NCL - Tux too much?

katondeck

We are cruising on NCL in January (Sun - West Carr) with my in-laws. Both my DH and FIL own tuxes- they also both own dark suits. I am afraid that they will be in a minority if they go with the tuxes. I do love the pictures from formal nights but I do not want them to feel out of place.

I have always gone all out on formal night but I think we may feel out of place on NCL.

I did see plenty of tuxes on formal night. NCL is kind of unusual on formal night, with the freestyle in place. We did not care to take all the formal stuff along (Hawaii) but we did dress in what I would consider to be dressy casual. Instead of a sea of evening gown and dark suits (or tuxes) you will see quite a mix. So, I guess the answer is, go with what you will be comfortable with.

I happen to think men look awesome in tuxedos and they would look better than most of the men onboard. If they don't mind packing and carrying it, go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
We are cruising on NCL in January (Sun - West Carr) with my in-laws. Both my DH and FIL own tuxes- they also both own dark suits. I am afraid that they will be in a minority if they go with the tuxes. I do love the pictures from formal nights but I do not want them to feel out of place.

I have always gone all out on formal night but I think we may feel out of place on NCL.

I have sailed on NCL , and even on a 3 day booze cruise most guys wore tuxedos on the formal night. Nothing looks better than a tux, and I know the men in our party who just brought suits felt a little under-dressed.

They may possibly be in the minority by wearing tuxes instead of suits, but if you are going "all out" by wearing a fancy dress or gown, the men would look more out of place dressing in suits to match other passengers than by dressing formally to match *your* style. (Plus you'll have those nice photographs.:) )

We sailed on the Norwegian Dawn last spring and will again this winter. My husband loves to wear his tux on the optional formal nights. NCL still designates it as "formal night" even if it's *optional*, so no one can be *faulted* for dressing to the nines that night. Many still do dress. Think of it this way: those of us who continue to dress formally despite the trends are helping to keep the formal option from disappearing altogether!

Happy sailing.

Carol Louise

Archived