What to do in San Juan??

DaniellefromOttawa

Hi!

We will be cruising in March with our two boys ages 8 and 10...although I've cuised many times without kids, this is the first family cruise for us and I don't know San Juan very well, on top of that we are in port from 5 PM to 12 PM...do you have some family friendly things for us to do for an evening in San Juan??

Thanks

Danielle

That's awfully late....There are lots of shops, and the fort....don't know how late they're open, tho!

Maybe dinner ashore, after doing a bit of sightseeing, then back to the ship! (After all, you've paid for that ship--may as well get use out of it!)

Thanks for your responses....was the carriage ride expensive?

CB - Agreed it will be fun on the ship, but I'm used to 3 or 4 port days each cruise and am a little worried that this is the first on with the kids and we only have 2 1/2 port days, that's a lot of ship time to fill!

Thanks again, keep the ideas comming!!

Danielle

The forts are usually open until 5:00 pm, but several days a week they're open until 7:00 pm (at least last March they were).

They, along with most National Parks and monuments have a Junior Ranger program. They give the kids an activity book to work on as they go around the park, or forts in this case, and when they are finished, they give them a certificate and Junior Ranger badge. Because there were so many young ones there the day we did it, they had a special ceremony for them in the middle of the plaza where they were given their certificates.

Just ask at the ranger desk when you enter.

If there are 2 adults (to go with the 2 children) I recommend the BioBay Fajardo Kayaking. Its REALLY COOL!!! If you are only one adult then when booking ask if the tour guide can take the younger of the 2 in his Kayak (each sits 2) Its really a memorable experience.

There is also Night time horseback riding offered at El Yunque. Everyone gets a head lamp and it is SUPER FUN!!!

If you are looking for less adventure... Take a trolly ride around Old San Juan. Eat dinner at La Bombonera And walk back down to the ship.

Thank you to everyone!! I was getting worried..and it turns out we have lots of options!

Rebecca: I sent the Kayaking company an email to find out if the tour will line up with our docking times. it does look cool! Do you happen to know how long it would take to get from the cruise ship to where the evening kayak tour starts?

Can't hardly wait...only 72 days more....

Danielle

Archived