Majesty - Dec 6, 2008 - Is this true?

hon2u

I read a new review posted on this site and it stated -

"One of the lounge performers was kicked off the ship mid-cruise for playing while intoxicated, which was the source of much gossip and dark humor. "

We were on the Majesty in November and I am just curious how they would just put an employee off the ship. Can anyone confirm this? We saw most of the performers and I am curious if this happened - who was the performer? Just call me nosy!

When we arrived in Port Canaveral during our November 15-22 cruise everyone on the entire ship (including staff) had to get off and go through immigration without any explanation. Until everyone was off the ship all passengers were in sent to a holding room at the dock and were not allowed to re board. It was a weird and surreal experience to happen first thing in the morning. Many folks were quite upset. It was rumored that a couple of employees had jumped ship. To date I have not found out the real story.

I am going to post this question in another thread as well.

Happy holidays to all!

Walk the plank?:D

I know who I would put my money on if he was the same one who was on the Majesty in Sept./Oct.:p

Thanks iheartda! I too know who I would bet on. I had hoped that someone on this cruise could confirm my suspicions.

I think being a performer day after day on a ship with a party crowd would drive me to drink too! I hope they found their way home safely.

I heard the performers "Crimson Sky" were put off -- at one of the Bahama's ports. A couple nights before I heard the rumor, I saw one of the performers very intoxicated and still drinking... His performance had noticably declined from a previous show. Too Bad - we liked their first show, but left during their 'final?' show.

I heard the performers "Crimson Sky" were put off -- at one of the Bahama's ports. A couple nights before I heard the rumor, I saw one of the performers very intoxicated and still drinking... His performance had noticably declined from a previous show. Too Bad - we liked their first show, but left during their 'final?' show.

Thanks GOTTA-GO! I hope George and Glenn made it home safely. We too enjoyed their shows...too bad!!

Didn't want to name names but that's EXACTLY who I was referring to in my previous post. I was on a back to back so I saw a lot of them, not just performing but casually, around the ship and the one in particular seemed to be quite "happy" all the tme, if you get my "drift".:p ;)

And yes they DID put on a good show, don't know why he/they needed "extra help". At one performance, there was some pretty harsh stuff said about people on the ship in particular the mocking of the CD. I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did with things that were said "jokingly".

it must be true because i was on the next cruise and those performers werent there and we didn't have the same problem.

It is not all that unusual for them to put an employee off the ship for cause. then they are on their own to get home from where ever.

I don't mean it is frequent, just not all that unusual.

Far from it, they are not on their own. All shipping companies have a legal obligation to return the crew member to their home airport no matter what the reason is for leaving the ship.

Far from it, they are not on their own. All shipping companies have a legal obligation to return the crew member to their home airport no matter what the reason is for leaving the ship.

...but, ah, entertainers may or may not be employees (i.e. crew members) of the line; many (maybe most?) are contracted through an agent and are independent contractors. There might be a contractual commitment for CREW/STAFF working on 6 month contracts directly with the line. Just a guess that the "legal obligation" you mention doesn't apply in cases of disobedience or other dangerous or prohibited behavior.

Legal - in what jurisdiction when a ship is registered in Panama, the crew member is from the Phillipines, the ship's parent company is in Malaysia, the incident happened in international waters on a ship departing from Miami!!! :eek:

...but, ah, entertainers may or may not be employees (i.e. crew members) of the line; many (maybe most?) are contracted through an agent and are independent contractors. There might be a contractual commitment for CREW/STAFF working on 6 month contracts directly with the line. Just a guess that the "legal obligation" you mention doesn't apply in cases of disobedience or other dangerous or prohibited behavior.

Legal - in what jurisdiction when a ship is registered in Panama, the crew member is from the Phillipines, the ship's parent company is in Malaysia, the incident happened in international waters on a ship departing from Miami!!! :eek:

All crew, including entertainers, sign a contract, the contract will come under a cba (combined bargaining agreement), this will state that the company has an obligation to repatriate the employee to the nearest approved home commercial airport. It doesn't matter which flag the ship comes under, nor the nationality or occupation of the crew member, nor what port it is leaving. This obligation does apply in all cases, no matter what the reason for leaving the ship. Your guess was wrong:eek:.

Archived