Do smaller ships fill up faster?

Pettifogger

I asked this question recently and never got a responsive answer, probably because I asked it in the midst of someone else's thread. Please forgive me for asking it again.

If we can consider cruise ships in just two categories, 500 to 1500 as being smaller and over 1500 as being large, do the smaller ones fill up faster?

My impression from shopping for cruises on the smaller ships, but, in the process, reading the offers of cabins on the larger ships, is that the smaller ones do fill up faster, but I have little confidence in that conclusion.

I realize that a host of other factors, itinerary, season, etc. play a part, but allowing for those, it seems to me that differences in supply and demand for each of the two types of ship would probably result in different occupancy levels and that recent changes in the economy might well change the demand while the supply is less flexible.

If anyone more knowledgeable than I am can shed any light on the subject, i'd be grateful.

I think you are not getting much response because there are too many variables to be able to establish any pattern. Itinerary, time of year, length, price and now throw in the economy. Smaller ship cruises such as Seabourn, Windstar, Oceana, Regent cater to much smaller clientele base unlike the mass market lines. They may be a bit more insulated from the pricing and economy factors. All in all not sure. Maybe some industry expert can respond.

Very generally-speaking, smaller ships sell out faster for a couple of reasons. One is that they usually do more interesting itineraries, often unique ones that are done only once or twice a year and thus in high demand. Another reason is that there are still many people who prefer smaller ships and the more intimate ambiance onboard. Yes, there really is a difference. Another thing to consider is that smaller ships are usually more expensive because they are less-efficient and cost more to operate per passenger than large ships but IMHO, the more intimate atmosphere and personalized service is worth the higher prices.

My personal opinion and observation is that you won't see prices dropping for the smaller ships as the passengers who sail on them are usually older, without young families, many are retired and don't depend on a job for income. Granted, many of us have lost net worth with the current economy but most have a pretty stable income. These ships almost always sell out at least a year in advance and have a wait list so if someone cancels, there's always someone willing to take their place.

I think the 2 biggest factors for ship sales is itinerary and price. If the itinerary is special and is only being done once or twice it will fill up quickly. Also if the price is great then people will book it whether they have been to the ports or not. They will just go again for the ship experience.

Most people book a cruise for one of the following reasons: a special occasion, the itinerary, the price, easy embarkation and debarkation.

Ship size is a personal preference with many things to consider. How old is the ship? (the newer ones are larger) What time of the year are you sailing? If the weather is rough you'll feel it more on a smaller ship. It can feel more comfy bumping into the same people more frequently, lines and seating are unpredictable depending on the ships layout.

I wondered why you asked this question?

Using the same stream of water, an 8-ounce glass fills up faster than a 32-ounce glass.

Pam's answer is very good. I do believe that smaller ships tend to fill faster. Many cruisers like the more intimate feel, and grab up an attractive itinerary pretty quickly.

behindthescenes: I asked the question because I like ships in the 800 to 1200 passenger range and I sometimes become a litle frustrated because most of the bargains seem to be on the bigger ships. (I guess it's not surprising since almost all of the cruise lines seem to be building bigger and bigger ships, perhaps because a couple of years ago they could fill anything.) But I don't always trust my own impressions until or unless they are confirmed by others. If they are, then I can try to reconcile myself to booking earlier, paying more, cruising less often or some combination of the above if I want to cruise on ships of the size I like.

Archived