? for plus size cruisers

Flaming0

Tallcruiser, I know exactly what you mean. The length on this one will be above the knee on me, but at least it will cover my undies. I was looking at several dresses on HSN and the lengths were 34"-35" - that's mid-hip on me! I keep my measuring tape by the computer when I'm shopping online because I hate having to send things back.

In the Portland area, there are some good buys occasionally at Value Village. Once we were in Portland for the weekend, we hit the one in the Tigard area and we bought my DH a great letterman's type jacket that was unused- you know the kind with the white leather sleeves. We put some rock-n-roll chenille appliques on it and it's great for him to wear to vintage car shows. It goes great with his 55 Chevy.

Dear FlamingO...

I can truly relate as I have every size in the store hanging in my closet...up and down constantly...I completely agree with you that it's not worth it to go buy something just for one formal nite on a cruise...not with this economy and certainly when you're between jobs.

With the more relaxed dress codes on ships (they're still there but not enforced), I think your best bet would be to find basic black pieces that are already in your wardrobe and embellish, accessorize and dress them up for the formal nite...

Examples: a black knit dress (sleeveless, 3/4 sleeve, etc.) - add a bit of sparkle with a great necklace, metallic belt or scarf, and great jewelry...some little strappy sandals and you're all set...

A pashmina in a bright color (any tropical color would be perfect! - maybe "flamingo pink":)) will dress up any basic black thing in your closet...You can drape it over your shoulder for instant "attitude".

A pair of black pants and a black tank top...accessorize like the black knit dress above...

I've even gone so far as to "embellish" a tank top around the neckline with beads, sequins, etc. from the craft store...Those are really expensive when you buy them in the boutiques and you can find great beads at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

If all else fails, I'd ask a friend or relative to raid their closet! I have loaned formal dresses to co-workers for cruises before...the only time I regretted it was when my dress was returned without dry cleaning it! ;(

If I lived near you I would be glad to help you out but I hope these ideas might provide some inspiration!

Best wishes also on your job search! Hang in there...it will work out for you!

I'm in the same boat as most of you (same boat, different ship :p). I'm almost 6' tall with most of my height in my legs and wear 20 or 22 depending on the style, material, cut, etc. Capri pants are bermuda shorts to me - "crop" pants that are supposed to hit just above the ankle bone are my capri pants.

I found two formals (cocktail dresses) for under $25 each - one on the clearance rack at Fashion Bug Plus (leftover from the Christmas/New Year's parties) and one at TJ Maxx that was only $15. Here's a pic of the 15 TJ Maxx special. No that's not me (I wish!).

purpledress-1.jpg

I wouldn't hesitate to go to either store again. Yes, the dresses are a little shorter on me than the designer intended, but they're long enough to look good, at least I think!

In addition to the dress I bought at Lane Bryant, I just won the bid for another LBD on ebay - now I have options. ;) I also picked up the perfect pair of dressy cruise shoes at Payless and thats no easy feat when you wear 11w

061740_1_300x300.jpg

I love that they're not too high since I'll be doing a lot of walking. I'm wearing them now with my sweat pants at home to break them in.

I also got really lucky at Kohl's - I found a couple of sleeveless tops on the 90% off rack and then bought a pair of capris and shorts off the clearance racks at other Macy's and Catherines. I won't have to wear a potato sack after all.

In addition to the dress I bought at Lane Bryant, I just won the bid for another LBD on ebay - now I have options. ;) I also picked up the perfect pair of dressy cruise shoes at Payless and thats no easy feat when you wear 11w

061740_1_300x300.jpg

I love that they're not too high since I'll be doing a lot of walking. I'm wearing them now with my sweat pants at home to break them in.

I also got really lucky at Kohl's - I found a couple of sleeveless tops on the 90% off rack and then bought a pair of capris and shorts off the clearance racks at other Macy's and Catherines. I won't have to wear a potato sack after all.

You are all set! Now you can relax and enjoy looking forward to your cruise! Happy sails!

Do you have a Catherines? If not, they have an online site you can buy from. They have wonderful sales. Just get a pair of black pants and a couple sparkly tops and you will be right in style for formal night. :D

I second that suggestion...I am a very large-sized woman, and that is how I dressed for formal nights...I didn't feel out of place or inappropriately dressed at all...if you go with some sparkly costume jewelry, all the better and more dressy you will look and feel :)

Here's another website you can check out for inexpensive stuff. Their formals can be on the pricy side, but you can get other stuff for less than $10 on the clearance rack. I have ordered a couple things from them. One didn't fit so I sent it back - no problems with the return. The other is a top I'm wearing tonight for a specialty dinner. A friend of mine has a couple tops from them and likes the quality.

http://www.zaftique.com/?page=shop/index

I was a plus on my last cruise but am now at least a size 26w with a big tummy and arms and can't for the life of me figure out what to wear. Being 6' tall is also making it a challenge. Usually shopping isn't a problem, but I got laid off a coulpe of months ago so throwing down $100+ for a dress is out of the question right now.:( I have a pair of nice capris that still fit and bought a long pale yellow knit dress for casual dress, but I'm stuggling with what to wear on the formal nights - thank goodness I still have swimsuits that fit. Once Christmas passes I may have to get out the sewing machine. I'm in my mid 40's and am not ready for mother-of-the-bride styles yet. Still want something hip. I welcome any suggestions and would like to hear how other plus size gals dress on cruises.

Hey Girl-

I know how you feel...

Womanwithin.com, onestopplus.com, lanebryantcatalog.com, Ross, Lane Bryant, Avenue, Catherines... Have a Fantastic time!

Good luck,

secretv2:D

Everything is coming together. I got two LBDs from Lane Bryant (one via Ebay) and just yesterday found a bunch of stuff at Walmart - shorts, tanks & cardigans. I love it when they stock basics instead of trendy things. The tricky part now will be to match the fewest amount of shoes to the most outfits - all part of the game.

Everything is coming together. I got two LBDs from Lane Bryant (one via Ebay) and just yesterday found a bunch of stuff at Walmart - shorts, tanks & cardigans. I love it when they stock basics instead of trendy things. The tricky part now will be to match the fewest amount of shoes to the most outfits - all part of the game.

Awesome!!! :-) Get a pair of tan sandles that will go with everything and a Clear dress shoe for the evening!!!

Love, Wally World too!!! :D

wow this was an eye opener for me! I am a petite plus size woman and have wished for a lot more height! I have seen tall plus size clothing, but not dresses. I just have the oposite problem and need the shorter length...man do I hate hemming!:D

Archived