will it be hard to left my scooter on to the tender

tampaboy26

Tenders are not the ship's life boats.

Yes, they most certainly are the lifeboats, at least on all the ships I've been on, which are many after 58 cruises. In some ports, they require the cruise lines to use local transportation, so they don't lower the lifeboats to use as tenders, but when they do lower the ship's tenders, they are also the lifeboats.

Tenders are not the ship's life boats.

They certainly can be, and are, in ports that do not have their own tenders.

Also, the question of whether or not a scooter is allowed depend on varying things. My father travels with us with a scooter and has been allowed to tender with it at times. He has also been refused at times, mainly if the seas are rough, or the port you are tendering into refuses to allow them. In Bar Harbor ME for example, there is a steep ramp going up from the docks and not only are scooters not allowed, but wheelchairs aren't either. That is a decision by the Bar Harbor port authority, not the cruise ships.

If you want to be 100% sure that you can take your scooter on the tender, take one of the light weight travel scooters that either fold up easily, or come apart quickly. That way, you can carry it aboard the tender and be assured to be able to take it on.

CG

OP, you should really check out the disabillity board. many folks there use wheelchairs, power and otherwise, and can give you great info.

i do have to say that grand cayman was VERY hard to navigate for my blind husband, the sidewalks were a MESS and the transtitions at crossings were uneven and some very high.

have fun on your trip!

Uusually, it is a rather steep set of stairs from the side of the ship down to the tender platform for boarding. Sailors are there to help but it would be extremely difficult - dangerous - for them to lug a very heavy scooter. I seriously doubt Captain/Chief Officer would permit an attempt at it and you certainly would not want someone injured.

I definitely would think of another way to spend the day rather than count on them getting a scooter down tender stairs and into a tender particularly as seas there can often be choppy.

I agree with sail7seas. What I witnessed in Grand Cayman are the choppy seas, and at the pier there are only steep concrete steps. Impossible for a wheelchair or a scooter - they must be walked up. They are also a bit dodgy for those who may be a bit unsteady on their feet.

One of the most important things I heard as I was in line for the tender was nothing to do with the passenger in the scooter. The staff did not want to lift a man (a very large man at that) in a scooter on the tender. They didn't want to hurt their backs and get injured. The staff's safety is extremely important. Why on earth should they get a back injury? The man in question was angry and rude. He just couldn't understand that not only are many ports not wheelchair accessible (particularly Grand Cayman) but the staff should not be expected to move a large piece of equipment (and passenger) that may cause themselves and injury. I am sure the captain doesn't want to lose staff due to injury.

I will be in Grand Cayman again in a couple of weeks. If there are any changes there I am sure I will take note.

In 06 we went to G.C. and had my MIL who was in a "chair".. While she did not have or need a motorized scooter she did have and need a wheel chair. We used a "transport" chair. It is not a full sized wheel chair and will fold flat. Weighs in at about 20 lbs and we had no issues with pushing "mom" around.. They are pretty inexpensive at any medical supply store..

Just a thought...

I am a part time scooter user, like the OP, I can walk and can climb stairs but I use the scooter for long days in port. I have been on three Carnival cruises and have never had any problems getting my scooter on a tender. It may help that I have a small scooter (pride Go-Go) and the worlds greatest pit crew. I ride down to the door near the exit off of the ship then Mom, Dad, and my cousin and I break the scooter down into four pieces. Everyone grabs one, carries it to the steps, I get on and we load the scooter. It doesn't take anymore time or effort then loading a baby stoller. We traveled to Grand Caymen two summers ago, while the accesibility standards were not up to the U.S. I found very little that I could not get into with a little effort. Our tour operator in GC (tour to Hell, the Turtle farm and Stingrays) did say that when he saw me ride up the the bus he was prepared to turn us away until he saw how the scooter broke down and could be stored under the seats on the bus. My best advice is to be polite but presistant. OP you are the best judge of your abilities and needs, can you help load the scooter? If so and the crew is not involved in the loading, I really don't see how they could refuse to allow you to put your own scooter on the tender, If they see that it breaks down to small managable parts, they may even be willing to help you. Good luck, and have a great time on your cruise.

Lucky

Archived