Past guest party - go or not?

tiffytutu99

it is something you should try to go to. I think it is very nice. yes, you can get any drink you want if you ask. on our cruise we gave the server a few bucks and asked him to get us a drink and he came back with 4 of them, he must have liked the cash. a few minutes he came back and said do you need a few more of them? you know what our answer was, they lasted for another hour. THe hordeorves were goodk but it was just nice to see so many people that were past guests. enjoy it.

We go. Not because of the "free drinks" of which I usually have one, but because we meet some really interesting people. We've met people who have been on 25+ cruises as well as those that are just fun to talk to. We also just enjoy the video of ships.

If one has never been then its worth going to the first time to see what its all about. We now go if it fits our schedule but don't worry about it if we forget or feel like doing something else. I like to go if its scheduled right before dinner as I have a couple drinks and then take one to take to dinner with me:)

We missed our 1st past guest party on our last cruise because I was bound and determined to win a Ship on a Stick and was at the umpteenth Trivia session!! I couldn't pull myself away! :o Bummer too because when the party let out everyone was laughing and chatting, looked like we missed a fun party! Several in our group told me later they had a blast, drinks were flowin' and they played some sort of game that was a kick!

Long story short, I missed a great party and I'm sorry I did! Go! Check it out~

PS...I did eventually win the coveted ship on a stick! We won the "Amazing Race" game...what a blast - I reccommend this game to all who can run like a chicken with your head cut off all over the ship looking crazy for twenty minutes!:p

I was wondering if any of you have been to the past guest party and if you thought it was worth going or not... This will be our 2nd Carnival cruise.

Thanks!

I go, usually. It's very nice - with hors d'oeuvres, cocktails and music.

You'll never know unless you go....so give it a try...you've earned it!!:p

it is something you should try to go to. I think it is very nice. yes, you can get any drink you want if you ask. on our cruise we gave the server a few bucks and asked him to get us a drink and he came back with 4 of them, he must have liked the cash. a few minutes he came back and said do you need a few more of them? you know what our answer was, they lasted for another hour. THe hordeorves were goodk but it was just nice to see so many people that were past guests. enjoy it.

This works incredibly well! I agree with slipping a few bucks..this also works well at the captains party. We had drinks coming in faster than we could finish them. And we also ordered drinks that werent offered on the tray.

I will going on my 5th cruise on Saturday. But, I haven't been able to go to a past guest party yet because my 2nd, 3rd, & 4th cruises were 3-4 night cruises. So, I am really looking forward to getting to go to the past guest party.

We will be doing the Eastern It. on the Glory ... sure hope the past guest party doesn't interfere with port days. (like a previous poster said)

DJ

Oh go!!

It really is a nice hour.

On our last one, it was held in the main lounge. They had a few songs and dances.... and then the staff was introduced, and a raffle for a bottle of champagne (which my three year old won!.... and I had to accept!)

Then they showed the terrific movie and clips of all the Carnival ships, and the tradition of clapping and yelling when the ships you have been on come on the screen!

Plus, free drinks for an hour!!

We go each cruise, and really is a nice way to spend an afternoon.

Catrin

I was on the Inspiration in August when your son won the bottle of champagne! I remember it like it just happened yesterday. :)

I was wondering if any of you have been to the past guest party and if you thought it was worth going or not... This will be our 2nd Carnival cruise.

Thanks!

Free booze before dinner that you're already getting dressed up for? :D

Okay, I haven't gone every time we've cruised, but it's fun, and free drinks are good drinks... unless you get served drain-o... then I'd decline.

I saw the post where the 3 year old won the champagne...does this mean that kids are invited and attend? This will be my first cruise with just my son and I. I've never attended in the past, maybe we'll check it out this time. The more opportunities to meet new people the better I guess right?

I saw the post where the 3 year old won the champagne...does this mean that kids are invited and attend? This will be my first cruise with just my son and I. I've never attended in the past, maybe we'll check it out this time. The more opportunities to meet new people the better I guess right?

If the child is a past guest, the child will be invited. Several children attend the PGP.

As for the past guest bringing their newbie cabin mate, this has been hashed and rehashed many times here. It always brings out the worst in some people who feel passionately that no one but actual past guests should attend. However, I feel that if a first timer is rooming with a past guest, the first timer should feel welcome to go to the party with the past guest. This is especially true when the newbie is a spouse. But some people here get very upset at this line of thinking, so prepare for them to show up and throw their little hissy fits about it. :rolleyes:

Thank you for saying this. I was on a Carnival cruise recently for the first time and my friend who I was rooming with was a past guest and this was her first party. She wanted me to go with her and I was afraid they'd kick me out at the door since I didn't have an invitation, but that didn't happen. I explained to the guy at the door that I was her roommate and he said it was fine. Frankly, I think they encourage newbies to show up at the event, as long as the person you are rooming with is a past guest. They don't want newbies showing up on their own, understandably. I don't drink anyway so it's not like I was loading up on free drinks, but it was fun and I'm glad I went because I learned about the ship and the history of Carnival.

I haven't been yet as we're only going on our 2nd cruise in a couple of weeks but I am excited to go....even if it's not the greatest, it'll just be an hr of our time and if I can squeeze in a few free drinks I'll be happy. LOL

Although, I do hope they don't schedule it at a time when we're at a port...I think they should schedule it when we're at sea...we have 3 days like that! Keeping fingers crossed....

Maybe some are better than our last one. I could hardly get a server to even come over, took 20 minutes to even get one to budge. I guess they were trying to meter out drinks. Not a great experience. Only past guest Iv been to for Carnival. They did have better drinks on the tray than RCL did, Ill give them that, they just wouldnt serve you, even from the tray. (I mean there were like 4 of them just standing there with trays but they were not coming around.)

Seems to me like a good party to skip.

DW and I go every time. Before the party we scope out the place to see where the servers get the drinks from and sit near there. Then we order call drinks and I hand him or her 5 bucks. After that our drinks are never empty long!

I haven't been yet as we're only going on our 2nd cruise in a couple of weeks but I am excited to go....even if it's not the greatest, it'll just be an hr of our time and if I can squeeze in a few free drinks I'll be happy. LOL

Although, I do hope they don't schedule it at a time when we're at a port...I think they should schedule it when we're at sea...we have 3 days like that! Keeping fingers crossed....

As far as I know, they've never scheduled the PGP during a port night. It's usually held on one of the days where you're at sea.

Frankly, I think they encourage newbies to show up at the event, as long as the person you are rooming with is a past guest.

It's a no-lose situation for them. For the cost of a buck's worth of alcohol, they can impress a new cruiser to come back again by showing them they'll be treated special next time. They'd be foolish to kick out the roommate of a past guest.

As far as I know, they've never scheduled the PGP during a port night. It's usually held on one of the days where you're at sea.

Miracle (when she was in Tampa), Valor Western, and Inspiration all did the PGP Grand Cayman day. There were two parties to accommodate early and late diners.

Valor Eastern had the PGP St Martin night. Again, there were two parties.

DW and I go to the past guest party each cruise. Like the party on CCL much better than RCI. We drink red wine and always available on CCL as not many drink this at the party. We usually have 2 or 3 each, then take 1 for dinner, as they are smaller glasses. On RCI all we got was champagne and then it was in the Promenade area, with no where to sit.

Archived