Hawaiian 14day cruise pro's and con's

ckr31

I've not done this cruise on Princess, only Celebrity. It is my favorite itinerary because of all the sea days. Depending on the time of the year, it can be cool the first two and last two days. I'd much rather do a sailing to and around the islands rather than just a sailing around the islands for a week. I like the ships that Princess is using on this itinerary so I would think it would be a wonderful cruise.

We liked the 15 day cruise so much, we took it twice. We always like the longest cruises, as we enjoy the sea days as well as the ports. Now that Princess is down to 14 days and misses Kona, we might possibly look for a different line next year, if anyone else has one over 14 days.

Pros-Great cruise, loved the sea days, no complaintsl Done this cruise many times. love it!

Cons-none!

Another pro (at least for me): you don't fly to Hawaii. For my family, it's an hour's drive to the port and that's it.

We've been talking about taking this cruise again.

We just got back (12-10-08) from our Hawaii cruise and we really enjoyed it.

My pros - My husband and I really enjoyed the days at sea. I enjoyed the fact that my hubby could not get reception on his blackberry and he was forced to relax.

There is a lot to do on the ship so if you are looking for activities, I am certain you will not get bored.

My cons - Not enough time on the islands. I really should not put this as a con, but on a couple of the island, we wished that we could have had more time. We did feel as if we were given ample time to get the Hawaiian experience, but just wanted one more day...one more hour.

We probably would not do as many excursions as we did. We rented a car on one island and it was the best day. We could go anywhere and do what we wanted.

I say go for it, if you do not like it....you do not have to take that specific cruise again.;)

We liked the 15 day cruise so much, we took it twice. We always like the longest cruises, as we enjoy the sea days as well as the ports. Now that Princess is down to 14 days and misses Kona, we might possibly look for a different line next year, if anyone else has one over 14 days.

This is exactly my sentiments on the reduction to 14 days. :( It's a shame they reduced it & eliminated Kona but I suppose they could attract more passengers that way since it fits peoples schedules better. If we lived on the west coast I would be cruising to Hawaii 2 or 3 times yearly since it beats anything in the Caribbean by a long shot other than Bermuda.

As long as you don't want a lot of time in each port I can't see any cons. We loved the 15 day trip. Sea days are the greatest for relaxing, being active, and doing whatever you choose. Sailing among the islands was beautiful, and we saw lots of whales. We didn't see any downside to the entire trip--oh, except for disembarking at the end!

Here's another "pro" vote. I've taken this cruise with Princess twice, in 2006 and 2008, and am booked to take it again in March 2010. I am disappointed that Kona has been eliminated from the itinerary, but have read here on CC that it is the most often missed port because of ocean conditions making to impossible to get into port. That may have played a part in Princess' decision to drop that port.

The sea days are wonderful, the days in the islands are great, and the knowledge that one is away from the drudgery of the everyday life for 2 weeks is very relaxing.

Some say a day on each island is not enough time, but we found that by taking tours of the important sights in the mornings, and using the rest of the day to explore on our own, allowed us to maximize our time there. And for people who have not been to Hawaii before, this cruise is a wonderful way to get a "taste" of each island.

Unless one does not like sea days, I can think of no "cons" to this cruise.

After doing many land vacations to the islands we took our first cruise to Hawaii on the Diamond in 2007. We love it so much that we are doing it again on the Golden next oct. Love the sea days, lots to do and while there was a little disppointment that we will miss Kona next year we will just go with the flow and enjoy whatever island we see.

By the way do a search on this Princess site; there is some reviews of this very trip.

Marilyn

We are looking at this cruise also. I love sea days but have never had that many. Can anyone tell me what is the best time to go?

On our cruise we went Nov. 3 of 2007 and had absolutely perfect weather. but then again the cruise before us had extremely rocky waters from L.A. to the islands. You just cannot predict what the weather will be. Now I am going next year at the end of Oct so hopefully we will have good weather. usually the first 2 days and the last 2 days are a little rocky leaving L.A. and then it gets warmer as you get close to the islands. Good luck in picking a good time. You just cannot predict what is story weather out there.

Marilyn

Pros - Love the sea days. Felt totally relaxed. Love the islands - some wish I had more time on, Some it did not matter.

Cons - it ended and I had to go back to work

We plan on doing this again, like other posters however, we will miss Kona, it was one of our favorite ports.

Pros - Lots of sea days. A good way to relax and do whatever you want with no time constraints. We believe it's good to have sea days in the beginning of a cruise so we can unwind. A sampling of the various ports. This way, when we want to do a land vacation, we know which ports we want to stay at and which ones we don't.

Cons - The let-down at the end of a fabulous cruise and returning to the "real world". The real world is good but it's not a cruise.

Pros: Everything!! :D:D Love the sea days, the length of the cruise and the islands visited. Long day in Honolulu is great! Since you live in Vegas, it will be easy to get to LA - no need to fly if you don't want to. I have done this cruise 3 times and have the 4th one booked for Thanksgiving 2009.

Cons: Seas can be rough. My October 2007 cruise was very rough on the first night out of LA. But you never know -- it could be smooth sailing. I would never let the sea conditions stop me.

Hello,

Just got off 2 weeks ago, I did enjoy myself but it left me wanting more island time. I have already planned my next Vaacay to Hawaii Via land.

It was a great way to get a taste of most of the Islands.

altho No Kona run this year.

Im glad i did it, but would not do it again. Unless it was changed up some how. Kona back would be a start.;)

Archived