Solstice Stabilizer Problems?

tally10

We are booked on the Equinox transatlantic and have been reading various reviews which have mentioned the fact that there seems to be a problem with feeling much more movement on the Solstice than most ships. People seem to think that the stabilizers don't work and maybe it is a design flaw. I have done 4 transatlantics to date on Celebrity and RCCL and have not had a problem with movement and rough seas, even though I am prone to seasickness. This has me a little worried. Any Soltice cruisers have any feedback?

On the Dec 14 sailing, the seas were fairly rough from FLL to San Juan. Reportedly 15-20 or 25 ft seas and sustained winds 25-30 mph with gusts to 50 mph.

Comparing to our experience in the Baltic a couple years ago with a similar or stronger storm, we thought the movement of Solstice was as expected considering the conditions. I think the stabilizers were working fine. There was a bit of rocking but IMHO not excessive. However a fair number were suffering from seasickness and they canceled the Solstice show on Monday night.

From all of the posts I have read the seas have been unusually rough between FLL and PR since Solstice was commisioned. Ships rock in rough seas regardless of stabilizers, all they do is reduce the movement not remove it.

Bottom line is if your prone to seasickness and it could ruin your vacation I would consider other options.

I get seasick when some one says "up one wave and down the next", as does my mother. Both of us have used Bonine (she used it through the Drake Passage in Antartica) with great success. I am NOT a doctor, but would suggest people look into it at their pharmacy.

That's really good to know. I do use Bonine/Meclizine or the patch anyway. It just seemed like almost every review I have read on the Solstice seemed to say that this ship did not handle the motion as well as others. I do know that wind plays a part in this and have experienced the side to side movement on both the Brilliance and also the Carnival Freedom. I think that was worse than the up and down.

We found that the ship handled the seas very well. It wouldn't matter to me but my wife would let me know if the motion was excessive. The second officer mentioned to me (an admittedly biased view) that the ship handled the seas better than any Celebrity vessel or other ship that he had served on. Being that the ship is long and thin I would think that it would handle head on seas very well but might have more motion with broadside or quartering seas.

Lets keep in mind that it is a ship not a hotel in any case, and ships move.

On the Dec 14 sailing, the seas were fairly rough from FLL to San Juan. Reportedly 15-20 or 25 ft seas and sustained winds 25-30 mph with gusts to 50 mph.

Comparing to our experience in the Baltic a couple years ago with a similar or stronger storm, we thought the movement of Solstice was as expected considering the conditions. I think the stabilizers were working fine. There was a bit of rocking but IMHO not excessive. However a fair number were suffering from seasickness and they canceled the Solstice show on Monday night.

Cruise director and our cabin attendant confirmed Dec 14 sailing was very rough. By contrast, our Christmas sailing one of the smoothest ever at a usually windy time of year. First and last days, FL to/from islands, ship was almost motionless, some winds from St. Maarten to Tortola caused minor movement. Solstice handled weather well but admittedly it was not challenged and we had good mid-ship position. Week before even passengers in our location were sick. But for us, it was the smoothest cruise and quietest sailing ship we have ever taken.

On our December 7th sailing of the Solstice, we thought it was pretty calm except perhaps some minor issues the 1st night after leaving Ft. Lauderdale. However, we were on a bridge tour the 1st sea day after the islands, and the 2nd officer who gave us the tour noted that the Atlantic was very rough and going back to Florida the Captain had decided on a course change. We went back through the Bahamian passage and experienced smooth sailings. Both my DH and I felt there was no more issues with stablization than on any other Celebrity ship.

On our December 7th sailing of the Solstice, we thought it was pretty calm except perhaps some minor issues the 1st night after leaving Ft. Lauderdale. However, we were on a bridge tour the 1st sea day after the islands, and the 2nd officer who gave us the tour noted that the Atlantic was very rough and going back to Florida the Captain had decided on a course change. We went back through the Bahamian passage and experienced smooth sailings. Both my DH and I felt there was no more issues with stablization than on any other Celebrity ship.

Same thing here on November 30th cruise. !0 to 12 foor seas off FLL and then no problems.

Did not feel ship move at all.

I think the criticism concerning the stabilizers on Solstice has been overblown. If you go to the HAL forum and read LAFFNVEGAS' blog of her b2b on the Eurodam you will see that cruising the week of December 14 for any ship was tough...VERY high seas and winds...and that the Eurodam was rocking significantly as well. I am not sure why cruisers don't expect movement on a ship...to enjoy the sea, you must "feel" the sea. I have not been on the Solstice yet (will cruise her in October of 2009), but I am sure that she is not any more or less prone to movement than any other vessel depending upon the conditions. Just keep that seasick medicine close by:).

We also were on the Dec. 14th Solstic cruise. Leaving Ft. Launderdale winds were gusting 25-30 kts. The captain chose the route through the Bahamas into the Atlantic for his route to San Juan. The first full day out (Monday) seas were 15-20 feet with some waves to 25 ft. This was all due to the passage of a strong front. I sailed the Caribbean for two years as captain of a large Coast Guard cutter, so I have a pretty good reference for sea states. And, I concur with the Soltice's captain's assessment that the seas were as unusually high.

Any ship will move around in those kinds of seas. Soltice's motion was as to be expected for a stablized ship of that size. The motion was definitely stabilzed and the ship really didn't roll or pitch all that much considering the seas were about 45 degrees off the bow--which gives you the worst combination of pitch and roll leading to seasickness.

The motion subdued some folks, but not many. My wife is very sensitive to motion, but with her pre-cruise wearing of the ear patch (Rx) she was just fine. The weather the rest of the cruise was typical Caribbean--3 to 5 foot seas which the Solstice handled with almost no movement at all.

Yes, the boat was definitely rocking! I had read these boards looking for football viewing options onboard the Solstice prior to our 12/14 sailing when I read all the scary posts about rocking seas...and that perhaps the Solstice herself was to blame.

We always sail during hurricane season and find it amazingly calm. So, I figured the 12/14 would be a non-issue. I am super sensitive to motion sickness. I get sick in elevators, walking on piers, swinging bridge, and definitely in the back seat of a car. No glass bottom boats for me, even ferry boats makes me nervous. But then, I discovered the Patch. I actually call in for a prescription for myself and my husband even though he never needs them, just so I have a few extras...just in case. I have to say, during the 12/14 sailing, my hubby was seasick for the very first time. He couldn't even stand in our cabin. I finally convinced him to put on a patch. He went to sleep for half the day and woke up feeling fine.

I was able to keep my spa appointment and head out to peruse the ship. Then we learned that our cabin attendant had to stop service because she, too, was sick for the first time. I also learned from the spa attendants that everyone was cancelling spa appointments. Everyone was staying in their cabins and not getting dressed to eat. Amazingly, with the patch, I do feel every single rock and roll, but it just doesn't bother me. It's just a little dizzying at times when you are out and about walking and you go to take a step when the floor immediately meets your foot. Very weird feeling. Sometimes, when I feel like I'm not just right, for good measure, I will pop a Bonine and chew on it. Nasty stuff, makes me gag. Other times (this works for me) I always steal a few boxes of Frosted Flakes at the breakfast buffet. Munching on them makes me feel better. They also have these amazing Rasberry Lemonades for $4 made with raspberry puree that really help to settle the stomach. Anyway, I never like to take any chances, so these are just a few tricks that work for me. I just never ever wait to see if I can "handle" it. In fact, during this particular cruise, I did replace my patch every other day vs. every 3 days. The motion was that constant.

Stablizer fins only handle the side to side motion for the most part. If the ship must go through the waves you are going to get the good old up/down expeirence and there isn't anything in the text book to eleminate it. One captain suggested having someone's kid figure out how to do it, everyone on board would be millionaires :D.

This doesn't happen much because they can stear the ship somewhat clear of disturbances or at least quarter the waves and let the stabilizers help.

But if you have to get from point A to point B...it happens.

The only time it really happened to us was getting back to port of disembarkation and the sea was really nasty. Don't think the captain had an option of driving in circles given others wanted to get on when we got off (a little dazed).

Archived