Mariner of the Seas Around the Horn of South America

glgolfer

I'm right there with you Nancy.........we should know shortly!!:D:rolleyes:

Rick

I wish I had a flair for languages, i.e. Wish I spoke Portugase or more Spanish than I already know. :):):) Already had 4 + years of

Spanish. But who cares if I can id the chickens are hungary?????:D

Maybe, when I get my health back I should take a Berlitz class

Paul,

Just wanted to drop in and tell you I am following you closely. I can't imagine the amazing time you and Judy must be having!!!

Continue your posts and I can't wait for view of your trip. Continued well wishes for the remainder of your trip.....have a grand time!!!

Will this be an immersion cruise????? :confused:

Inquiring and traveling minds wish to know. :)

The answer, as I posted on the other Mariner thread.........is NO. Bobbie reported that 1000 came aboard and 500 got off. So now they are cruising with just over 1900 passengers. Still should feel like a half empty ship!!

Rick

Noone left behind I know of. All the roll call Hornblowers made it.

Not an immersion cruise. Dining hours the same. !st announcement in English,

Most of the new PAX are Brazilians. The ship feels a little fuller today, but still far from full.

More later today.

I wish I had a flair for languages, i.e. Wish I spoke Portugase or more Spanish than I already know. :):):) Already had 4 + years of

Spanish. But who cares if I can id the chickens are hungary?????:D

Maybe, when I get my health back I should take a Berlitz class

What is funny to me those I know who speak Portugase can do well with Spanish, but the opposite doesn't seem as true. One guy I knew in College between the two languages tested out of something like 30 credit hours of college.

Paul,

I heard from the Casa Mario Leather Factory in Montevideo. via e-mail. He said they would all have on yellow shirts. I asked him to have a sign that said Welcome Paul and Judy, but not sure if he will. They will take you and anybody else to the leather factory and then even if you don't buy anything they will take you into town or any where else you want. I told him you guys would be arriving Thursday at 9:00 AM I'm sure there will be other leather factory companies there also. I found that this leather was better than Buenos Aires and less expensive.

I paid $60 for a black leather jacket in 1975 and the leather is still as good as the day I bought it. I have had three linings put in it since they wear out.

I bought a beautiful black suede leather jacket on my second visit and a cow hide rug on my third.

When I go into pre-cruise training and loose a little weight, I can get into the 34 year old leather jacket.

These people don't really know me, since I have only visited the place three times in the past 33 years, but are very nice to do business with.

Thanks for all your work posting tid bits about the trip. We have all enjoyed it.

Dont' forget to look for the building where they are cooking meat on open fires

Nice place to have lunch. It was walking distance from where we were docked.

Paul,

I heard from the Casa Mario Leather Factory in Montevideo. via e-mail. He said they would all have on yellow shirts. I asked him to have a sign that said Welcome Paul and Judy, but not sure if he will. They will take you and anybody else to the leather factory and then even if you don't buy anything they will take you into town or any where else you want. I told him you guys would be arriving Thursday at 9:00 AM I'm sure there will be other leather factory companies there also. I found that this leather was better than Buenos Aires and less expensive.

I paid $60 for a black leather jacket in 1975 and the leather is still as good as the day I bought it. I have had three linings put in it since they wear out.

I bought a beautiful black suede leather jacket on my second visit and a cow hide rug on my third.

When I go into pre-cruise training and loose a little weight, I can get into the 34 year old leather jacket.

These people don't really know me, since I have only visited the place three times in the past 33 years, but are very nice to do business with.

Thanks for all your work posting tid bits about the trip. We have all enjoyed it.

Dont' forget to look for the building where they are cooking meat on open fires

Nice place to have lunch. It was walking distance from where we were docked.

Joe.........nice touch that you have done for Paul and Judy. I hope you don't mind if I copy this and send it off to Bobbie. She loves leather, and probably has the day to herself as her parents are going to stay aboard.

Rick

Joe.........nice touch that you have done for Paul and Judy. I hope you don't mind if I copy this and send it off to Bobbie. She loves leather, and probably has the day to herself as her parents are going to stay aboard.

Rick

Rick,

By all means do. On my first e-mail to them, I told them to put a sign welcome Hornblowers. Remains to be seen what happens.

Thanks Joe!! I have passed it on!! I think that Bobbie will be checking with Paul tomorrow about the plans.

Rick

Paul & Rick,

Here is a copy of the e-mail sent by Joseph Birnfield. Print that stuff about a special discount. I didn't see that at first. I have been up at the hospital late treating a carbon monoxide poisoning with the Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber. This one was pretty bad, but much better after only one treatment. He will get another tomorrow.

I thought everyone knew about propane heaters in enclosed places and incomplete combustion producing high levels of carbon monoxide.

=================================================

Here is a copy of the e-mail

-----------------------------

Hello Dr Reynolds,

Thanks for all your recomendations.

We will have people wearing yellow polo shirts at the pier.

Please advise all those people that they can take our shuttle service.

Also I will have a person with a sign that say:

WELCOME

CRUISE CRITIC POSTER - SCAPEL

DR JOE REYNOLDS.

Please advise at Cruise Critic about all this.

Also tell yourr friends that we will give them a special discount.

Best regards

Joseph Birnfeld

Paul & Rick,

Here is a copy of the e-mail sent by Joseph Birnfield. Print that stuff about a special discount. I didn't see that at first. I have been up at the hospital late treating a carbon monoxide poisoning with the Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber. This one was pretty bad, but much better after only one treatment. He will get another tomorrow.

I thought everyone knew about propane heaters in enclosed places and incomplete combustion producing high levels of carbon monoxide.

=================================================

Here is a copy of the e-mail

-----------------------------

Hello Dr Reynolds,

Thanks for all your recomendations.

We will have people wearing yellow polo shirts at the pier.

Please advise all those people that they can take our shuttle service.

Also I will have a person with a sign that say:

WELCOME

CRUISE CRITIC POSTER - SCAPEL

DR JOE REYNOLDS.

Please advise at Cruise Critic about all this.

Also tell yourr friends that we will give them a special discount.

Best regards

Joseph Birnfeld

Joe..........do you have Paul's email address? Otherwise, I'll email this to him as well this morning.

Rick

17, 18, 19 and 20 January 2009

17 January: A day at sea. Not a lot going on.

Mostly caught up on sleep.

18 January: Arrived Rio at 1500. Judy and a group of folks contracted with an interpreter and a driver to take them to the hippie market and the beaches.

The hippie market is a large flea market with arts and crafts. Judy said they had some really nice things.

I didn’t go because my back and sciatic are not liking me right now. I also canceled the 8 hour tour of Rio tomorrow.

They all got back in time for dinner.

19 January: Full day in Rio. Judy went on the tour and got rained on in the morning. Said it was a good tour, but she was glad I didn’t go, crowded bus with the pop the clutch, slam on the brakes driver. Very easy getting our new sea pass cards. Decks 8, 9 and 10 went to the deck 5 dining room between 0730 and 0830, stopped at a table to get our new cards and then went to the picture taking area. Whole process took me about 5 minutes.

20 January: Day at sea on the way to Montevideo, Uruguay. 40 to 50 MPH winds and high seas. Ship was rocking, but no one we know got sick.

The dining issue has been worked out. All the Hornblowers that wanted to be together the first seating are now together.

Formal night, so I wore my top hat. Woody wore his formal black cowboy hat. Had our picture taken with

Captain Johnny.

Dinner was onion soup, chilled pear soup and duck, Everything was very good.

21 January: Another sea day. Had the 2nd slot pull today. Slots are set really tight. We put over $1300 through the machine and only spun the wheel of fortune twice.

Everyone lost $5 as the payout was $15.

Checked to see how many suites still open for the last LEG. Shows 16 JS open and 2 GS.

Paul....thanks for the updates. I'm really enjoying taking this cruise with you and Judy through the updates. And also Judy blog. Judy mentioned that she could use a sewing scissors. I bet if she asks the cabin steward, he could wrestle one up for her from the gals who take care of the costumes. Enjoy your days in Montevideo & Buenos Aires.

I didn’t go because my back and sciatic are not liking me right now. I also canceled the 8 hour tour of Rio tomorrow.

Ok Paul, here comes your long distance consult.

Back pain: If you have had it before, you probably know most about what to do about it.

Most back pain is secondary to muscle spasm which occurs because there is some minor ligament injury or strain in the sacroiliac area. For muscle spasm pelvic flexion exercises can help. Lay flat on the floor and you will feel a space between the floor and your lower back. Try and push your lower back against the floor in a constant motion so as to stretch the back muscles. You do this with your knees flexed up. You make your pelvic bone come forward.

Now if you are having any pain going down either leg that is not good. To try and determine if there is a disc problem or not lay flat on the floor. Take one leg with the knee straight and raise it up. If you can raise it to an angle of about 60 degrees without any pain down the leg good chance there is no disc problem with pressure on a nerve root. If you have a problem you will likely get a pretty significant pain down the leg when you hit 30 degrees angle from the floor. Do on opposite leg to check.

If anyone has any of those black Velcro braces like the Wal Mart workers wear, they help I wear mine under my clothes when I have trouble.

If you have leg pain only bed rest will help. If you have just back pain you can try the pelvic flexion exercises, massage, hot tube etc that help muscle spasm to relax. You did right to abort any long bus ride with either type of back pain.

Sometimes muscle spasm is helped with alternating ice packs to back and later some heat. Hope you get better

Ok Paul, here comes your long distance consult.

Back pain: If you have had it before, you probably know most about what to do about it.

Most back pain is secondary to muscle spasm which occurs because there is some minor ligament injury or strain in the sacroiliac area. For muscle spasm pelvic flexion exercises can help. Lay flat on the floor and you will feel a space between the floor and your lower back. Try and push your lower back against the floor in a constant motion so as to stretch the back muscles. You do this with your knees flexed up. You make your pelvic bone come forward.

Now if you are having any pain going down either leg that is not good. To try and determine if there is a disc problem or not lay flat on the floor. Take one leg with the knee straight and raise it up. If you can raise it to an angle of about 60 degrees without any pain down the leg good chance there is no disc problem with pressure on a nerve root. If you have a problem you will likely get a pretty significant pain down the leg when you hit 30 degrees angle from the floor. Do on opposite leg to check.

If anyone has any of those black Velcro braces like the Wal Mart workers wear, they help I wear mine under my clothes when I have trouble.

If you have leg pain only bed rest will help. If you have just back pain you can try the pelvic flexion exercises, massage, hot tube etc that help muscle spasm to relax. You did right to abort any long bus ride with either type of back pain.

Sometimes muscle spasm is helped with alternating ice packs to back and later some heat. Hope you get better

Joe.......I also have sciatic problems....because I have a spur on my L2. I get injections 3 times per year........meanwhile, I excercise and take Voltarin...........which really seems to help.

I'll have some aboard with me........is it alright to share it with Paul...if you think it would help??

I know.......don't share meds!!:D:D

Rick

Archived