SCUBA Diving in Acapulco, Manzanillo, Ixtapa

SCUBA Mark

All

We are going on a cruise to Acapulco, Manzanillo, and Ixtapa/Z the first week of February.

I wanted to see if anyone has dove in these places. Is it good? What would the water temps be that time of the year? Any private dive shop recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Mark

All

We are going on a cruise to Acapulco, Manzanillo, and Ixtapa/Z the first week of February.

I wanted to see if anyone has dove in these places. Is it good? What would the water temps be that time of the year? Any private dive shop recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi Mark,

My DW and I dove Manzanillo in December 05as part of a discovery dive. We were not certified at the time. IIRC, we wore full 3mm wetsuits for both our pool work and dive. The dive was very nice. Lots of things to see on a rock wall our DM took us to.

http://www.gomanzanillo.com/scubamex/index.htm

I'm almost positive this was the dive shop we used. We were there as part of a cruise, but we booked this with Shore Trips.

Hope this helps.

Joe

I've never given much consideration to diving the Pacific side of Mexico, but I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks. I was suspecting that.

I have dove in Puerta Vallarta and Cabo in the month of October and the water temps were still in the 80s. PV was OK and Cabo was pretty nice. Neither were even close to Cozumel. I did see some critters I don't normally get to see like Moorish Idol, starfish, and seals.

If I do dive, I want to figure out how thick a wet suit I need to bring.

If I do dive, I want to figure out how thick a wet suit I need to bring.
In February I'd want at least a 5 mm full suit. Of course, temperature tolerances are definitely a YMMV kind of thing. I'd expect water temps in the low 70's.

All

Thanks in advance

Mark

Mark,

I have been diving in Acapulco. It was April 2006 but Acapulco is warm year round. When I was there in April, the water temps were 75-79. I wore a 3mm. Actually, it was good diving. And I saw my first Sea Horse. I can't remember the shop. I'm at my families house right now but when I get home, I'll look the shop up in my dive log. I really like my divemaster that took us out. And I did my photography course there. Some dives are drift dives, some aren't. But I enjoyed it. I did diving 2 days.

Ok, I forgot I have my dive photos in my I Photo so I just looked. It was the Acapulco Scuba Center in Acapulco.

Mark,

I have been diving in Acapulco. It was April 2006 but Acapulco is warm year round. When I was there in April, the water temps were 75-79. I wore a 3mm. Actually, it was good diving. And I saw my first Sea Horse. I can't remember the shop. I'm at my families house right now but when I get home, I'll look the shop up in my dive log. I really like my divemaster that took us out. And I did my photography course there. Some dives are drift dives, some aren't. But I enjoyed it. I did diving 2 days.

Ok, I forgot I have my dive photos in my I Photo so I just looked. It was the Acapulco Scuba Center in Acapulco.

Muchas Gracias

• 7 months later...

I have been looking for the same info. It seems from what I have found so far is that in March there are plankton blooms that reduce vis, May to November is their peak season, a 3mm full suit at that time of year (Feb) is minimum, and as a previous poster said , they have sea horses. I can not find any reviews of dive shops yet, but will keep you posted if I do. If you find anything else keep us posted. I am going first week in March. I have contacted a couple dive shops listed on PADI's site for the 3 stops, and they will get you to the dive shop from the ship. Manzanillo is a union port, so you have to get a cab, but the dive shop (http://www.gomanzanillo.com/scubamex/index.htm) will give you directions in spanish to help you. In Acapulco: http://www.acapulcoscuba.com/ingles/inicio.html, they will pick you up from the ship. Hope that helps.

Archived