Meet and Greet

44summertime

Oh Yeah, I did forget to mention that I asked the Personal Services Director James Deering if we could set up a luncheon on our last "Sea Day". We took over half of one of the dining rooms and had a great time. Most of the staff attended that one as well just to come and say goodbye.

The moral of the story is always ask for something if you want it. If you don't ask, you probably won't get it. We had a great time and left with memories that will last a lifetime thanks to the staff of the Emerald.

Brian.

I have experienced great Meet & Greet Parties on several HAL ships; most recently the Noordam on a back to back 10 day Caribbean; 11/27/08 to 12/17/08.

Both cruises included a "Meet & Greet" wth 45-55 attendees; wine & champagne plus hors d'oeuvre; The Captain, Hotel Manager, Culinary Manager & Cruise Director attended the 2nd Party. A cruise critic member was able to get various departments on the ship to furnish 10 door prizes that included a free lunch at the Pinnacle Grill, gold bracklets, hats, shirts, etc.

Drew Murdock, the Cruise Director, stated that HAL Management reads the cruise critic postings and HAL understands the importance of what is discussed.

No doubt that is the reason why HAL's M&G are so outstanding

I have experienced great Meet & Greet Parties on several HAL ships; most recently the Noordam on a back to back 10 day Caribbean; 11/27/08 to 12/17/08.

Both cruises included a "Meet & Greet" wth 45-55 attendees; wine & champagne plus hors d'oeuvre; The Captain, Hotel Manager, Culinary Manager & Cruise Director attended the 2nd Party. A cruise critic member was able to get various departments on the ship to furnish 10 door prizes that included a free lunch at the Pinnacle Grill, gold bracklets, hats, shirts, etc.

Drew Murdock, the Cruise Director, stated that HAL Management reads the cruise critic postings and HAL understands the importance of what is discussed.

No doubt that is the reason why HAL's M&G are so outstanding

I think I commented earlier on this thread but will bring this up again. This treatment on HAL is not the usual. What you will see is cookies and coffee/water. We didn't have any crew showing up to the last one I attended. I think you were very lucky from the sounds of things. I wouldn't want people to assume this is the norm on HAL.

I think I commented earlier on this thread but will bring this up again. This treatment on HAL is not the usual. What you will see is cookies and coffee/water. We didn't have any crew showing up to the last one I attended. I think you were very lucky from the sounds of things. I wouldn't want people to assume this is the norm on HAL.

Unbelievable ... my husband said this is exactly what a reply would be. I hate it when he is always right ! LOL. Yes, we considered ourselves VERY LUCKY, as did all the CC attendees. It was wonderful, but we have had others that were very nice also. I think it has a lot to do with the person/persons organizing things. I won't bring it up again either.

• Administrators
The Passenger Services Director attended our informal sail away meet & greet on the Crown a year ago and stated that Princess would love to hold an "official" CC Meet & Mingle but that RCCL & Celebrity have an "arrangement" with Cruise Critic that prohibits other lines from doing so.

Not any longer!! Shhh! We'll be announcing Meet & Mingles on other lines in January!

Unbelievable ... my husband said this is exactly what a reply would be. I hate it when he is always right ! LOL. Yes, we considered ourselves VERY LUCKY, as did all the CC attendees. It was wonderful, but we have had others that were very nice also. I think it has a lot to do with the person/persons organizing things. I won't bring it up again either.

When you say the person organizing it I assume you mean on HALs end? I think Drew Murdock is an excellent CD so maybe he had something to do with it. I hope I end up on a HAL cruise someday with one of these awesome meet and greets although I feel the people I've met have been far more impressive then some trinkets that HAL has decided to part with. Good on you guys for getting the royal treatment from HAL. It surprises me.

This spring I organized a M&G on HAL Rotterdam. While we weren't served champagne, we were served hors d'oevres, petit fours, cookies, cakes, chocolates, orange juice, coffee & tea. Alcohol was at our own expense. The Captain , Hotel Manager, Cruise Director, Maitre d', and 3 or 4 other officers attended and gave little speeches. Plus they answered any & all questions we chose to ask them. Also they offered us a private tour of some of the Rotterdam's facilities. They actually did this twice as our cruise had two legs. We were 30-40 at each of these events and could not have been happier.

Although I'm sailing on the Diamond Princess on our next cruise because of the itinerary, Princess will have far to go to match up with HAL re service & atmosphere.

On HAL, our waiter asked us our preferences on the first night (e.g. coffee during the meal & cappucino after, always a full copy of the menu for each meal, even for those when we were absent, pepper mill for almost everything.......)We were spoiled silly and LOVED it. Of course we realize that perhaps we lucked out but since this has happened each time we've cruised HAL, we've begun to believe that is the norm.

Should we have as high expectations for Princess? Maybe not. But then agai, we are willing to be pleasantly surprised.

As for the Princess M&G , it may depend who and how the powers that be are contacted. Here's hoping they turn out great.

Should we have as high expectations for Princess? Maybe not. But then agai, we are willing to be pleasantly surprised.

The HAL M&g is impressive, even the Queen Mary doesn'd do that for M&Gs and I have never been to a Princess one with free food provided. I must admit that I really have no desire for more food anyway! What is nice is that ships officers/entertainment staff attend and this has happened probably 70% of the time.

Brian - for your invites did you send them to specific names or just the titles? If names how/where did you happen to find them?

Thanks.

Sarah

Hi Sarah...

I did a little research ahead of time and found a Patter on one of the boards. The initial Patter introduces you to the crew and lets you know who is there. I went right down the list and included an invitation to everyone.

I had them addresses and sealed in an envelope prior to getting on the ship. As soon as I walked on, I handed them to one of the pursors at the desk and asked if they would make sure they would get delivered right away. Turns out that the Captain's changed so I just scribbled the new Captains name on the envelope. Tacky, but it still worked.

You could make a generic invitation, put them in envelopes, and as soon as you get to your cabin, look at the Patter and address each envelope then take it to the pursor's desk. Make sure you make an invitation for each officer.

I think everyone I sent an invitation to showed up at the Skywalkers Lounge. I even told them all that there was so much brass back here at the back of the ship, the bow must certainly be out of the water...Great ice Breaker...We all laughed at that.

For jocelysue: As far as Princess trying to match goodies with HAL, you probably won't see that at all. Like I said before, this is only going to be a 1 hour Meet & Greet and I would much rather have the staff show up to the meeting rather than be eating on snacks.

Do you have a contact with Princess for setting up your Meet & Greet? Email them and ask if you can get some door prizes or something.

By request, Princess did give us a formal sit down lunch for our group on the last sea day where most of the staff showed up again. Fantastic time we had...A vacation to remember...Does that count?

Well, I guess my question has been answered, I started a thread weeks ago regarding a Cruise Connection party for Princess passengers, never got any responses. On Celebrity they give you a place to meet, non-alcoholic drinks, and treats to eat. I think the minimum count on Celebrity is 25 people. I thought maybe Princess had a similar program. Oh well, I guess I'll have to figure out something else for our group of 16.

Well, I guess my question has been answered, I started a thread weeks ago regarding a Cruise Connection party for Princess passengers, never got any responses. On Celebrity they give you a place to meet, non-alcoholic drinks, and treats to eat. I think the minimum count on Celebrity is 25 people. I thought maybe Princess had a similar program. Oh well, I guess I'll have to figure out something else for our group of 16.

Have you been to the roll call, once the thought of a meet and greet is put there normally people start to react and someone will start arranging? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=808982

Oh well, I guess I'll have to figure out something else for our group of 16.

Gogy, don't be discouraged with a group of 16 if that's all you have. Princess will still help you and set up a place for your Meet & Greet. But don't count on free drinks and snacks. It ain't happenin'...

Billet has the answer, if you haven't already done so, go to the board for your cruise and get the message out to the others...Just as in the movies..."If you build it, they will come".

Which ship and when are you sailing? Each ship has a representative to assist you with matters like this (setting up a M&G). I have a few email addresses that may help you.

Princess loves the Cruise Critic groups, but you have to let them know you are there...

Good Luck, Brian.

Thanks Brian for your quick response, we're sailing to Alaska, July 2009, on the Golden Princess, out of Seattle. It's a family (cousins) get-together.

Any email addresses you good suggest would be great.

Here you go Gogy...

I was looking for your Roll Call board and don't see one yet. May I suggest you start one for your cruise and you'll be amazed at how many more people show up...

Make contact with the assigned person below for the Golden and they will do all they can to help you...

jjames@princesscruises.com

Thanks again Brian, can I ask you 1 more question. I see that you have been on the Grand Princess, I believe the Golden is the same class. Are you familiar with any of the obstructed rooms. We all booked Category E, Emerald Deck, Oceanview, partially obstructed rooms, we're all in the same area (rooms 407 to 415). I was in charge of the selection, hopefully none of my relatives will be angry with me. When I looked at the deck plans, I don't see any lifeboats outside these rooms, but it is still listed as partially obstructed.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Archived