Hong Kong Lantau Island DIY

Denverite

Help! We will be in Hong Kong for two days and the Diamond Princess docks (or tenders) at the container port. I'm not sure where the shuttle drops us off. I am thinking for one day we can go to Lantau Island on our own. For someone who has been there does this seem right:

Depending upon where the shuttle drops us off, get to the Central MTR station on Hong Kong Island--if the shuttle drops us off on Kowloon, take the Star Ferry across to Hong Kong Island. Take the orange line (at least it is orange on my map) MTR from Central to Tung Chung (the Tung Chung line)--about 30 minutes. Take the Skyrail from Tung Chung to Ngong Ping (about 25 minutes) and walk to the monastery and Big Buddha. Return via Skyrail and MTR. We will be in Hong Kong on a Wednesday and Thursday in April so I am guessing the crowds might not be as bad as they would be on the weekend. If for some reason the Skyrail is closed, I assume there are other options to get to Big Buddha?

We could take the New World First Ferry one-way from Mui Wo but it seems a bit more complicated to get from Tung Chung to Mui Wo via a bus or taxi.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

The first day in Hong Kong, the ship will dock at a container terminal till 6 pm (when it will relocate to it's anchor spot). The shuttle bus will drop you off behind the Ocean Terminal on the Kowloon side. From there, walk to the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station (red line) 2 blocks away and take the train towards Tsuen Wan. Get off at the Lai King station, walk across the platform to the orange line train to Tung Chung. Go all the way to the end of the line and when you'll exit the station building, you will see where the cable car station is (about 200 yards away). The ride on the cable car is spectacular as you're hanging high above the ocean, make several turns and you can see the airport most of the way. Have a wonderful time.

Thanks Bohemian. Great directions. We will probably do this the second day but assume the shuttle drops us off at the same place. Your directions help. I've located the MTR lines on a map so should be easier than trying to figure out Central MTR that looks like a lot of entrances and exits.

You're welcome Denverite. On the second day, you will be tendering from the ship to the new Central Pier - pier #4 on the Hong Kong side. It's a 35 - 40 min. trip on the tender each way. From there, you can just take the orange (Tung Chung) line directly without transferring.

Since we had 5 days (2 with the cruise and 3 more after) in Hong Kong and used their trains, streetcars and buses extensively, we got the Octopus cards that can be used for a quick payment even at places like McDonald's and the Star Ferry. http://www.hong-kong-travel.org/Octopus.asp It's a great idea and a convenient tool, especially for tourists, that I wish we had around here as well.

Oh--good to know that the dropoff point is different on the second day. So it looks like we will be going through Central MTR. I think I read somewhere that there is an underground walkway from the pier to Central, or perhaps I was dreaming, but I am sure we will figure it out. I think we will only use MTR for one day so probably will do single journey tickets instead of an Octopus card. I understand they also have a Tourist One-Day Pass that costs HK$55 (about $7US) if we decide to go other places via MTR.

I assume you went to Lantau Island -- anything not to be missed, other than the cable car ride and the Big Buddha. The main reason for us for going is the cable car and it appears there is a gelato shop at Ngong Ping!

Do you have any other recommendations for Hong Kong? We are thinking of doing a night-time cruise to see the lights. There is a cruise aboard a wooden junk that leaves from Kowloon Public Pier #3 at 7:40pm to see the Symphony of Lights.

Thanks for all your help.

We did the Big Buddha in October. We took the train from our station in Kowloon all the way to where we caught the Gondola or Cable Car ride. The ride takes a good 20-30 minutes as it goes across a couple of bays. It is a great experience and the walk from where you alight to the Big Buddha is not very far.

We used an Oyster card for the train but you do need to buy a ticket for the Cable Car when you leave the train.

Enjoy, if it is a sunny day go for it but if it is hazy, it is not worth the journey as once you arrive at the Big Buddha the view is not so good.

Jennie

We used an Oyster card for the train but you do need to buy a ticket for the Cable Car when you leave the train.

Oyster Card? Wrong part of the world or are you saying that your London card worked in Hong Kong? :D

I agree, the ride on the gondola was spectacular and the short hike to the Big Buddha was fun too, especially when you're trying to resist visiting every one of those shops along the way.

Hong Kong has an Oyster card for use on the MTR and buses. I didn't know that London has one as well. Singapore has the Octopus card.

Close, but not quite right...

Singapore - EZ-Link card

Hong Kong - Octopus card

London - Oyster card

Yes, the Octopus card in Hong Kong can be used on buses, trams, trains, Star Ferry, fast food (McDonald's) and more. A great thing to have for anyone spending some time in Hong Kong.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from this exact trip. Started out on about 8:3o am and returned by 2p.m after a wonderful day. The subway takes about 30 minutes. This takes you directly to the cable car which is about a half hour ride. Then it is an nice short easy walk to BUdha and most importantly have the vegitarian lunch at the monestary. It was great and a wonderful nice day. Pat

Just returned from this exact trip. Started out on about 8:3o am and returned by 2p.m after a wonderful day. The subway takes about 30 minutes. This takes you directly to the cable car which is about a half hour ride. Then it is an nice short easy walk to BUdha and most importantly have the vegitarian lunch at the monestary. It was great and a wonderful nice day. Pat

Could you please tell us the details of your day out? We will be on Diamond Princess and will visit Hong Kong overnight in April. We plan to make this trip on our second day.

I assume you went to Lantau Island -- anything not to be missed, other than the cable car ride and the Big Buddha.

I hope it has changed, but when we were there several years ago, you had to get your ticket to go inside the Buddha at the bottom of the steps. Needless to say, we didn't go in after we'd climbed all those steps. I'll bet someone who has been there recently would have better information. :D

We were there last October and we didn't go inside the Big Buddha. I am not sure if I saw people going inside. I was just glad to look at the wonderful view from the top of the steps though it was a warm day and quite hazy.

It is a climb but well worth it.

Jennie

You take the subway directly from Kawloon (so if you are not on that side you need to take the Star Ferry over to that side) to the Lantau Island stop (a 30 minute ride) where you get off the subway and cross a small outdoor plaza to pick up the cable car. Everything in Hong Kong public transportation is very EASY and well marked. The only key is that sometimes you need exact change but NOT on the subway. You see signs which are well marked in English. After buying your ticket for the cable car (you need to decide one way or round trip...we did round trip....but you CAN take a ferry back instead which brings you to the side which is "Central"....you might want to look into that) and then take the cable car which brings you to a little village near the Budha statue. In the village there are shops and other options of ways to spend your money. There are movies to watch, exhibits to visit, a tea shop etc. Otherwise, you walk thru the village and stroll a bit towards the budha which is very obvious. Then you must buy a ticket at the bottom of MANY steps to climb to the Budha. The ticket includes entrance into the inside of the Budha which has a small museum (I didn't think this was a must see) and your option of either a snack or the veggie lunch which is served at the monestary below. I highly recommend the lunch. It was amazing! After climbing the steps to the Budha, we then visited the monestary for lunch, went to the tea house, didn't do much shopping but headed back via cable car and subway. We did all of this between about 8:30 and 2:30. It was a wonderful day and quite easy to do on your own. Pat

• 4 years later...

You do not need to cross from HK island to Kowloon or vice versa for the Orange line as it runs from Central through Kowloon to Tung Chung. Just get on either side of the harbour.

The Octopus card costs 50 HK$ plus whatever amount you wish to add for the actual fares. We started off paying 150 HK$ which covered us easily for 3 days. The card can also be used on trams and buses and

Another good trip is to Chi Lin Monastery and Nan Lian Gardens which are right next door to each other - no entry charges either. Take the Green line to Diamond Hill and exit at Hollywood Plaza - both are signposted from there, just few minutes walk. If you have time, take a 92 bus from Diamond Hill to Sai Kung which has a lovely promenade, pier, fishing boats and a number of shops and restaurants. If you are there on a week-end you will see a huge variety of pedigree dogs being walked by their owners. A great day out and far from the madding crowds.