children.

Have a wonderful time with whatever you decide is best for your family.

Jackie

Thanks for the replies!!!

I'm leaning toward the A1, but I'm just worried that we won't "use" the extra space and ammenities...maybe we would if we had 3 sea days, instead of 2.

It's strange that I don't want to give up the A3 because of the bathroom--but from pictures, the A3 bathroom actually looks better than the A1. The window over the tub would be so nice and relaxing!!!

Also, the setup for a child's bedroom seems better in the A3.

Anyone book an A1 with young children???

OMG for us this would be such a no-brainer.......I'd probably break my fingers pulling out my credit card:D. Seriously, we've never had a problem with the butlers being intrusive or appearing unannounced and having seen two different GV layouts on two different ships, it would be worth it for us if only for the private hot tub and garden area.

No matter what you do, enjoy your cruise but if $$ are no object, I'd say go for it!

Okay...I've noticed no one has an opinion on giving up the awesome bathroom with the large picture window over the tub and shower...Idunknow...that's like gold, isn't it?

And how about the hot tub being right outside the master bedroom...what if we're trying to have some umhmm.."private time" and MIL or her sister are using the hot tub...joykill and weird!

About the hot tub...is it even usable when the ship is moving...it's right next to the railing and looks like it might take on some whirlpools.

Children. So many doors. Each of the 2nd and 3rd bedrooms on the Pearl Garden Villa have balconies...but we can child lock these. Will I pull my hair out keeping an eye on them worrying they'll go overboard! No nanny here!

How small are the A3 balconies compared to an AD balcony? For reference...I've stayed in an AD. I guess I'm still trying to make the A3 balcony/courtyard/sundeck/living area be "good enough". It sure seems more child friendly! Maybe that's the answer. Maybe someone will snatch up the A1 upsell. That would be an easy answer!

An aside, I love my MIL dearly, but it we were feeling a bit too much togetherness, might it be easier to get away if we weren't sharing the same suite.

Decisions, decisions...someone please help me out!

It doesn't matter what any of us would do. You have a long list of concerns on this thread and another, so if things don't work out perfectly you might be very disappointed you paid extra to upgrade.

Having all the perks is fabulous for most of us and rarely do you see any mention of a butler being intrusive or arriving unannounced, but only you know what bothers you.

Just from reading your posts, however, the A1 might not be the right choice for your family. What might be considered insignificant to some of us may be a big deal for you such as bathroom view, hot tub usage, balconies available to a young child, etc.

Good luck in your decision.:)

Book the A3 for your NEXT cruise and take that GV now! You may not have the opportunity to do so again, and with that many people, it would be the best time to take advantage of it.

We've had an AB with the fabulous bathroom, but if we had the opportunity and the money to upgrade to the GV, we wouldn't hesitate for a single minute.

Watchdiva, your comment about breaking your fingers getting your credit card out was hilarious!

Concerns:

Less privacy in A1 Master bedroom because it has sliding doors to the shared patio/hot tub.

Won't use the A1 enough because of port intensive cruise. Only 2 sea days.

Only you can answer that but two sea days would be well worth it for the GV.

Kids are 11 and 3. Might be nervewracking to have them in their "own" balcony cabin (the way the A1 bedrooms are setup)--maybe we'd stick them on an aerobed in the Master walk-in closet instead? DH knows of sliding glass door locks that we can bring, instead.

Bring the sliding glass door locks!

Maybe the living room/dining area of the A3, plus the courtyard, plus the private courtyard sundeck would be "good enough".

A3 is nice but the GV is a totally different experience with a lot more room.

Not sure if we want to give up the awesome view from the A3 shower/bath...

Heard outside patio areas of the A1 can be noisy from the owners suites above...

Concerned that A1 butler may be intrusive...we dislike it when butlers "show up" as they please, as if they're staying in the room as a guest...we only want them around when we've asked for their service. (We've also had this problem with high-end suites in hotels, it's uncomfortable when they just walk in unannounced!)

How often will you actually use that A3 tub? In both times we had a GV I only took a "bath" once. The shower is wonderful and there is a curtain in the br for privacy.

The master bedroom has a curtain for privacy for the slider going into the courtyard. The bed is facing windows that over look the sea so privacy there.

As far as the butler and cabin steward just let them know you want them to call before entering. We did find that ours just popped in and out of the main rooms but never entered a bedroom unless it was empty.

Only you can decide but the GV is wonderful and the common spaces are very large. We find that we never got in each others way and it does give a lot of privacy. I could probably even handle my mother-in-law in one of those. Ummmm if I didn't throw her overboard first!

Okay...I've noticed no one has an opinion on giving up the awesome bathroom with the large picture window over the tub and shower...Idunknow...that's like gold, isn't it?

Not sure if we want to give up the awesome view from the A3 shower/bath...

How often will you actually use that A3 tub? In both times we had a GV I only took a "bath" once. The shower is wonderful and there is a curtain in the br for privacy.

Only you can decide but the GV is wonderful and the common spaces are very large. We find that we never got in each others way and it does give a lot of privacy. I could probably even handle my mother-in-law in one of those. Ummmm if I didn't throw her overboard first!

Ha ha... Don't throw your MIL overboard!!!

I'm just curious since you've stayed in the villas, Bobbye. Doesn't the master bath have amazing views also? We toured the Dawn's villa and there was a lot of glass and great views. I'm not sure if the other ships are the same.

I believe I only took one bath per cruise, none on the last one, as tempting as that Jacuzzi tub was. Just too much to do and not enough time. It was nice with the windows, but I'd love the one that was in the Dawn villa.

1485946007051977359S500x500Q85.jpg

1485946210051977359S500x500Q85.jpg

Concerns:

• Less privacy in A1 Master bedroom because it has sliding doors to the shared patio/hot tub.
  • Won't use the A1 enough because of port intensive cruise. Only 2 sea days.
  • Kids are 11 and 3. Might be nervewracking to have them in their "own" balcony cabin (the way the A1 bedrooms are setup)--maybe we'd stick them on an aerobed in the Master walk-in closet instead? DH knows of sliding glass door locks that we can bring, instead.
  • Maybe the living room/dining area of the A3, plus the courtyard, plus the private courtyard sundeck would be "good enough".
  • Not sure if we want to give up the awesome view from the A3 shower/bath...
  • Heard outside patio areas of the A1 can be noisy from the owners suites above...
  • Concerned that A1 butler may be intrusive...we dislike it when butlers "show up" as they please, as if they're staying in the room as a guest...we only want them around when we've asked for their service. (We've also had this problem with high-end suites in hotels, it's uncomfortable when they just walk in unannounced!)

Less Privacy: There are drapes and locks on the sliding doors to the patio.

Won't use: Yes you will!!!!

Balcony: There are child locks on the sliding doors to the balcony.

Maybe: the sundeck is awesome for the GV

Not sure: You have an even better bathroom. The tub is for two and the shower is amazing. The closet is like a cabin. There is a sauna outside your master bedroom. The bedroom and the bathroom have access from the patio area.

Noise: No noise at all

Butler: The will obey whatever your wishes are. They will stock all your needs while you are away. Remember 6 bottles and all the mixers you want. You can even throw a party for your friends. You have door bells for the cabin and each bedroom.

You get a limo to take you to the airport on your return also. They took us home.

We really enjoyed our 11 day in the GV on the Gem.

Check out our pics in webshots.

If it's in your budget, go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Happy Cruising,

Monty

Take the A1! It is a steal! Only $700 more a pop you need to do it! I have sailed in A4, A3 and A1! Yes the tub in the A3 is wonderful, but the bedroom is very small and the bathrom has very little privacy, the Kids bedroom in the A3 has as good a NO storage!

The master bath in the A1 is fatastic, bigger then most cabins, even the walk in closet is as big as a regular cabin.

You and the whole gang will love the private, Steam room, Jacuzzi, sun deck, entertainment system inside and out, Butler is the same as for the A3...they have a couple more rooms then just one, huge living room and fully stocked bar, you have so many more things included then in the A3, even specialty dinners! Do it, do it do it! By the way you can lock the glas doors and you will hear nothing in the master, even when the kids play in the jacuzzy in front of the sliding doors!

Wow! I wish the Pearl master bathroom looked like the one on the Dawn! That would be an awesome way to get ready each morning!!!

I contacted my TA. DH says do it! Now, let's just hope it's still available!:rolleyes:

I think I have to wait until Monday too--my TA doesn't work weekends!:eek:

Thanks a million!

Silverspoon

Wow! I wish the Pearl master bathroom looked like the one on the Dawn! That would be an awesome way to get ready each morning!!!

I contacted my TA. DH says do it! Now, let's just hope it's still available!:rolleyes:

I think I have to wait until Monday too--my TA doesn't work weekends!:eek:

Thanks a million!

Silverspoon

My guess is you're going to love it!!!

You already know what most of us would do...:D I doubt I'll ever cruise in one of the GV's, but stranger things have happened.

Hope it's still there and waiting for you. Good luck!!!

Ha ha... Don't throw your MIL overboard!!!

I'm just curious since you've stayed in the villas, Bobbye. Doesn't the master bath have amazing views also? We toured the Dawn's villa and there was a lot of glass and great views. I'm not sure if the other ships are the same.

I believe I only took one bath per cruise, none on the last one, as tempting as that Jacuzzi tub was. Just too much to do and not enough time. It was nice with the windows, but I'd love the one that was in the Dawn villa.

1485946007051977359S500x500Q85.jpg

1485946210051977359S500x500Q85.jpg

Yes, the Dawn and Star both have wonderful views from the master bath. Took a bit to get used to looking at the pool deck from there -- strange but wonderful!

My mother-in-law -- well, since she'd never go with us I think she's safe :D

Yes, the Dawn and Star both have wonderful views from the master bath. Took a bit to get used to looking at the pool deck from there -- strange but wonderful!

My mother-in-law -- well, since she'd never go with us I think she's safe :D

I bet it was strange with all those people out the windows, but I've never noticed being able to see in during the day. I do remember seeing people at night in the living room with the lights on though.

I guess the MB's are different on the other ships and don't have the view?

Glad your MIL is safe. :eek:

Archived