First cruise, Vision of the seas, table for two?

Esther5

Hi there,

This is my first posting. Just booked my first cruise. Going to Norway for 5 days in August with my 10 year old daughter. (Hubby and teenage son aren't interested in cruising). Very excited and a bit nervous!

I've requested first sitting for the evening meal and a table for two. Would this be seen as being anti-social? Didn't give it any thought when I requested it, I don't know if I'd like to sit on a table with people I don't know, holding polite converstaion...probably feel like I'm at a wedding.

What do others do? Do you try and stay just as a family/friends or is it more usual to mix with lots of other people? Ifyou're seated with those you don't know, I guess you have to wait until all are seated before you eat? What happens if some turn up really late?

I'm also aware that this request may not be granted. Maybe they'll see we're a mother and child and decide that a married couple are better off on a table for two....if the tables are limited. That'd be bit unfair as I'm obviously paying full adult price for my daughter!

Aprreciate anyone's advice or experiences about this! Thank you

Esther

No, it wouldn't be at all unsociable. There are many places onboard for both you and your daughter to meet people and socialize. You needn't feel required to do so at dinner with people you didn't select and who you don't know.

However, there are members here who may come and try to persuade you that you really "must" try a large table because they're "better and more fun" and on and on. Basically, they will tell you that you are wrong for asking for or prefering a small table just for the two of you. We prefer a table just for our family, so I find it kind of rude when people say such things. We've seen people at large tables who are quite obviously not having fun and who look quite uncomfortable. And I would never tell someone who prefers the large tables that they are in any way wrong for doing so.

You should request what you want and not worry about it. I can imagine it would be nice for you and your daughter to have some one-on-one time. Just because you're not a "couple" doesn't mean you don't deserve to request a table for two.

beachchick

When I used to cruise with my husband, we always asked to sit at a large table because we enjoyed getting to know new people, and many of them are still friends years and years later. But now that I'm cruising with my twins, I always request a table for 4 for the 3 of us, and we always receive it. I want to have dinners alone with them when we're on vacation. I think it sounds wonderful for the two of you to spend that time together each evening.

I cruised with my parents as a kid, and it was very enriching to share meals with strangers - learning about other people, learning to converse, etc., so I would suggest that you try eating in the dining room at breakfast or lunch a time or two (during those meals you'll usually be seated at a large table with other passengers arriving the same time as you). It certainly can be hit or miss, but it's a great experience.

Have a great trip.

Best,

Mia

Thanks for the replies.

Feel reassured that it's not so strange to just want to spend time with my daughter!!

I've booked and paid the deposit already, but only recievd the brochure today...looks a bit scarey as it's all so big!!

Esther

When you board the ship, go to the dining room and look at your table assignment (it will be listed on the front of your Seapass card). If it isn't what you requested, make sure to check your Compass for the times to see the Maitre'd that afternoon to make dining changes. If at all possible they will accommodate you, if not the first night then later in the cruise, but because there is a limited number of tables for 2 you may not get what you want.

There is nothing wrong with requesting a table for 2, but I would advise you not to be afraid of getting a larger table if they can't accommodate your request. If you don't get a table for 2, most likely they will seat you with other people with kids so that would be something you'd have in common to talk about.

Do what your heart tells you to do - if you want a table for 2 by all means do it. Your DD will be grown and gone before you know it so cherish this time that you have! Either way you will be just fine - there is no such thing as doing something wrong on a cruise - other than NOT having fun - that would be all wrong - enjoy!! There is nothing scarey about it - just exciting, good times ahead!!

Archived