Solstice Kids Club/Teen Club reviews

av01bps

We've been on Solstice twice but didn't travel with children. However, we did go through the kids/teens area both times we were on board (the first cruise didn't have everything in place yet). I was amazed. These areas have come a LONG way from what they were when we began sailing with our daughter 15 years ago. I can totally understand why kids/teens want to stay in these places the entire cruise. Can't speak for the programs or staff, but he facilities for kids and teens are terrific!

Am also very much looking forward to learning the experiences of other cruisers in these venues. We'll be sailing with a family group in late Feb. that includes children ages 7 - 13. ANY info would be appreciated, thanks!!

(Have already checked out all the fab photos other kind CC members have posted - the clubs look great!!!)

Am also very much looking forward to learning the experiences of other cruisers in these venues. We'll be sailing with a family group in late Feb. that includes children ages 7 - 13. ANY info would be appreciated, thanks!!

(Have already checked out all the fab photos other kind CC members have posted - the clubs look great!!!)

We're travelling in March on the Solstice with our boys ages 8 & 11. This is our second cruise, first was with NCL. We did not use the drop off kids clubs on NCL but the kids had lots to do outside of that. I booked X on impulse after finding a great deal and just assumed it would be similar. We've never had a lot of help with childcare so my kids are very comfortable in all sorts of venues sorts from fancy restaurants to the theatre but I'm a bit worried after reading some of the comments posted on other threads that they might not have enough to do outside of the kids club. Thanks for starting this thread, I'd be really interested in the info too!

We just got off the Dec 14-21 Solstice cruise. My 2 boys are 12 and 10.

Originally when I booked this cruise, it said that they would be in the same group. However, when we got on board, my 12 year old was classified as a "Teen" so they were split up.

We signed the 10 year old up for the "VIP" package which gave him unlimited late night parties (normally $6.00 an hour) which he had really enjoyed on our previous Carnival cruises (this was our first Celebrity cruise). The 12 year old had activities during the day, but after dinner, nothing until 10:00 PM which is when the late night party was supposed to start for the 10 year old.

The plan was to have them come back to the room together at night because I am way too nervous of a person to let my kid roam the ship solo at night, even if it is just back to the room. Scares me even with the two of them, but they are well behaved and had strict instructions.

Basically, no kids wanted to sign up for the late night parties and the first night, he got stuck one on one with the Counselor and was bored to tears. The next night they let him in with the Teens and they had fun. He didn't get to do all the activities such as the scavenger hunt, but it was much better. The stinky part was we had to go pick up the 10 year old at 1 AM because the rules were that only the Teens could sign themselves out at that hour. Frankly, we're not party animals so were already in bed by then!

The third night I took him up there for the late night party, and was told no one in his group signed up again and it would just be him and the Counselor. At that point I was a little upset. It wasn't their fault that no other kids wanted to stay late, but as I explained, I paid $95.00 for the package and I wanted to get my money's worth. I also told them that one of the reasons I chose this cruise is because they would be together. Then she said they recently changed the age groups around.

To make a long story short, I spoke to one of the Teen Counselors, and she agreed to let him stay for a little while that night so he wouldn't be bored. The next night, my husband took him up there and spoke to "Flo",the head Teen Counselor, and said that since he had behaved himself so well and showed he was responsible, that he was not only welcome to spend every night with the Teens, but he could leave with his big brother. Hallelujah! No more having to go get him!!!

Now I'm not saying that all of the younger kids should be able to hang out with the older ones, but I am very grateful they made an exception. It should be done on an individual basis. Also, the other Teens also had to say that it was OK as well.

It was too bad that not more kids his own age signed up, but what can you do? My suggestion is to see if any kids sign up on the clipboard in the Fun Factory for the late night party to see whether it will be worth it to get the VIP package. If there are a lot of kids, it's worth it. They get a nice backpack, a lanyard for their room key, and other things. Plus then they can stay for lunch and dinner for no charge if you want them to. Even when you're in port.

They both had a blast and say that it is the best cruise they have been on. The kids are more well behaved and don't run wild. Also, they are told that there are cameras everywhere watching them while on hunts, etc. and that if any other staff member calls the XClub to report thier bad behavior, they will be kicked out.

Flo is great and the kids really like him. He played basketball with them and always kept them busy.

They loved it and are begging to go back. Gee, twist my arm!

I'm sure there are other things I missed, but if you have any questions, please email me at thnakto at aol dot com.

Happy sailing!

Archived