To Budaman

joycek

:)Hi,

We returned from our Dec. 7th Star flyer trip. I wanted to thank-you for all your advice, especially to stay at the Radisson. Loved it there, we had 4 days pre & 1 day post - beautiful.

All the best, Joyce K.

Thanks! Glad I was able to give you some insight that maybe made your voyage a little more enjoyable.

Only problem, is that the Star Flyer cruise through FP is so special in so many ways, it is going to be hard for any other cruise to stand up.

Mike

Even though you are going to Tahiti on my birthday, and I'm not, I'll try to answer.

You don't need much in the way of clothes......for the 7day, maybe 4 days of mix & match outfits. Send dirties to laundry on 4th day to wear the rest of the week. Minimum 2 swimsuits, 3 would be better. Water shoes, a pair of sandles and a pair of athletic shoes(for climbing the mast & some of the land excursions) are the shoe basics.

We packed very minimilistic....one bag each, plus a carry-on. We were able to get all our scuba gear, clothes and photo & video gear in that and still come under the 50lb checked limit & 22lb carry-on weight. I have to admit, we had to buy a bag there to get the souveniers back though!

If you are prone to sea sickness, take what you need. The ship does move a tad. It didn't affect us, but there were a few folks that looked a little green.

Mike

Oh, one other thing......take lots of money or credit cards!

Even though you are going to Tahiti on my birthday, and I'm not, I'll try to answer.

You don't need much in the way of clothes......for the 7day, maybe 4 days of mix & match outfits. Send dirties to laundry on 4th day to wear the rest of the week. Minimum 2 swimsuits, 3 would be better. Water shoes, a pair of sandles and a pair of athletic shoes(for climbing the mast & some of the land excursions) are the shoe basics.

We packed very minimilistic....one bag each, plus a carry-on. We were able to get all our scuba gear, clothes and photo & video gear in that and still come under the 50lb checked limit & 22lb carry-on weight. I have to admit, we had to buy a bag there to get the souveniers back though!

If you are prone to sea sickness, take what you need. The ship does move a tad. It didn't affect us, but there were a few folks that looked a little green.

Mike

Oh, one other thing......take lots of money or credit cards!

Swimmy suits *check* photo gear *check* money money money *check*

Thank goodness we're not prone to seasickness! :D

p.s. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

What about long pants, etc. Star Clippers requires for the dining room at dinner time? They seem to want men to wear a shirt with a collar on it and women have to wear a dress or long pants. Seems unreasonable but there your are. Guess it's their boat...but can we get away with less?

The Welcome Aboard docs state thus: Shorts or t-shirts are not to be worn in the dining room in the evening. (page 6)

I'll probably wear my sundresses and my hubby will wear his slacks and Tommy Bahama shirts. Or maybe he'll wear my sundresses and I'll wear those TB shirts ;)

I was onboard recently- and guy was turned away with shorts on for dinner, he had to go change... he didn't know. So yes, they do enforce it.. and for ladies sundresses are fine.

What you don't need- I was surprised at the big basket of shower stuff, bath gel. lotion, soap, shower cap, qtips... so you don't have to worry about that stuff unless you want your own.

There was also a hair dryer which was nice.

Yes, swimsuits and coverups a must! And water shoes!

Good water shoes were a must, we had 3 little Kodak underwater cameras with 27 EXP each for about $9 ea that we ordered online..VERY glad we did! 2 swimsuits would be fine..we were glad we had gotten all our FRP money from Bank of America, in small bills, BEFORE the trip..our friends could not get their ATM card to work any where in Papeete and we split our $$ with them. I wore the same 2 pair of capris nearly every day..long pants for dinner with some nice tops..TB shirts are perfect for men for dinner. On Raiatea at Le Fare are some nice looking and good priced shirts for men if he wants another one! Straight up and to the left..One night is a little dressier for the ladies. Men have to wear long pants at night. We used their fins..don't take your own..also they have snorkels and masks if needed..we had our own..LIGHTweight cotton tops for women..it is HOT there..long sleeves are nice on one shirt so when you have had a little too much sun it covers and protects you. Take sun block. A swimsuit cover up would have been nice..I used a shirt of my husband's. Shorts for day. No jewelry needed..shell necklaces all over the place!!

have fun..Sherry

PS..lots of books on board and good computers..

One other note on the mens pants......they don't need to be fancy. I took 2 pair, one of which I wore on the flight....both light cotton. In fact one pair had the zip off legs, so they doubled as another pair of shorts. Really, the only time you will be in long pants is at dinner.

The bathroom sundries were nice...I had forgotten about that.

Mike

Budaman -- I'm also taking a pair of those pants with the zip off legs and two pairs of cotton pants. I'm planning to wear the zip offs on the flights to and from Sacramento, CA. Feb is a cold, rainy month here so I'm also taking a windbreaker with a hood (it folds up in its own pocket). We tried ponchos the first time we went to FP but found this is a good way to slow cook yourself in the tropic heat. Beyond that, I'm taking a couple of polo shirts (with Hawaiian designs), 3 pairs of combined swimsuit and shorts, and a big handfull of tee shirts. We're on the Star Flyer for 11 days and then staying an extra week on Huahine. I may need more clothes than I'm planning to take but I can always buy something. I also understand that there is a laundrymat on Huahine which ought to be cheaper than laundry on the Star Flyer.

Our first trip to FP was during November and it was chilly when we left the states. It didn't take long after landing that I was unzipping the legs!

I do seem to remember seeing a laundry next to the market in Huahine.

Mike

It has been pretty well covered what to take, now I will say what not to take - don't take too much, keep it down. It is totally casual. We got away with carry on bags, 1 each & I had a second bag over my shoulder. People had huge suitcases & on the way home said they never even unpacked it all. Now diving gear is different.

There was lots of lost luggage (as in airline travel today) so keep that in mind.

We wore on the plane light pants, a sweater, & windbreaker, & did not need them at all. It did help a bit the night we arrived home :confused: to a blizzard, minus 35 deg. C, & the taxi could not get up our driveway.

Get me back to Tahiti, we had a super time.

Bon Voyage to anyone going!

Archived