December 28 Cruise

carlylecat

Ready to leave, BOTH SD's are in port together and ready to leave today...should be fun having them chase each other out of port

Stayed overnight at the Shearaton, renovation is complete and it was more than ok...service was great, even let us stay in the room until 2 pm embark time...

Picture of SD II from our room, you can see the stack from SD I on the other side of the pier

567000075_seadreamdec08003.jpg.d49c1a3ef136e0211b6c665014b05a9f.jpg

Well, I envy your New Year's cruise but we will be embarking on SDI on Jan 9 for 9 days! Can hardly wait! Just got to get all my Christmas stuff put away and then pack! Have a fabulous trip! Looking forward to hearing about It!

We stayed in the Sheraton for one night earlier this month. The rooms were newly remodeled to the standards you would expect in a modern Sheraton, Hilton, or Marriott property. There was a comfortable mattress and granite counters in the bathroom. Carpet and upholstery was clean with a Caribbean feel. I would not stay there for more than one or two nights, but it is extremely convenient when you are taking a cruise out of San Juan.

Most of the complaints I've read about the Sheraton on these boards occur when there are multiple large ships embarking and debarking passengers at the same time. The people coming off the ships want to check into their rooms at 10:00 AM, and the people leaving on the ships want late check out at 1:00PM. When the hotel is very busy they charge extra for late checkout. The lobby is very small so it will hold at most 10 people. Tempers flare.

There's no way the hotel can make everyone happy in that situation. If you see that happening, leave your luggage with the bellman and go for a walk through the streets of OSJ or have lunch and a drink while the mess sorts itself out several hours later.

I am thinking of spending the night in San Juan on our return on Feb 1. Is this the one in Old San Juan? The hotel was ok?

We thought the hotel was dreadful. Perhaps we were just unlucky with our room/experience. We won't stay there again. :(

I'm assuming when you say you are thinking of staying anywhere on your return, you mean after you disembark. Personally, I think it's best to go straight to the airport after disembarkation. Adjusting to the world post-SeaDream is difficult. :) Very difficult. :eek: I've found it best to go straight to the airport. Any hotel stay, no matter where, just doesn't measure up to what you've experienced on the yacht. A major letdown, to say the least. :eek::)

So, back to the Sheraton. The location can't be beat. If you do end up staying there, the outdoor area on the second floor is quite nice. Order a bit to eat & drink while you watch San Juan from your cozy perch. You'll miss the wonderful SeaDream servers, though. :) It's just not the same.

After reading all these comments I am glad we are staying at El Convento. Our travel agent just told us we have been upgraded to harbor view room, possibly a suite with virtuoso amenities so we should have a great weekend before we embark. Now, as for post-cruise, we would have to stay all day in the airport which does not sound too appealing(our flight is at 5pm). Still trying to think of what to do...

I'm assuming when you say you are thinking of staying anywhere on your return, you mean after you disembark. Personally, I think it's best to go straight to the airport after disembarkation. Adjusting to the world post-SeaDream is difficult. :) Very difficult. :eek: I've found it best to go straight to the airport. Any hotel stay, no matter where, just doesn't measure up to what you've experienced on the yacht. A major letdown, to say the least. :eek::)

I agree 100 percent. We have stayed on island twice after SD cruises. The last time we ended up moving our flight up a day since we were ready to be home... no matter how good the hotel was it just wasn't SD.

After reading all these comments I am glad we are staying at El Convento. Our travel agent just told us we have been upgraded to harbor view room, possibly a suite with virtuoso amenities so we should have a great weekend before we embark. Now, as for post-cruise, we would have to stay all day in the airport which does not sound too appealing(our flight is at 5pm). Still trying to think of what to do...

We had a 5 p.m. flight last year after our SD cruise to and from SJU. We were the last ones off the yacht and we headed to the airport after disembarking.

We went to the Delta Crown Room, where we had WiFi access, some beverages and snacks, to pass the time. DJ's DH used the time to catch up email and I worked on my trip report.

This year we were able to move up our flight from 5:20 p.m to 2:30 p.m. so we will do the same thing. Even if you aren't flying Delta you can get a day pass to their club.

I have been trying to decide if I should use the reward ticket we have for a return at 5PM on Continental or stay one night and be able to get a $298 RT fare with an upgrade to first class using miles, this would give us about 4000 elite miles if we return on Mon. I have been looking for an inexpensive but nice hotel for the one night but from the comments I may go home that day. We are taking Cape Air from St Thomas at 2PM so we will hope to be able to store our bags with them and walk around St Thomas which we have done several times but it will be a way to kill time. Unfortunately Continental does not have a Presidents club in San Juan. I thought Amex had a club in San Juan but have not checked yet. How late can we stay on SD?

We had a 5 p.m. flight last year after our SD cruise to and from SJU. We were the last ones off the yacht and we headed to the airport after disembarking.

We went to the Delta Crown Room, where we had WiFi access, some beverages and snacks, to pass the time. DJ's DH used the time to catch up email and I worked on my trip report.

This year we were able to move up our flight from 5:20 p.m to 2:30 p.m. so we will do the same thing. Even if you aren't flying Delta you can get a day pass to their club.

Sadly, I believe that Delta has closed the San Juan Crown Room. There is an Admirals Club in San Juan, however.

Sadly, I believe that Delta has closed the San Juan Crown Room. There is an Admirals Club in San Juan, however.

That is sad:( I thought there was a Continental President's Club lounge at SJU but a quick check of CO's site doesn't show one. I guess the Admiral's Club is only one still open?

Archived