Scandinavia in August

hellokitty49

Any one been on a Scandinavian cruise in August on the Grand Princess. Anyone have any weather/seas experience in this area? I know you can't predict weather/seas but I was just curious. We sail from Southampton to Norway, Copenhagen, Sweden, etc.

In looking at these Boards I don't seem many who have sailed the Grand or Scandinavia.

I've been on four cruises in that area and it's really a spin of the wheel. I've been there when the temps were in the low 60's for two weeks and other times it was in the mid 80's. With the crazy weather we've all been having, it's really tough to predict. When I was in Copenhagen this past July, the temps were in the mid to high 70's.

August is a wonderful time in Scandinavia. Although you won't have the midnight sun, you'll have the "really, really late night sun" if you visit early in the month. The air temps will be anywhere from 50s to 70s. You will have rain, that's a given, but it usually doesn't rain all the time or every day. Norway's west coast benefits from the Gulf Stream, so the summer climate is usually quite temperate. In fact, the botanical garden in Tromso has a wonderful tropical area. It's really amazing. (Funny story: I lived in Norway as an exchange student in high school. My Norwegian family and friends simply could not understand why we don't swim in the Pacific all year. After all, CA is hot all the time, right? I had to show them that without the Gulf Stream to bring warm water, our ocean temps of low 40s to low 60s on a good year is actually colder than a good portion of their coast in the summer. OTOH, the year I was there, Norway had one of its hottest summers on record with daily temps averaging in the high 70s to mid 80s where we lived in the south.)

Scandinavia is not to be missed.

beachchick

Don't forget to check out the Northern Europe/Baltics ports of call forum. It is a very busy forum and you will find plenty of people and lots of information about the area.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

I didn't see a roll call for your cruise but you can go to the Grand Princess roll call forum and start one: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=303

Roll calls are the place to meet other people who will be cruising with you.

I didn't cruise on the Grand Princess but you can check out my photo album by just clicking the link in my signature file.

Archived