Help us decide..

We are wanting to take our DD on a cruise for her graduation in 2010. She really wants to focus on Italy. It would be me, DH, DD, her DBF, and my parents. We have cruised DCL, RCI, and CCL. A 7 day would be fine but we are open to 10. We had looked at DCL's cruises but the 10 day Med. was not available for the times we could go. She has graduation on June 4 and has to be back for college mid August 2010.

Any suggestions would be so welcome since cruising overseas is something totally new to me.

We are wanting to take our DD on a cruise for her graduation in 2010. She really wants to focus on Italy. It would be me, DH, DD, her DBF, and my parents. We have cruised DCL, RCI, and CCL. A 7 day would be fine but we are open to 10. We had looked at DCL's cruises but the 10 day Med. was not available for the times we could go. She has graduation on June 4 and has to be back for college mid August 2010.

Any suggestions would be so welcome since cruising overseas is something totally new to me.

I offer this unorthodox response for a cruising website: if she just is interested in Italy, do a landtrip. It is a long way from the port to Florence, Rome and Tuscany, Italian food is fantastic, the train and bus service in Italy is excellent, to see the major cities (including Venice, where at least you are right there at the port), you need more than six hours of your time. Anyway, just my opinion. Cruising makes sense for many itineraries (for example, Greek islands, other islands, several countries) but for Italy only, I say stay in the cities and towns. Again, just my opinion.

I offer this unorthodox response for a cruising website: if she just is interested in Italy, do a landtrip. It is a long way from the port to Florence, Rome and Tuscany, Italian food is fantastic, the train and bus service in Italy is excellent, to see the major cities (including Venice, where at least you are right there at the port), you need more than six hours of your time. Anyway, just my opinion. Cruising makes sense for many itineraries (for example, Greek islands, other islands, several countries) but for Italy only, I say stay in the cities and towns. Again, just my opinion.

I agree with all the above.

Absolutely!:)

I love to cruise, but having been on both land and ship (on the same 14 day trip) plus other times on land and others on ship, land is the way to go in your circumstances.

One if by land and two if by sea....?

Callajl - is this to be something of a surprise or can your daughter make a list of places to be seen?

Cruise pros/cons -

Pro/cruise - easier travel transfers (hopefully), food and lodging included, itineraries done (question of 'do it yourselves' for excursions...)...parents (yours - how comfortable are they about travelling to where they don't speak the language/health problems...?) People too worn out to see this or that can stay aboard, while the more interested venture out...(staying in some hotel room may not be the best?)...others can add more...

Cons/cruise: how much is included for how many hours at stops - note, ports are not always right close to the desired city...travel time must be calculated..oh, my, in Italy, strikes also...if by land, look into Tripadvisor (helps to plan also if one does it by sea!)

We went on Carnival Freedom in July with our teenagers. However it doesn't appear to be sailing in Europe this summer. Definitely leave from Rome thatn you can spend pre cruise days there and get rid of any jet lag before the cruise. We opted for a 12 day cruise because we thought it was actually cheaper thatn sopending additional days in hotels with meals etc. The itineraries from Rome are usually Venice, Naple (Amalfi Coast) Sicily, Canne, France, Barcelona Florence and Dubrovnik. That itinerary would meet your needs and it is spectacular. Can't wait to go back.

FWIW, I completely agree with the land tour suggestion. If you only have 1 or 2 weeks, do NOT try to see too much. If it were me, I'd park myself in Tuscany the entire time (my wife, though, would insist on the Lakes).

I love cruising, but if you want to SEE Italy, that is not the way to do it.

The land trip was a good idea. The first choice is what you want to see. A little of several countries or a lot of Italy.

At any rate be sure you have your passports and visa if needed. Check for what shots if any you need.

This board will be able to give you some excellent specific guidance once you have specific questions.

But for a general question like this, just beginning to research Mediterranean cruises, absolutely the best advice I can give you is to find a good local Travel Agent who is a CLIA Accredited Cruise Counselor (look for the agent's diploma on the wall, not just an agency sticker). Ask your friends and co-workers for a recommendation. The service is entirely free to you. ACC's are trained to find the very best cruise for you, after learning your personal situation and preferences, and work hard to get you the very best rate.

They can suggest many cruises on many different lines, and explain to you the possibilities and ins and outs. There are sooooo many choices for the Med that a trained ACC is the person who can point you the right direction.

We had two wonderful Med cruises, both with stops in Italy but also some variety. Check out our review and pics at http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks to everyone who has responded! This isn't a surprise for my DD- it is what she has asked for as her graduation present. The reason I chose a cruise is to basically have a home base and transportation from place to place. We took her to Europe for her 13th but really just hit England, Scotland, and France. It was a wonderful trip but so hectic. A cruise is just so easy, no planning or having to catch early trains! We will definitely have to do more research, we don't want to be 2 hours away from each city when we come to port. What a huge waste of time in such a wonderful country. Maybe we can focus on Greece and do Italy when there won't be so many of us to have to plan for. Again, thanks for all the input, it is appreciated!

Myself and my DW have been to Italy 4 times 3 land and 1 by sea on windstar. We are going again in 09 and bringing our kids for the first time. I like you thought the idea of a floating hotel would be so much better then the hassle of moving from Hotel to hotel especially for us with 3 kids. I would look for a cruise that has overnights at ports to get the true flavor of that stop. If you have the time spend pre cruise and post cruise a couple of days in a city to round out your trip. Look at Oceana and Azamara as they have the overnights and some good foucus on Italy. We are doing Azamara Best of Italy with 3 overnights and all but one port in Italy.

Best of luck to you

Thanks to everyone who has responded! This isn't a surprise for my DD- it is what she has asked for as her graduation present. The reason I chose a cruise is to basically have a home base and transportation from place to place. We took her to Europe for her 13th but really just hit England, Scotland, and France. It was a wonderful trip but so hectic. A cruise is just so easy, no planning or having to catch early trains! We will definitely have to do more research, we don't want to be 2 hours away from each city when we come to port. What a huge waste of time in such a wonderful country. Maybe we can focus on Greece and do Italy when there won't be so many of us to have to plan for. Again, thanks for all the input, it is appreciated!

Why not figure out one area of Italy you really want to see and rent a villa for a couple of weeks? (or an in-town apartment). Or, fly into Rome, spend some time there and then do the above for the second week. There is more than enough to see and do in any of several areas of Italy for a couple of wonderful weeks.

Italy does not have to be all churches and art. For example, even if you don't like wine, Chianti is absolutely beautiful as is western Umbria. If you hiking, the area north of Lucca is marvelous. Mountains? Several great choices? Foodie? Bologna. the list goes on and one.

I started my international travels with my brother. He is a "check off" traveler who likes to zoom through as many places as possible. My beloved wife taught me the joys of slow travel. Since then, I set-up in one place for at least a week and make a few day trips from there. So, you do NOT have to pack and unpack, schlep luggage, take the 5:30 am train, etc.

Italy .. particularly Rome and north.. is very well serviced by trains to all major and many minor towns. There is excellent bus service filling in the gaps. So, even if you do not want to drive, it is still easy enough to get to where you want to go.

Both a cruise or land tour have its pros and cons. I think the first thing you need to do is decide which has the most pros.

Is seeing a lot of different ports important? Unpack and pack once? Then you may want to consider a cruise.

If the history and cultural of one country is important then you may want to consider a land tour.

Either way - she will have a great experience.

FWIW, I think you can find pros and cons for each but have you considered instead of staying in hotels which can be costly, there are websites where you can rent homes for a week or more.Two that I have used are vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner) and homeaway.com. both are rentals from the owners of the home and are anything from an apartment to large villas and anything in between. You can rent a car and do day trips, you could stay in one area one week and change to anther for the next.You could even charter a boat or take local ferries if you want to get out on the water. In this way you have at least some of the comforts while really soaking up local color and meeting the people. You can shop in the shops that the locals do, go to local restaurants, buy fresh coffe and pastries to have for breakfast. You can tell we travel by our stomachs but you get the point. You are much more involved in the local culture than if you stay at a hotel or just do shore excursions. So, I guess one thing you have to ask yourselves is, are you interested in seeing museums and historic things or are you interested in experiencing the culture.

Both make good trips, but which is the best trip for you? I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. You still have lots of time to make decisions. Good luck.

Archived