Helicopter Rescue on Independence

alansfreed

I apologize if someone else has posted this already...

We just got off Independence yesterday, and early in the trip we had a helicopter rescue at sea. I gather this is a pretty rare occurrence, since many crew members were out taking pictures of it as it happened. One crew member said it had been 4 months since he had seen a similar operation.

This took place last Monday afternoon (12/22/08) as we were at sea. The captain came on the PA system and announced that a helicopter would be arriving to airlift an ill passenger. He gave us several updates as the chopper got closer. As you can imagine, many people gathered on the top decks to watch. The Deck Patrol folks had cleared off the front area of the ship, so we couldn't watch it all too closely.

The ship changed course as soon as the crew was notified about the passenger's problems. We had been heading between Cuba and Key West at the time, but they turned toward Key West to give the helicopter a shorter trip.

The chopper came in past the ship on the starboard side, and then approached on the port side from behind. Presumably, they did this so the helicopter would be heading into the wind. The ship never came to a stop; the helicopter hovered along beside it for several minutes, keeping the same speed as the ship before coming in to land.

It was probably on the ship 10 minutes or so before heading away. The captain said the maneuver set us back about 3 hours, but we were able to make up the time and didn't miss any time at Grand Cayman the next morning.

Anyway... it was definitely an interesting and memorable site! Of course we heard numerous rumors along the way about the nature of the passenger's illness. From what I heard, it was a woman who was experiencing seizures. Someone said that she was doing well, and she may have even rejoined the cruise on the final days, but I have no idea whether or not that happened. Here are a couple pictures of the helicopter approaching, and people gathered to watch:

chopper.jpg

chopper-watchers.jpg

We had the same thing happen week before last on the Grandeur. Were also off the coast of Cuba. We turned North also towards Florida and the chopper arrived 3 hours later. Took almost another hour to get the patient transferred as the winds were pretty high and we later found out that he didn't make it to the hospital.:(

A friend of mine has been a ship's doctor (he practices ER medicine). He had 2 people airlifted during his 6 months onboard. It is only done (according to him) when the ship is close enough to shore to make is possible and when the doctor feelings the time saved by airlifting VS cruising could make a difference to if the person survives. The decision is with the doctor.

Barb

God bless the Coast Guard!

PRC

(A proud USCG dad)

I'll second that also.:)

We were on a 10 day onboard the Grandeur week before last and one of our table mates is currently in the Coast Guard (17 years). Really enjoyed our conversations every night at dinner.

For what it's worth, I didn't have major debarkation issues ;) I'll be writing a thorough review early this week, including menus.

It sounds like the Independence was very exciting last week, between this and the debarkation issues! :eek:

Best wishes to the ill passenger.

When Hubby and I were on the Navigator our cruise ship had to turn around to meet up the with the Coast Guard Helicopter on Wednesday December 10th on our Day at Sea while returning from Ocho Rios the day prior. Our Captain and Cruise Dirctor said that they would keep us posted but we never did hear any further updates. RCCLTV did keep showing the resuce and we did watch the rescue a few times and then we changed channels it was too upsetting. The Captain and Cruise Director said everything went correctly and according to plan. Our Captain did thank all the RCCL Crew that were invloved in this rescue as well as the Coast Guard for a timely and successful rescue. Our passenger was transported to a hospital in Nassau, Bahamas. Our Thoughts and Prayers were and still are with our fellow cruise passenger. If anyone happens to know how either person is doing from either or both air lift situations please do let us know. I could not even imagine the stress for their loved ones and dear friends who would have to endure this. To witness their loved one have to be air lifted from a ship what a horrible and sad situation. I hope both passengers are making a full recovery or already have and are home safe and sound!!! Sincerely, Melissa

Archived