Which place is best for snorkeling - great stirrup cay,cozumel,belize,roatan?

Traveller20074

On the eastern Caribbean cruise we're taking in March..these are the ports. Where is the best snorkeling?

I have snorkeled them all... cozumel is good at chankanaab park but great from a boat... belize via a boat excursion is excellent and roatan from the beach is excellent... .. ...

On the eastern Caribbean cruise we're taking in March..these are the ports. Where is the best snorkeling?

Haven't been to Great Stirrup, but the rest are all excellent.

I'd rank them:

!) Roatan

2) Cozumel

3) Belize.

I recommend a boat snorkel, but if that's out, there's first rate shore snorkeling at Roatan.

Some of the near shore reefs at Coz have recovered a bit since Hurricane Wilma, but they are still only fair.

Fortunately, the off shore reefs such as Palancar, Columbia and Punta Sur suffered only minor damage. They are world class.

I'd recommend an independent operator for Coz and Roatan.

However, I lucked out with Anthony's Key Resort as the cruise ship's operator at Roatan. They were excellent. The boat was uncrowded with a terrific guide.

There are a number of good operators at Cozumel, but I've been very pleased with Eagle Ray.

http://www.eagleraydivers.com/

You might consider booking a ship's snorkel at Belize. It's a tender port, but the snorkel boat picks up at the ship's tender doors.

The boat may be crowded, but it's more convenient. Besides, the crowd disperses once you're in the water.:p

Archived