I love ebay - Best deal you've had

bankerlkd

Just bought a Tux via ebay today - 29.99 :D

An unfortunate cancelled family event -( I read someone got cold feet ) evidently the tux has not even been worn except for tailoring.

Needless to say it might need some minor alterations to hem etc which I'll see when it arrives.

I'll let you know if its such a good deal when it arrives and I try it on.

What's your best deal off ebay??

I haven't gotten my best deal yet, just won it a few days ago. It is a formal top, dress and a few other pieces for my next cruise for $17. I also bought my dress for myeslf and DD for last years cruise on e-bay. I thin I payed less than $30 for them both. Would have never thought to do it until I read about it here. I plan on putting a few dresses back on e-bay in the spring to see if I can clean out the closet and make room for some more. :p I love e-bay!

I admire all you who find such great deals on Ebay. I know I could find the deals, too, but I don't see how I'd ever know if they would fit right and look good.

I can try on 20 dresses/skirts/pants/jeans in stores, or more, before finding one that works. To me, finding a dress that fits without trying it on would be so chancy.

I know you can go by measurements, but I quite often find clothes that fit, yet don't look good on me at all. I guess it's essential to know your own style and which brands fit you best, but I'm just not willing to try it. I seem a pretty normal size to me, but obviously I'm not, since finding clothes is so hard. I imagine returns are a big hassle.

How do you do it? Maybe it helps to have a figure that fits into a very standard size, but I know not everyone who buys on Ebay does. I'd really like to know how others manage to find clothes that fit without try-ons!

I'd really like to know how others manage to find clothes that fit without try-ons!

If a clothing seller is any good at all, they will list basic measurements (bust, waist, hips, shoulder to shoulder). And be happy AND quick to reply to any question asking for other specific measurements. IMHO, you should avoid at all costs any listing that says e.g., "Lovely red dress in a size 10, like new" and that's ALL the info that is provided. If a seller can't provide basic important information, they aren't (again IMHO) terribly interested in potential customers.

I wear a standard size, so it isn't a HUGE deal to me. But lots of people recommend finding something you already own, that fits perfectly, and taking the measurements of that garment. Then you can compare with the info provided by a seller.

And if the occasional item doesn't fit, you can always relist it .... works for me. And I've got a WHACK of clothes to measure and sell in the next while; won't need cruise clothes for a year, so want to reclaim my closet space!

edited to add: You are correct, most sellers won't refund for "bad fit" or "doesn't suit me" -- only if the seller has made a GLARING error in the description.

My best deal? Not sure, I've had lots, but probably my amethyst & seed pearl earrings. I used to collect vintage jewelry, and these are wonderful earrings.

I've had really good luck over the years with ebay and have gotten great deals on makeup, jewelry and all sorts of items. But the best deal I got was on my custom made wedding dress. Yes, I was crazy enough to do this. I didn't want to spend a fortune on a dress, but I did want it to look like the designer gowns in the Bridal magazines. I found a listing for a company that showed all sorts of beautiful dresses that they would replicate for you for a fraction of the cost. They had really great ratings, so I said what the heck and bought a dress. They make it to your measurements. I got it shipped to me in less than 3 weeks. It was beautiful and it fit perfectly. Now comes the big question - Yes, it was made in China. This was pre all the misery occuring with products from that country. I did look great that day. Would I do it again? - Oh boy - probably.

I once got a copper top from Banana Republic. Still had it's tags on with a copper beaded neck. I had been admiring it in the BR store for over $100. The picture on Ebay looked horrific, but I knew what it really looked like, got it for $4.99 :)

Unfortunately, if the item was still being sold in a retail store at full price, chances are you bought a stolen item. It's not uncommon for retailers to have a bunch of stuff, including whole small displays, stolen from stores. People work in teams, some keeping the staff occupied while others walk off with the stuff. Unfortunately videos are only watched later, after the thieves are long gone to another mall. We are very careful about people coming in with large bags and people coming in in groups and seperating. If you are shopping with friends and feel like the staff is watching you too closely, please remember this, thieves look like everyone else. I don't care to support criminals and I think the vast majority of people don't either, so just be careful, Ebay is a great place for stolen goods to be unloaded.

If the item was from last season, or last year, you may have gotten a legitimate piece from a person who just didn't like it after all. Most retailers will mark their pieces down, have stuff sent to outlets, etc.... They don't sell their new goods on Ebay.

Unfortunately, if the item was still being sold in a retail store at full price, chances are you bought a stolen item. It's not uncommon for retailers to have a bunch of stuff, including whole small displays, stolen from stores. People work in teams, some keeping the staff occupied while others walk off with the stuff. Unfortunately videos are only watched later, after the thieves are long gone to another mall. We are very careful about people coming in with large bags and people coming in in groups and seperating. If you are shopping with friends and feel like the staff is watching you too closely, please remember this, thieves look like everyone else. I don't care to support criminals and I think the vast majority of people don't either, so just be careful, Ebay is a great place for stolen goods to be unloaded.

If the item was from last season, or last year, you may have gotten a legitimate piece from a person who just didn't like it after all. Most retailers will mark their pieces down, have stuff sent to outlets, etc.... They don't sell their new goods on Ebay.

I think it was about 6 months after I saw it in the store.

I had 3 very bad experiences with Ebay-which I have posted before-LONG stories-I won't post again- if anyone is interested they can do a search-but lets just say I will not use Ebay OR Paypal ever again.

I agree with KS also- I got some super deals on jewelry-and now- after I have realized the caliber of many of the people who sell on Ebay, I can't help but wonder if I have received stolen goods. Never again!

I have found new with tags items at garage sales, with an asking price of $1.00. The seller received item as a gift and does not like it or it did not fit. Some people do not think about returning things to the store. I have not had a trouble as a buyer on ebay; however I have had some buyers try to scam me when I sold things, claiming they did not receive, etc., when delivery confirmation proves they did. If they want to claim non-receipt, they can file an insurance claim with the P.O. and risk breaking federal law. It is amazing how many items arrive when you direct buyers to the post office to file a claim.

I have found new with tags items at garage sales, with an asking price of $1.00. The seller received item as a gift and does not like it or it did not fit. Some people do not think about returning things to the store. I have not had a trouble as a buyer on ebay; however I have had some buyers try to scam me when I sold things, claiming they did not receive, etc., when delivery confirmation proves they did. If they want to claim non-receipt, they can file an insurance claim with the P.O. and risk breaking federal law. It is amazing how many items arrive when you direct buyers to the post office to file a claim.

Funy you should mention that. I was the other end. The buyer sent paypal a link "showing" "confirmation" that I received my item. Pay pal accepted this as "proof". One problem- the link showed my town but NOT my zip code, but Paypal still stood by the seller.

The post office did NOT like this as they said it was impossible that theymixed zipcodes as the mail would be on differant trucks and carriers-a carrier could accidently deliver to my neighbor who had the same zip and the same carrier, but NOT to someone with a differant zip code.

What was really intersting to me-is this item had been delivered 30 minutesd after I flied my claim. Quite a coincidnence as this seller has strong me along for 3 weeks promising me they would refund me.

This seller was a power seller who sold thousands of items every month on Ebay. My town has a popualtion of over $100,000. The psot office believed fraud that the seller had simply sent "proof" of the delivery of another item they had sold-to keep from refunding me the lost item.

Later on, (around 3 or 4 months after this) Ebay sent me notice that this person had lost their selling privileges at their site, not that I cared, as Pay Pal still refused to refund me-this showed me that their "guarantee" is worthless.

I have bought and sold many things on eBay over the last 11 years and have had only a few minor problems.

The best "deal" I ever got on eBay was finding an exact replacement for an antique majolica plate that I originally received from my grandma shortly after our marriage in 1984 (she had received it for a wedding gift in 1933) and was broken in 1995 during a cross country move. I know it is not the *same* plate but it made me so happy to be able to find an identical one.

I then took the pieces of the broken plate and made them into a mosaic frame in which I display a wedding picture of her and my grandpa.

Wow, the range of postings from bad to good have me a bit skeptical.

I have purchased a few designer bags from Ebay (all proved authentic) and so far have not expericenced any problems.

The only issue I had was when I ordered a Versace Vase that arrived broken (it was poorly packed). After a few emails and pictures my monies were refunded.

For the first time, I have posted to sell some one of my Gucci bags and a pair of Coach shoes but after reading mistyflannigan 's posting. I am concerned about a buyer pulling a fast one.

Any suggestions from anyone to protect myself.????? If they sell, should I mail item with signature required return receipt??

Wow, the range of postings from bad to good have me a bit skeptical.

I have purchased a few designer bags from Ebay (all proved authentic) and so far have not expericenced any problems.

The only issue I had was when I ordered a Versace Vase that arrived broken (it was poorly packed). After a few emails and pictures my monies were refunded.

For the first time, I have posted to sell some one of my Gucci bags and a pair of Coach shoes but after reading mistyflannigan 's posting. I am concerned about a buyer pulling a fast one.

Any suggestions from anyone to protect myself.????? If they sell, should I mail item with signature required return receipt??

Up the shipping price so you can pay for the signature on arrival. (Registered mail I think?) With that, it proves who received the item-whereas the tracking only proves what zip code received the item. That was the problem with my item. The post office knew the item did not come to my address-but they had no idea who in the other zipcode received it. They only believed fraud from the seller because the tracking number was not my zip code. They recommended to me that if I bought from Ebay in the future that I pay the extra shipping amount, that would require a signature from the person who received the package-that way I could prove I had not received an item if I did not get it.

That would also work for you-because if a person signed that they received a package-they know they can't say they did not receive the package-they would up on charges for frauding the US postal service in a blink of an eye.

Are these designer items your very first auctions? If you are new to selling, you may find yourself limited in how many designer auctions you can post. Anything you sell for $200 or more requires signature delivery confirmation (Paypal requires it). Send items via Priority Mail. Also, pay for the insurance - insurance protects YOU the seller, NOT the buyer. With designer items such as the ones you've mentioned, you might consider some of those zip tie things. That way if a buyer wants to return an item for whatever reason, you can require that the item be returned EXACTLY as received meaning the ugly plastic zip tie must still be in place.

Are these designer items your very first auctions? If you are new to selling, you may find yourself limited in how many designer auctions you can post. Anything you sell for $200 or more requires signature delivery confirmation (Paypal requires it). Send items via Priority Mail. Also, pay for the insurance - insurance protects YOU the seller, NOT the buyer. With designer items such as the ones you've mentioned, you might consider some of those zip tie things. That way if a buyer wants to return an item for whatever reason, you can require that the item be returned EXACTLY as received meaning the ugly plastic zip tie must still be in place.

Oh, something else. You need to PROVE that your items are authentic. Selling of reproductions (fakes) is illegal. If you can't prove authenticity by showing a receipt in your pictures (don't provide the actual receipt to a buyer), your auctions could be pulled. If you arent 100% certain the items are authentic because you bought them at Gucci or Coach, there's an authentication site called caroldiva (dot) com where for a small fee, your items will be authenticated. You can also post pix on the "shoes, purses & fashion accessories" forum. There are some real pros there, who can tell you if what you are selling is authentic.

Any suggestions from anyone to protect myself.?????

There's also the scam where someone buys & wins an authentic item, then decides to return "it". The buyer doesn't return the original item, (s)he returns a fake. The seller is SOL. If you have authentication, find yourself a good consignment store, or try Craigslist or Kijiji. Or offer it to an ebay reseller who has a good reputation.

Selling high end designer goods on ebay has become a nightmare for legitimate sellers.

There's also the scam where someone buys & wins an authentic item, then decides to return "it". The buyer doesn't return the original item, (s)he returns a fake. The seller is SOL. If you have authentication, find yourself a good consignment store, or try Craigslist or Kijiji. Or offer it to an ebay reseller who has a good reputation.

Selling high end designer goods on ebay has become a nightmare for legitimate sellers.

Exactly why I said to affix a zip tie to the designer items before shipping. Or you could use one of the invisible ink markers to put your seller's mark inside the bag or shoe - can't be seen without black light. They sell the pens & lights on eBay. They 're very inexpensive. A potential scammer wants to return the item and seller makes mention of verifying their seller's mark - that will often put a stop to the scam.

I got a great deal on Spanx! :) Got the Slim Cognito Body Shaper that retails for $74 for around $30. I got 2 actually....very happy with all my purchases on Ebay. I don't know about buying dresses though...I am in the "have to try it on" bunch. :)

Before 9/11, I had a small online business specializing in fancy little girls dresses. I occasionally sold some of my overstock on Ebay but was really annoyed at the number of buyers who tried to pull a fast ones. Ironically, the buyers who gave me the most trouble are those who are purchasing frilly dresses for their daughters to wear to church. Sometimes I will sell something I do not want or need on Ebay but I avoid selling children's items because I found that is where the most problems occur, usually with $50-100 items where the mom has buyer's remorse. As a buyer, I am ususually pretty happy with my Ebay purchases and have not encountered too many dishonest sellers; of course, most of the items I buy online are not super expensive.

Wow, great advice. Thank you all.

Unfortunately, I dont have receipts for all the items since I have purchased them for myself and just never worn. I have the receipts for both Gucci bags; however one is a few months old and the receipts has faded to the point that only certain pieces of information appear.

I guess I will try to authenticate via the suggested website.

Once again, thanks for the great advice.

Archived