Mariner of the Seas Around the Horn of South America

glgolfer

14 January 2009

Rachel Hancock came onboard in Barbados and will be here until Rio.

Tuesday night we received pins commemorating the around the horn cruise. They show Port Canaveral, Rio, Valparaiso and LA. Diamond chips represent the port stops.

If only one leg, only one diamond

.The clasps on ours wouldn’t work, so we sent them back. Got the new ones today sometime.

The P/D/D+ thing was today in Studio B. Just drinks and snacks. Left early.

Another sea day with nothing much to report.

15 January 2009

Today is Judy’s birthday. Going to Chops for dinner tonight.

We had a slot tournament for just the Hornblowers. 37 showed up, entry fee of $10 and we .paid 3 places. Beryl won first, Don A. was 2nd and Kathy W. was 3rd.

I slept most of the afternoon, so nothing to report.

Chops was good. We both had the Portobello and asparagus appetizer. Judy had the avocado and tuna tarter and I had the cheese and onion soup.

Entrees: Judy had the veal chop and I had the small filet. Sides were asparagus, corn and snow peas and creamed spinach.

Dessert: Judy had an apple pudding pie with ice cream and I had the mud slide. Half of the mud slide is here in the cabin for future reference.

Quest tonight. Much tamer than usual. The Hornblowers won by a wide margin.

Salvador da Bahia tomorrow. We have nothing planned.

Thanks for the update Paul.

It will be interesting to see how many more come aboard in Rio........and who gets off.

There still appears to be many cabins open for the second leg.

I gather that except for one day........the ride has been pretty smooth.....is that right Paul??

Have you seen Bobbie and is she getting over her cold. I have not heard from her in 3 days.

Rick

Betty: Not bad for your "1st" post! Looks like you figured it out!! :D Now just keep posting.

Paul: Do you do a lot of walking around the ship during the day finding places that you wouldn't if it was crowded with more guests??

Do they have a Movie theater where you can see a few flicks??

And lastly, has everyone who WANTED a UPGRADED CABIN gotten one by now?? Sounds like it would be the thing to do since the ship is relatively empty.

Oh wait.....one more question.........how are the "seas" at Salvador and temps too??

Is anybody in the swimming pools?? Good time for a nice relaxing Massage and then a room service dinner!!

Thisw isw our 6th time on this class of ship, we pretty well know all the nooks and crannies.

They have a theater, but we don't go. other things we like to do better.

Seas have been mostly calm. We hardly eve3r feel the ship move, we're so used to it.

Temp in the mid 80s.

haven't been around the pool much, but I don't think chair hogs are a problem. You can get a deck chair anywhere, anytime.

16 January 2009

Docked in Salvador da Bahia at 0900. I stayed on the ship and Judy got off to go to the terminal and see what the shops had. She die not go into town or take a tour.

For listening to a short talk by a lady from Ben Bros. Jewelers and got a nice bracelet for free.

She also got free passes from H. Stern for Rio.

I talked to some folks that got off and they said the urine smell was overpowering as the men just relieved themselves against a wall or post.

That it was a dirty city.

Glad I didn’t go ashore.

Dinner was good. I had a watermelon “starter” and Vidalia onion soup. The chilled soup was red pepper which is not my favorite. Then a bowtie pasta dish which was good and vanilla ice cream.

We had some excitement at dinner as Vicki got food caught and couldn’t breathe. Luckily she was sitting by my cousin Jeannine who knew what to do as she’s a retired doctor. Jeannine knew where to hit her on the back and told her to cough and out it came. After it was over and we were sure she was OK, we started to joke about what would have happened if she had not survived. Weekend at Bernie’s was mentioned and I said we could use her to save deck chairs next to the pool as nobody would move the body. We all laughed so hard we cried.

Judy went to see the Diva’s cabin and I went back to ours.

Sea day tomorrow, then Rio the next 2 days.

We got the instructions for “continuing passengers” tonight. For those of us on a tour Monday, we’ll get our seapass cards when we get back. We’ll have our own area and will have our picture taken again. The onboard account will use the same credit card, so we don’t need to anything about that. For those not getting off until after 0930, they will go to the lounge in order of the deck they’re on to get theirs.

Overall very easy.

Lot of people with coughs and mild sore throats. Not really a cold but close.

Great update Paul!!

Bobbie and her parents went on the 4 hour "Highlights of Salvador" tour, and apparently her dad had maybe a mini stroke near the end of the tour. Bobbie said that it took 4 people to keep him upright. Apparently quite a scare for her. I hopefully will know more tomorrow. I do know that he is cancelling his ticket to Iguazu Falls, and will be just staying onboard. Both of Bobbies parents have spend a great deal of time in Rio......so they will just be staying onboard.

Hopefully they do not have to get off for the reboarding process. I know that the ship will take good care of them.

Royal Caribbean now show the ship being "sold out". I question whether there will be 1700 South Americans come aboard........but I'm sure Paul will tell us come Monday evening.

Bobbie is finally getting over her cold. She said that she stayed in her cabin for a couple of days............and that she has not felt that bad in years.

I will be able to talk to her on Monday.........so I can get a better grasp on how everyone is doing!!:)

Rick

I don't know the man who might have had a stroke, but I'll say a prayer for him tonight and hope he's okay. Keep us folks that are reading along informed. Thanks.

My hubby said that Rio wouldn't be a very clean place and I guess he was right. Such ashame that they couldn't make the best of ships coming in and make things cleaner. :rolleyes:

Hope everyone who is not feeling well on the ship gets better or gets some DRUGS to help get better. There's still a long way to go!!

16 January 2009

Docked in Salvador da Bahia at 0900.

I talked to some folks that got off and they said the urine smell was overpowering as the men just relieved themselves against a wall or post.

Glad I didn’t go ashore.

hi all

we visited salvador on rotterdam november 2007. it was one of our favourite ports but we did notice the smell of urine and actually saw a couple of guys relieving themselves against the wall of the warehouse that housed the 'terminal'. it's a bus stop all along the road behind where the ships dock and there are no facilities for those waiting so they just use the wall.

the old town was just beautiful and reminded us of lisbon where we had been a week prior.

we've both said we will go back and spend longer in brasil and salvador will definitely be getting a return visit.

Glad I didn’t go ashore.

Hmm. Sounds like my house with my 3 boy cats.:eek: Best not come visit me!

Morning all!! I just heard from Bobbie, and it turns out that they think that her Dad suffered from heat stroke. Apparently, yesterday was hot and humid in Salvador De Bahia, and her Dad does not drink enough water, and because of everything going on........was dehydrated.

He is doing much better today..........and is still planning on going the the Falls. He sends his thanks to everyone that was thinking of him.

Today is the last sea day of leg one of this wonderful journey. Tomorrow is Rio.........for an overnighter.

Rick

Morning all!! I just heard from Bobbie, and it turns out that they think that her Dad suffered from heat stroke. Apparently, yesterday was hot and humid in Salvador De Bahia, and her Dad does not drink enough water, and because of everything going on........was dehydrated.

He is doing much better today..........and is still planning on going the the Falls. He sends his thanks to everyone that was thinking of him.

Today is the last sea day of leg one of this wonderful journey. Tomorrow is Rio.........for an overnighter.

Rick

Hey Rick! :)

I know you and Bobbie are relieved to know that it was a heat stroke, which is more easily treated!

It must be difficult for you to be at home and Bobbie so far away with all the things that have been going on lately.

Hey Rick! :)

I know you and Bobbie are relieved to know that it was a heat stroke, which is more easily treated!

It must be difficult for you to be at home and Bobbie so far away with all the things that have been going on lately.

Hi Char.........thanks for the note!! The voyage between Rio and Valparaiso would have been the one that I would have chosen, if work did not get in the way. I think that would be a voyage not to be missed, so am relying on Bobbie and my camera to come away with some wonderful stories.

We are all relieved that Bobbie's dad was only a heat stroke!!

One more piece of bad information for us.........is that we are not going on the Summit to Europe this spring. We still have our Navigator cabin booked, but with this economy.......we may pass on Europe this summer. It will be our first in about 5 years.......but real estate is not doing well, and that is my travelling money!!

Rick

Hi Char.........thanks for the note!! The voyage between Rio and Valparaiso would have been the one that I would have chosen, if work did not get in the way. I think that would be a voyage not to be missed, so am relying on Bobbie and my camera to come away with some wonderful stories.

We are all relieved that Bobbie's dad was only a heat stroke!!

One more piece of bad information for us.........is that we are not going on the Summit to Europe this spring. We still have our Navigator cabin booked, but with this economy.......we may pass on Europe this summer. It will be our first in about 5 years.......but real estate is not doing well, and that is my travelling money!!

Rick

I saw that earlier when you posted on our roll call. :( Was looking forward to sailing with you guys. Ya gotta do whatcha gotta do! We only have so many cruising years left, so we are spending our kid's inheritance to enjoy them while we can. Age and health have a way of curtailing travel plans......

I saw that earlier when you posted on our roll call. :( Was looking forward to sailing with you guys. Ya gotta do whatcha gotta do! We only have so many cruising years left, so we are spending our kid's inheritance to enjoy them while we can. Age and health have a way of curtailing travel plans......

Char......send me a note to rubrrickaz at yahoo dot com

That way we can keep this thread to Mariner news!!

Rick

Archived