In room announcements, is it true?

fateknows

I've heard that Carnival pipes frequent announcements into your room and that there is no way to turn them off.

Is this true? It almost seems like an urban legend.

We had to open our door to be able to hear any of the announcements.. We could hear the ding/dong of pending announcements..!!:)

Wife tho't there should have been a volume control/switch in the cabin to turn a speaker on, but we never found one..:eek:;)

I've heard that Carnival pipes frequent announcements into your room and that there is no way to turn them off.

That is not true. They do have the capacity to broadcast announcements into cabins, but they only do this for the lifeboat drill, and for emergencies. Regular announcements are not broadcast into the cabins.

We had to open our door to be able to hear any of the announcements.. We could hear the ding/dong of pending announcements..!!:)

Wife tho't there should have been a volume control/switch in the cabin to turn a speaker on, but we never found one..:eek:;)

Thank-you so much.

Was the ding/dong from the halls or the in-room speaker? More importantly, could you clearly hear the ding/dong as your head was resting on a nice soft pillow?

Thank-you so much.

Was the ding/dong from the halls or the in-room speaker? More importantly, could you clearly hear the ding/dong as your head was resting on a nice soft pillow?

It was from the hallway speaker. It was barely audible from inside our cabin when the door was closed.

We just got off the Victory last week and the only announcements we heard in the room were for the fire and lifeboat drills.

Thank-you. Carnival has so many affordable options, yet I was concerned about the noise level during my sleep hours.

I think this leads to another question...

If I'm sitting poolside enjoying a book, can I expect to have a loud announcement for a place to spend cash? If so, how often will these messages occur?

Thank-you. Carnival has so many affordable options, yet I was concerned about the noise level during my sleep hours.

I think this leads to another question...

If I'm sitting poolside enjoying a book, can I expect to have a loud announcement for a place to spend cash? If so, how often will these messages occur?

You are on a cruise, not a private island. Personally I like the announcements during the day time hours. So what if there is an announcement at the pool. What do you do when they have the King or Queen of the Ship tournament or other activities pool side? Get some ear plugs or sun or your balcony, or better yet, enjoy the cruise atmosphere:D

You are on a cruise, not a private island. Personally I like the announcements during the day time hours. So what if there is an announcement at the pool. What do you do when they have the King or Queen of the Ship tournament or other activities pool side? Get some ear plugs or sun or your balcony, or better yet, enjoy the cruise atmosphere:D

As long as I know what to expect everything is wonderful. Instead of bringing a book, I'll bring a notepad and pencil to jot down events. This is nice to know. Thank-you. If I want quiet, I'll go to my room, not my veranda or the pool.

As long as I know what to expect everything is wonderful. Instead of bringing a book, I'll bring a notepad and pencil to jot down events. This is nice to know. Thank-you. If I want quiet, I'll go to my room, not my veranda or the pool.

Does anyone know how often loud speaker announcements are made? I'm not looking for exact times, I'm just seeking a general idea of the timing.

It was a very annoying problem for a long time. However, on my recent cruise on the Triumph (12/15) I was pleasantly surprised that all announcements are piped only into the public areas and were very low key. NO announcements were made over the cabins system except that information of an emergency nature.....such as the announcement of the fire drill. There were also fewer announcements - which was great.

Does noise make you uneasy? I can't sleep with a lot of noise. In contradiction with some of the previous posters, I could hear the hallway announcements a little in my room although I always slept fine except for the night the emergency announcement came through, it seemed very loud. You can always bring ear plugs! You shouldn't have any trouble sleeping! I have a monster case of insomnia and I slept like a baby on the cruise! :D:D And the Lido deck area is so busy and with so much background noise that announcements don't bother you. It seems like they fade into the background. For every noisy place on the ship you can find just as many quiet places as well... there are many decks that with plenty of lounge chairs and peace and quiet!

Goodness if noise bothers you that much you will be spending alot of time in your cabin.:rolleyes: Yes there will be announcements during the day to remind people of some of the upcoming events but it is not usually overwhelming. For the most part you almost have to strain to hear what they are saying because of all the other background noise going on. A cruise ship is usually not that quiet. After a while you tend to tune out alot of it.:)

On recent Glory and Inspiration trips--safety related announcements were audible in the cabin. All others were broadcast in the hallway and you could only hear clearly if you opened or were close to the door. Not obtrusive/excessive at any time.

It was a very annoying problem for a long time.

My first cruise was on the Festivale in 1988. It was a much older ship, and every announcement was loudly broadcast into each cabin. Every morning, we were awoken to a woman singing "Good Morning, Good Morning.", followed by the announcement that breakfast was being served in the dining room.

You won't need to do that, either. You'll have the Capers in your cabin for the day you board. Then every night, they'll be there for the next day. There's a handy tear-off portion that lists most of the activities and dining options. All you need to do is tear that off and take it with you, and you can tune out the announcements.

I don't particularly care for all the "spend money" announcements, as I like to sit and read on sea days, but they aren't so obtrusive that it's impossible to concentrate (and I'm easily distracted by noise).

Instead of bringing a book, I'll bring a notepad and pencil to jot down events.

You will get a schedule of events in your cabin every day and it will have a condensed versionthat will tear off so that you can track the schedule and keep it with you without the bulk of the larger version.

Announcements are made are not made on any schedule as far as i can figure but when it is getting close to an important event like going to tenders and such. I usually lose track of the announcements as unless you are listening for something specific it usually drowns out, or is easily ignored.

If your on your balcony, the announcements don't get piped out there I don't think. I've spent many hours enjoying a good read on the balcony, just the sound of the waves, it's heaven.

The announcements are really only loud in the halls, and if your by the pool, the poolside music and all the people talking and such are there, not really distracting from reading, just sorta white noise, and I don't think I've ever noticed an announcement out on the Lido deck at all.

And truly they don't make announcements early AM except on port days you'll hear the ding dong when they dock or drop anchor for a tender port.

It's not all "spend money" announcements, most are for information "we have arrived at port, we are leaving port, etc....

And looking at your past posts, it looks like your a Celebrity/HAL person, I've been on Celebrity several times and I did not find their pool area any less noisy than Carnival, the band, and the white noise of people chatting. Although I'm pretty sure there was no hairy chest contest, but then again Carnival IS the fun ship, and we certainly do have fun. My Avatar photo is from The Bar at the Edge of the Earth on Celebrity Constellation, we had a bathrobe party and "scandelized" the old folks on the ship, but boy did we have fun.

Seeing the old guy with the walker in the hall at midnight muttering about us in our robes? Priceless

Have a nice cruise and stop worrying.

Carole

If your on your balcony, the announcements don't get piped out there I don't think. I've spent many hours enjoying a good read on the balcony, just the sound of the waves, it's heaven.

And looking at your past posts, it looks like your a Celebrity/HAL person, I've been on Celebrity several times and I did not find their pool area any less noisy than Carnival, the band, and the white noise of people chatting.

Carole

It looks like the frequent announcements were part of an old policy. A policy that was disliked enough to still have people talking about it.

Carole- I appreciate the comparison. My first cruise was HAL. I'm looking at Celebrity for my second cruise. Carnival keeps coming up in my searches as it has tons of options. Hence, the reason for my original post.

Nyctor118- I can't image being woken up by having someone sing good-morning to you. I'd have had to go to he doctor for Valium. :)

We we're on the Triumph Last Feb, and the director blasted the "DING" Then told us it was time to debark and was thanking us for cruising Carnival etc...It was before 8 a.m. and we were jolted out of bed. It was so LOUD! This was the first time we've ever experienced that out of 6 previous cruises on Carnival. We we're VERY annoyed

Perhaps it's different from ship to ship but we just sailed the Liberty, Dec 20-27, 2008 on our first cruise and we experienced both types of announcements. The most annoying being those piped into our room very loudly from our Cruise Director announcing another art auction, bingo, or show. We did hear some announcements from the hallway, but most were piped into our cabin including pages. The needless noise into the rooms and the quality of the Dining Room DINNER food were my wife's 2 complaints. We also wondered if this was the norm.

Archived