Insurance question

zgs

It is less than three weeks until our Majesty cruise and I still haven't bought insurance.

Questions:

1. Is it too late?

2. What do you look for? I've been to InsureMyTrip and was so intimidated by all the options that I did nothing. The cruise and airfare were fairly inexpensive, so I'm not too worried about that. My biggest concern is if we had any type of medical emergency. Although I don't anticipate any problems, I wouldn't want to tempt fate.

So, any recommendations?

TIA

Besides obviously for medical, if you are flying, it's a good idea to get it this time of year with the flight delays, weather etc across the whole country.

2 years ago we got caught up in the JetBlue nonsense, literally on our way to the airport we checked in online and it said "flight canceled". Long long story short we made it AND the exact same thing happened on the way home! On the way home, we were moved by Jetblue to a flight 2 days later out of orlando and had to drive from FLL to Orlando to take that flight.

Here's what was covered when we submitted our claims:

Trip down: nothing. due to "air carrier malfunction". We had to spend about $1600 out of pocket to get down on our own. This was the JetBlue repositioning issue that people may remember where they couldn't get their pilots back in the right cities in time. We never would have thought this situation was not covered!

Trip Home: covered. Reason was "air carrier Delay". there is a difference. Jet Blue covered our trip from orlando home (as they should!) and insurance covered renting the car to drive to orlando, all meals and hotels the 2 days we were delayed.

After numerous calls with the insurance company we also found out that they only cover "one incident" per trip. So, even if the flight down was covered, the other one wouldn't have been.

Would we get insurance again - definately. However, this time we will be asking a lot more questions in terms of what exactly is covered in terms of airline situations since that is our primary concern traveling in Feb from Northeast. We want to be able to have our expectations set.

PS: this was TravelGuard

I use STATRAVEL.COM which is a student travel site but they insure anyone, 48$ per person for up to 8 day coverage. I had to make one claim and I had my money in 2 weeks. The coverage is very comprehensive also.

My experience exactly. Very pleased with statravel.com. Go to their website and you'll find the phone number. In fact, I just did it for you: 800-781-4040. They will answer any questions. Very nice people, and a very simple process.

Be aware that if you made your reservation some time back, you cannot be covered for preexisting conditions. If you want that kind of coverage, you need to purchase your insurance within two weeks of your deposit or something like that. Each company has its own deadline, I suspect.

Another good thing about Statravel is they do not charge more according to age. We are senior citizens and appreciate that.

Happy cruising.

Archived