Just Back from the Seabourn Pride Christmas Cruise

johnnycruise

We're back from a wonderful week on the Pride, Fort Lauderdale - St. Maarten. What a great time we had!

Most passengers were doing the full two-week roundtrip but a small group (about 30) of us opted for the shortened version. One of the highlights of the cruise was a "club" party just for the one-weekers in the Constellation Lounge. We thought that was an extra special touch. An intimate affair (about 15 guests) hosted by Club rep Johanna, CD Nick (amiable man with a marvelous singing voice from the bass notes to tenor), Captain Elliott and the President/CEO of Seabourn (Pamela Conover, accompanied by her husband Ray). Martita was awarded the "most days" Tiffany gift bag so I found out how many days she has (my lips are sealed). Her "acceptance" speech was a hoot - thanking all of those (by name) with more days who weren't invited to our intimate affair! They will have their club party this week.

The service on board was consistently exceptional and any special request was graciously accommodated. Karl, Thomas, Marion (newly hired and a delightful young woman), Bosi, Andreas and Lucca took great care of us at meal times, as did Ian (master bartender - great hand made Margaritas with Hornitos tequila he and the bar manager found hidden away some where) and Monica in the Club, and Nelson and Martin at the Sky Bar. Rosie is the best stewardess, without a doubt - her smile is omnipresent. A couple of others (there are many more) worth special mention were Mandy (comedian and magician) and Adriana, whose exceptional performances of "O Holy Night" and "Ave Maria" on Christmas Eve were the evening's standouts.

Among the dining highlights were the Oriental themed dinner in the Veranda, al fresco dining under the stars at the Sky Grill, and Beef Wellington prepared to absolute perfection on the second formal night in the Restaurant. Lobster, caviar and foie gras were on the menu at least 4x each during the week and were availble more often if you asked. The house wines were very good - I prefer chardonnay and there were four different choices (including a white Burgundy and a Sonoma County Ferrari-Carrano). Rose wine included a nice, dry Cotes de Provence.

Our fellow passengers were a great bunch and it was nice to see many familiar faces from previous cruises. It was also nice to put the other cruise critics faces with their aliases! Trivia was intense but our team did win one day - of course that was the day (St.) Nick decided everyone should get a prize. Oh well, we knew we had won!

Christmas Day was spent on Jost van Dyke in the British Virgin Island and its white sand beach (on aptly named "White Bay") provided us with the best kind of White Christmas. The Soggy Dollar is great little beach bar. Seabourn provided a deluxe limo service (i.e. a charted safari taxi truck) which ran continuously to/from the tender pier in Great Harbour - a very nice touch.

Although the weather during the week was quite windy at times and Grand Turk was a disappointment, Seabourn lived up to its reputation and once again exceeded our expectations. We are looking forward to enjoying the great Seabourn hospitality again soon.

johnny

Ian was one of our wine stewards on the Pride back in Aug-Sep 2006 on our Norwegian Fjords and British Isles cruise. Super person - glad to see him moving up. And what can you say about Nelson - such a wonderful individual.

Hey Seabourn - can you move them to the Spirit for a short time in May?

Greetings Johnny and Sol

Am safely back in West Texas after flying from St. Maarten to San Juan for a 'lit post Pride extended holiday!

What a fabulous Christmas week! Was thrilled to see so many familiar smiling Seabourn faces ~~and of course, very happy to be with Miss Pam and Squire Ray. (I surely did my best to keep her from working......but alas, there were a few items she needed to take care of ~~even on her much deserved/needed vacation)

I will post my review of our Christmas magical sailing a 'lit later today ~~:p

Martita B.

Sailor's

The Pride Christmas cruise was one of the most fun and memorable I've ever experienced. Many Seabourn regulars and great "newbies!" The CCer's were dee-lightful (Johnny& Sol, margate cruiser, tulip1, world travel girl, etc.) The Pride Lady looked gorgeous ~~thank you Seabourn! The gingerbread villages thru' out the ship were a work of art ~~!

Food an service ~~10 *! Corp. Ex. Chef, Tony Egger, was aboard assisting Ex. Cheffy Walter. Captain Hamish is truly a Master ~~and so much fun! (we still do not know the 2nd Captain for the Pride ~~has not been announced) Lulu was everywhere ~~ akin to a

mosquito.....always available to all of us. Lucca was adorable as was his beautiful wife (Crew Purser) ~~Lucca is such a favorite! Mr. Nelson was a HOOT~~I presented him with his Seabourn Christmas sunglasses ~~one simply needs to see these to believe them!:eek: Nelson has ask "his Boss" to extend his contract to be on our March Pride TA Crossing......(fingers xxxed) Some exciting news: Karl ask his sweetheart to marry him on Christmas Eve!! She's the Spa Manager and a real beauty, inside and out! The wedding will be held in South Africa but no date set ~~(I hope to attend) I so enjoyed being with my good friend, Miss Pam ~~she is such a quick wit and is a most remarkable, smart Lady ~~! Mr. Ray is always fun!

Nick Hale was outstanding CD! 10* Surely wish I had his engergy ~~! The entire entertainment team was excellent ~

As I'm not very interested in "Ports" or excursions perhaps other CCer's will post and review these. I did stroll over to "Foxy's" (Jost Van Dyke) to buy a Tee shirt.......but Foxy's wife had gone home WITH the key to the shirt store and wouldn't return and open the door!!!:confused: (I'll order one on line) "Foxy" is quite a character ~~we sat under a tree and visited awhile ~~he told me a couple of jokes...:eek:

A funny happening ~~~seems one couple did not like Seabourn!! This was their 1st time aboard and one evening at a hosted table (everyone else having a marvelous time) announced their list of things they did not care for: 1. bath towels TOO short 2.Captain was TOO young 3. ship was TOO old 4. they suspected food was being recycled ~~~! As the evening progressed there other things (they expressed) they didn't like! I was not at this hosted table but the next day at the Sky Bar it was the "topic of the morning" being told by some that were seated at the table. Wellll, each to his own ~~there are cruise lines and ships for all of us!:p

Again, I enjoyed every minute aboard the beautiful Pride Castle and look forward to her last TA Crossing, March 18th! Those that have not booked....please come join us!

Happy and a most healthly New 2009 Year!:p

Martita B.

Martita, must say on occassion, lurk on the Seabourn thread just to read your infectious posts..you have an exceptional cruise spirit that is simply contagious--pulls you in the Seabourn sealane and makes you study the itineraries for possiblities...we sail SS & Regent because of balconies..however, with the Oddessy/new builds we'll look at Seabourn again...HNY 2009...Hooah & thank you....r/wes

Colonel Wes

Thank you for your thoughtful words ~~yes, I guess I do have a small passion as to Seabourn and the sea! I laugh and say, "I use to be a Cowgirl......but now I'm a "Sailor woman!":p

My Mother and I loved the Radisson Diamond ~~we enjoyed 3 cruises aboard the 'lit "Cat" ~~Captain Neil Broomhall is one of my favorite Master's ~~(is he still Captain of the Saga Ruby?) I have suggested to our VIPS in Miami that "we" need to woo Capt. Broomhall away from Saga ~~~ (the correct word I should use is steal ~~ha ha ha:eek:) What a shame that the beautiful Diamond is now a gambling ship ~~all neoned in the Hong Kong Harbor ~

Yes, please consider the Odyssey ship ~~I've heard from several sources that she will be the MOST gorgeous/elegant vessel on the Seven Seas ~~and with balconies, too ! An idea for you ~~many of us are booked on the Oct. 31st, 09, Maiden TA Crossing ~~10 days, Malaga to Ft. Laud. This will be THE most fun 2009 sailing, I believe. I think there is still space available ~~come join us! There is to be a huge "welcome party" in Ft. Laud ~~

Thank you again for posting and also for "lurking" on our Seabourn board! :p

Have a most Happy and Healthy New Year ~~

Martita B.

Martita, thanks for invite, but today we booked the Maiden TA on Silversea's Spirit...great deal for veranda at $284 per diem...it is 16 nights, embark from

Lisbon, Funchal, Canary Islands, Antiqua, St. Maartin, Sjuan, FLL (can even get

some diving in at St. Maartin)...regardless, we will both have a blast on two

gorgeous new builds. r/wes

ColonelWes

What a deal!:p Our Odyssey Maiden TA Crossing is a 'tad more expensive but reasonable compared to other 2009 voyages on the new ship.

There are a number of us that are meeting in Malaga on the evening of Oct. 30th for cocktails and "tapas" ~~a pre Transatlantic party!

I'm trying to find decent air fares (to Malaga) for Oct. 29th ~~flying/airports these days are soooo stressful....:cool:

Congratulations on your exciting TA Crossing ~~Madeira is one of my favorite Islands!:D

Martita B.

I visited with Johnny last evening ~~he related and told me a story that I think is one of the funniest saga's I've ever heard as to "Club members boarding a Seabourn ship!" A hoot and a holler!:eek:

Johnny, might you pleeeeeze tell the story?

Martita B.

Anthony,

Many thanks! I don't "do" Heathrow so this might be "the ticket!"

As you know, getting from West Texas to anywhere is a hassel!

I'll check on your suggestion ~~!

I know you're getting ready for your South American Pride voyage ~~very exciting :D

Thanks again,

MB

Martita,

Just the highlights as it's told much better in person ...

1. The Rental Car shuttle from FLL airport to Port Everglades doesn't always provide "door-to-door" service;
  2. The security line for Seabourn crew members is always shorter; and,
  3. The Pride's engineering staff allows (insists?!?) certain passengers to work odd jobs to settle their onboard accounts!

Full details coming soon to the Sky Bar - to be followed by Martita and Foxy's "Island Dog" story.:eek:

As far as flying from W Texas to Malaga, you might check flying DFW nonstop to Madrid (new AA flight starting next spring) and then a short hop on Iberia to Malaga.

johnny

Peachy

Thank you for your expert flights advice ~~Mr. JB and I have, hopefully, worked it out.

Sooo happy to see you posting again! We've all missed you!

Surely wish you could have been with us on the Pride Christmas voyage ~~such fun with a few added surprises! Upon embarking we found the Pride looking like a Christmas fairyland! As we were sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale one couple was totally surprised/shocked when a cute green frog jumped out of their beautiful coffee table Poinsettia and started jumpin' a'round their suite! They literally ran to Lulu (Hotel Manager) with their news! He quickly "rounded up a posse" ~~armed with flashlights, they were on their way to find and capture the "green stow away!" Sure 'nuff he was hiding under the Guests bed ~~Carefully Lulu removed him and was off to report to the Guests that their frog hunt had been successful! (no, they didn't throw him overboard and no, "froglegs" were not on the dinner menu)

I wish that frog had been in my Christmas Poinsettia......I would have kissed him ~~hoping to see a big gold crown on his pretty 'lit Prince head!

(I heard Lulu had a very impressive posse......even Corp. Chef, Tony Egger, was in on the frog hunt) What fun events Seabourn provides for us!:D

Happy Sailing's!:p

Pinkie

Archived