Dolphin Swim /Dunns Falls Question

iluvazsun

When hubby and I go to Ocho Rios we both want to do the Dunns River Falls and I want to swim with the dolphins, where hubby just want's to "watch me"!! My questions is....can I book the dolphin swim/Dunns River Tour for me and the Dolphine cove/Dunns river for hubby? (where he would just get admission to Dolphin cove). Will we still be together or are these seperate tours sent on different buses?

I'm trying to talk him into doing the swim though.

Has anyone done these? Any info would be great. I have read a few threads regarding the Dolphine Swim but nothing recent.

Thanks!!

We did Dunns River and we would never do it again. It is very dangerous and to easy to get hurt and that is not good to do when your out of the country. I couldn't believe we paid to be tortured by those people trying to get money out of you and trying to keep your footing on the slimy rocks. Go buy some watershoe's, good luck. Sorry for being so negative but thats the way we felt.

Hi

My husband and I did both of these earlier this year and we loved the dolphin swim. Try to get your hubby to do it with you. The guides are wonderful and it is really a once in a lifetime experience. We went to the falls but didn't clime them. We walked around them but if you do it you need water shoes. Buy your own because if they get you to buy them from them, it's way to much money. I'm not sure if you can book hubby for just admition to Dolphin Cove but you can look on Carnival's web site for info. Hope this helps.

Leasa

I just came back from there and did Dunn's River Falls. It was an interesting experience but not something I'd do again. I'm amazed more people don't get hurt. You really have to be in decent shape to do it and I was surprised at how many obviously out of shape people were climbing. They were having a hard time. My friend had to stop about halfway through. They also pressure you to buy things and tip them and I found that annoying and a little scary. You can opt to just walk along the falls and not climb, but then I don't really see the point of going there. I went to Dolphin Cove but the weather was bad and so we weren't able to do the things we wanted. We did not sign up to swim with the dolphins so I can't comment on that, but I don't see why your husband couldn't just go and watch you. I don't know if he'd have to pay the same price as you though. It's probably best to call Carnival and ask.

I thought dunns river falls was great. I am a little over 50 and it was not that difficult. The only problem with the excursion was afterwards, when you were forced to walk thru the little outside shops. The vendors were the most aggressive people I have seen anywhere! We literally got into a shouting match with some of them and for a moment or two I was petrified. These vendors have a hard time understanding "no, thank you".

I thought dunns river falls was great. I am a little over 50 and it was not that difficult. The only problem with the excursion was afterwards, when you were forced to walk thru the little outside shops. The vendors were the most aggressive people I have seen anywhere! We literally got into a shouting match with some of them and for a moment or two I was petrified. These vendors have a hard time understanding "no, thank you".

I'm in my early 40's and in good shape so I didn't have trouble climbing, but there were times when I thought I was going to slip because the current was quite strong. But I'm petite so maybe that has something to do with it. I felt like I might get washed away, lol. My friend is 50 and not in the greatest shape so we had to stop halfway, but I give her credit for giving it a try. Anyway, I TOTALLY agree about the aggressive vendors. One of them actually grabbed me as I was walking by. She was saying something about how there's nothing to be afraid of and people in Jamaica are friendly so I said if that's true then why is she grabbing me?! So she let go and was trying to get me to buy whatever she was selling. I gave her $3 for a magnet and got the heck out of there. :eek:

we went to Dunns Falls with another couple (all in our 50s and definitely not in the BEST of shape) and we climbed the falls and had a blast doing it - yes, it can be slippery, but the guide was there if we needed help, and they made a human "chain" where the men helped the women if needed. It was a great time, but very crowded the day we went. Both sides of the falls there were "chains" of people climbing. Hope you enjoy it!!

You'll obviously find differing opinions on this, but we aren't fans of Dunn's River Falls. We're in shape so that wasn't an issue, it just wasn't that impressive or that much fun. It wasn't anything we can't drive a half hour from home and see something similar or even more impressive. And the vendors at the end are the worst ever. Seriously.

My then 16yo daughter and I did Dunns River Falls in July of 2007, and we LOVED it! Having said that, i don't think i would do it again, since, imo, it is one of those things that once you do it, you won't be interested in it again. You HAD to wear water shoes, and not only was it slimy and slippery in places, the surface, as you are climbing and walking, is uneven. I am overweight, and there was a couple of times i had to get on my knees to get up, but other than that, i had NO problems. I'll tell you one thing...when we finished it, i felt like Rocky Balboa at the top of those steps, lol! One truly had the feeling of really accomplishing something!:cool:

Just an opinion. When I walked the falls I was not on a chain of a guided group. I felt so sorry for the chain of people because they couldn't use their hands to negotiate the current, slippery rocks and unpredictable "steps". About the dolphin swim these experiences might be helpful. Our older children went on the dolphin swim and had a good time. My husband and I hoped to take pictures, we were told that we had to stay on the patio which was so far away we couldn't really get any pictures. Of course you can buy their pictures after the experience is complete at the gift shop. Also, be careful which shore excursion you book. In one you actually get in and swim, play with the dolphins. Another looks very similar but you only get to interact with the dolphins, meaning pet, watch and I think feed. The price will tell you which one is the swim. It's about twice the price.

Just an opinion. When I walked the falls I was not on a chain of a guided group. I felt so sorry for the chain of people because they couldn't use their hands to negotiate the current, slippery rocks and unpredictable "steps". About the dolphin swim these experiences might be helpful. Our older children went on the dolphin swim and had a good time. My husband and I hoped to take pictures, we were told that we had to stay on the patio which was so far away we couldn't really get any pictures. Of course you can buy their pictures after the experience is complete at the gift shop. Also, be careful which shore excursion you book. In one you actually get in and swim, play with the dolphins. Another looks very similar but you only get to interact with the dolphins, meaning pet, watch and I think feed. The price will tell you which one is the swim. It's about twice the price.

Thanks! So did you book through Carnival for this excursion? How did that work out with your children doing the dolphin swim and you and your spouse just getting admittance? That was good to know about the pics, because my husband's been saying he wants to get some pics of me with the dolphins.....now I know he won't be close enough! He's warmed up to the idea though, and I think he'll do the swim with me! Just wondering how you booked it?

• 2 months later...

Hiya I was wondering anyone could tell me, My husband wants to take his mom to swim with the dolphins, but there is NO way she is in any condition to be climbing Dunns river to get there. Is there another way up? Thanks I appreciate any help.

Sue

Archived