Concerned about bringing laptop on Grandeur dec 26

kahliasmom

I am leaving tommorrow on the Grandeur. I would really like to bring my laptop to email friends and it is the only way to power up my MP3 but I am afraid it will get stolen. I wouldn't think it would fit into the in room safe. Aren't others worried that their laptop could be stolen by room attendents. I would be devastated if my laptop were stolen but I would really like to bring it. I was thinking that I could hide it under layers of clothes in my luggage.

I am leaving tommorrow on the Grandeur. I would really like to bring my laptop to email friends and it is the only way to power up my MP3 but I am afraid it will get stolen. I wouldn't think it would fit into the in room safe. Aren't others worried that their laptop could be stolen by room attendents. I would be devastated if my laptop were stolen but I would really like to bring it. I was thinking that I could hide it under layers of clothes in my luggage.

We always cruise with our laptop as I NEED to be in touch with the world. :rolleyes:

I leave it on the counter by the mirror and have never had any problem. We also leave our cell phones out.:):)

However, I do lock my jewelry and extra cash in the safe. :D

I took my laptop last year on the Grandeur and didn't have a problem. I left it in the case and slipped it behind one of the chairs. I didn't really hide it, the cabin steward probably knew what it was, but I didn't think they would take it. I would go ahead and take it and relax. Have a great vacation!

Just on another note lock up the cell phone! I lost my cell phone on the Voyager last year and when i called to cancel service to the phone to my surprise many phone calls were made to some country in the mid-east!

I am so sorry to hear that. :(

We've always left our cell phones charging on the dresser in the cabin with no problems at all. :cool:

We have never lost anything in our cabin, however it does worry me as the stewards leave your cabin door open while cleaning. Perhaps you can lock your laptop in one of your suitcases when you leave?

The resort that my hubby works at just installed room safes big enough to hold a laptop...hope that trends gets to the cruise lines soon :D

###

I've taken my laptop on 4 different ships and have never had a problem. But I do agree, lock any other valuables and cellphones up. As an AT&T mobility employee, I cannot tell you how many people have had their phones stolen only to realize around 100 calls were made before they had the service cut:eek:! those calls at 5 dollars a minute on the ship can get a bit expensive really quick!!!!:rolleyes::)

Just on another note lock up the cell phone! I lost my cell phone on the Voyager last year and when i called to cancel service to the phone to my surprise many phone calls were made to some country in the mid-east!

Chris, what did RCCL say when you reported that to them? I'd hope they frown on actiivity like that from their crew.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I don't mean to sound like I think RCCL employees are thieves, but I just want to use common sense. A few years back I lost my sunglasses only to see my room attendent who I had a good rapport with wearing the same kind of sunglasses. Hmmm. Sorry to hear about one posters cell phone. I will lock that up in the safe.

It's probably too late for you to make use of this information, but...

You could always consider getting an AC-USB power adapter. Plug the adapter into an outlet; plug your USB charging cable into the adapter; êt voilá!

Since I got my iPhone, I've quit carrying my laptop for short trips. Apple's little charger cube is far less cumbersome than my laptop. :)

I always take my laptop so I can continue to conduct business while on the cruise. I leave it plugged in on the desk and I've never had any problems. I would not, however, pack in luggage! (Too many things go missing from luggage now.) I always keep it my carry-on.

By the way, I have a Dell 600m which I bought for travel a few yearrs back because it is light and fairly small. But before our last trip to Hawaii we bought the Asus eeePC. It has a 9" screen, weighs just about nothing and is perfect for traveling. It has built-in wifi and webcam and because the hard drive is SSD it boots to the windows desktop in about 15 seconds. If you need a laptop for travel this is the way to go.

Best to put your laptop out of sight of passersby. The steward isn't going to steal your laptop. They have so little space to store anything & if you report a laptop stolen, they'd look in the stewards room. The stewards sometime leave your cabin door open & leave to do something in another room. Someone walking by could see your laptop & steal it.

You might consider attaching your laptop to the desk or chair with a lock that is specially made for this purpose. I believe that most people are honest, but "stuff" does happen, and this could give you some peace of mind while not in your cabin. In addition to the cost of the computer, make sure all your data is backed up. I would be more devastated to lose years of genealogy research than to lose the hardware.

Regarding I-Pods, they should always be locked up, as they are "hot property"!

You're probably on your trip now, but, DH always brings his laptop and more often than not we leave it on the vanity. He does have a tiny laptop and it does fit in the safe, but we usually don't lock it up unless we are going into port all day long. Usually when we are on the ship we are in and out of the cabin quite often.

Archived