Shipping Luggage - The Luggage Club

lskoob

I'm looking for anyone who may have previously used the services of "The Luggage Club". They use FedEx, with delivery to and pick-up from your cruise ship.

My husband had open heart surgery recently, but the doctors say he should be good to go for our February 8 Princess Cruise.:) He's only 55, and in very good health, except for the after-effects of the surgery.

But I'm concerned about him lifting luggage. Since I have low back issues (herniated disc), I don't want to risk getting hurt, either. We will certainly pack light, but we'll still need one medium or large rolling upright bag for the two of us. (We'll pack a rolling carry-on for our one night pre-cruise in Ft. Lauderdale.) Princess Luggage Valet is an option, but way overpriced, IMO. Plus, we would be restricted to clothing and shoes only, no toiletries, electronics, etc.

I found The Luggage Valet online, recommended by Frommer's. Their rates are much more reasonable than Princess, or any of the other luggage services I've found. But I can't find any reviews.

Reviews/opinions/alternatives would be welcome and appreciated!

Lori

I'm looking for anyone who may have previously used the services of "The Luggage Club". They use FedEx, with delivery to and pick-up from your cruise ship.

My husband had open heart surgery recently, but the doctors say he should be good to go for our February 8 Princess Cruise.:) He's only 55, and in very good health, except for the after-effects of the surgery.

But I'm concerned about him lifting luggage. Since I have low back issues (herniated disc), I don't want to risk getting hurt, either. We will certainly pack light, but we'll still need one medium or large rolling upright bag for the two of us. (We'll pack a rolling carry-on for our one night pre-cruise in Ft. Lauderdale.) Princess Luggage Valet is an option, but way overpriced, IMO. Plus, we would be restricted to clothing and shoes only, no toiletries, electronics, etc.

I found The Luggage Valet online, recommended by Frommer's. Their rates are much more reasonable than Princess, or any of the other luggage services I've found. But I can't find any reviews.

Reviews/opinions/alternatives would be welcome and appreciated!

Lori

I to am looking into shipping luggage. I looked into "The Luggage Club,877-231-5131. Also "Luggage Forward,866-416-7447. I do know that the further you ship before your cruise the better the price. If you are looking for next day then you will pay more.

I will have to look into FedEx and see what their prices are.. and let me know if anyone else finds more info as we are also interested.

Don't know anything about The Luggage Club. Are you SURE they can deliver to the ship???

Quite a few services cannot, due to the weekend departures (Fed Ex does not work very much on the weekends and the luggage MUST be there by no later than Thursday afternoon to get on the "pool" truck from the local cartage company.

PLEASE check this out thoroughly. I am in the international shipping business, know most of the ins and out and we have still had a hard time sending stuff to ships.

If you want a cheaper way, box your luggage (U Haul has an underbed storage box that fits most large suitcases) and send it to your hotel via Priority or even Express Mail. You will have to call the hotel and make sure they will accept the package. And get the proper address-a PO box will do you no good.

Then have the bellhops move the luggage to your room and into your transport to the ship. Porters take it out of the taxi to send onboard the ship.

Will save quite a bit of money. The only hassle-you have to box the luggage to send via the Post Office. Hire a teenager to do the lifting and packing for you. Good luck!!!

A possible alternative.

Assuming you are leaving from a domestic port (that is, no customs to deal with), you might consider a private car service with "meet and greet" service." The driver will meet you at luggage claim and schlep your luggage for you. You can do the same thing at the other end by using a combination of porter and driver.

A couple of years ago I did a solo round-the-world trip with one arm in a sling and using a cane to help me walk. No way I could carry much in the way of luggage. Th above scheme worked well for me (no cruises involved, but lots of airport transfers). It is not my usual way of travel (I tend to take public transportation) but given the situation at the time ....

Archived