Feedback/Thoughts on Ultrazoom Point and Shoot Digital Camera

cruzgryphon

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a new camera for a cruise to Alaska next year and for a few reasons, I'm not ready for a DSLR. Given the quality of feedback on this board, I would love to hear people's thoughts or experiences.

Based on my research, I've narrowed it down to the following ultrazoom cameras - specifically the Canon SX10-IS, Panasonic DMC FX28 and Olympus SP-570/565. My key criteria would be image quality at max/near max zoom, durability, ease of use and manual functions that will let me grow with the camera. I'm not concerned if the camera doesn't have RAW.

Look forward to reading people's thoughts/ feedback.

Season's greetings and happy new year.

CG

Best advice I can give is to spend some time in a store with each of your choices. Look at things like how does it feel in my hands,are the menus and controls user friendly and easy to navigate and how are the LCD and viewfinder diplays ? Pick a good camera store with easy an return policy so you try each one out at home. I own a Canon S3IS and happy with it.

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting a new camera for a cruise to Alaska next year and for a few reasons, I'm not ready for a DSLR. Given the quality of feedback on this board, I would love to hear people's thoughts or experiences.

Based on my research, I've narrowed it down to the following ultrazoom cameras - specifically the Canon SX10-IS, Panasonic DMC FX28 and Olympus SP-570/565. My key criteria would be image quality at max/near max zoom, durability, ease of use and manual functions that will let me grow with the camera. I'm not concerned if the camera doesn't have RAW.

CG

All three are capable superzooms. In this class, some softness in the corners and chromatic aberration is inescapable and while all three suffer form them to some extent, they are all at the upper range of image quality in the class. All three also perform well at the long end of the zoom.

This is another case where the three you have chosen are so close in spec and performance that you will have to take ergonomics and other things like memory card type into consideration, The Olympus is the only one of the three that takes an odd format with the xD memory card. This limits you 2GB max. That isn't a real limiter in photos, but all of these are capable of good quality video and that eats memory. The Panasonic is the only one that doesn't accept an external flash if you find you need more power than the built-in unit provides. None of them has a threaded lens, making an adapter necessary to use filters.

My best advice is to go somewhere and handle all of them. Play with the controls, look through the EVF and see how clear and sharp it is, change some settings and see which controls feel right to you.

Whichever you choose, you will end up with a fine camera...that's what makes the choice so difficult!

Dave

I just received the Canon SX10 IS for Christmas, I am by no means an expert on cameras. I like the feel of the camera, it is heavier then my other digitals the zoom is fantastic and of the pictures that I have taken with it come out really great especially with the zoom fully extended. I live on the St. Lawrence River and I look across at Canada which is about a mile and a half across the river and can take pictures of homes and see all the details like windows and doors even the cars in the driveway very clearly.

Hi all,

CG

I just purchased the Olympus SP-565 UZ for my Celebrity Solstice cruise. My reasons for purchasing this camera was that I still wanted a compact lightweight (the 565 is only 13.5 ounces) camera with the wide angle and big zoom lens. The camera is also very easy to use. It has a huge choice of automatic scene programs and it can be used for manual programming. It does have RAW but I have not used this feature yet. I really loved the ease of the shadow effect when there is a bright background and the subject is in the shade. You can see the pictures it took on my signature for the Solstice.

Dave -- The 565 model does use the xD card but it also comes with a template that allows you to use the micro SD card. I got a 4G micro SD card and it allowed me to take over 1500 pictures on this card! BTW, it was nice meeting you on the Solstice and I realize that I still have along way to go to picture taking. I loved your photos!

Keep us informed on your camera decision.

Cheers!

Michael

I made the switch from SLR 35mm to the Oly SPZ 560UZ this fall before my Sept cruise, wanted an kind of 'everything' camera. It didn't & hasn't disappointed!! But, I think it's all subjective. Whatever you get, read, read, read the manual & practice like crazy. It's somewhat rejuvenating to actually benefit from technology!!:p

Dave -- The 565 model does use the xD card but it also comes with a template that allows you to use the micro SD card. I got a 4G micro SD card and it allowed me to take over 1500 pictures on this card!

That's a great piece of info! Good to know!

BTW, it was nice meeting you on the Solstice and I realize that I still have along way to go to picture taking. I loved your photos!

Cheers!

Michael

Thank you sir. I'm glad you enjoyed them. I saw the link in your photos in your signature and went there to look. Good job! They should provide some great examples of what the 565 UZ is capable of for cruzgryphon.

I enjoyed meeting you as well and enjoyed our early AM photo tour of the Solstice!

Happy shooting!

Dave

Dave -- Now that I finally got the pictures online, I am going to do a Blurb book! (Thanks for the referral). We decided this would be different than just a photo album.

Jamie -- Way to go on your new camera! I see on your signature that you will have a great place to take pictures in August!

Michael

Thanks for the feedback and insights everyone..to anyone reading this please add to the discussion. I dropped the Panansonic from my list primarily because it doesn't support a flash accessory...you're stuck with what you've got. I braved the crowds at a couple of camera stores...one thing that really surprised me is how (relatively speaking) light the cameras are, compared to what I was expecting. I don't have a timeframe yet for purchasing the camera so..Tthanks again for the feedback and look forward to more.

CG

Archived