Is a carseat required to take taxi/bus at ports

cruiseaholic76

Hi I have a question. We'll be traveling with my 2 1/2 year old on his first cruise to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. We've been to both of these ports before and for Grand Cayman just most likely will take a cab or bus to seven mile beach. In Cozumel we'll take a cab to Chankanaab park. Do people bring carseat with them off the ship to put into the cabs or buses. This might sounds like a stupid question but I have no clue since I've never traveled on a cruise with my son before and I don't recall ever seeing other kids sitting in carseats when we've been on buses. Any help would be appreciated.

First, will you have a carseat with you anyway for the plane or a taxi to the port? Personally, if I had one on the ship, I'd take it with me on excursions. If I was not going to need one otherwise, I'd see if there was any way I could find a cab that had a carseat. Or honestly, I'd probaby try to avoid a cab ride if I couldn't safely secure my child in the vehicle. My motto is to secure my children for each and every ride the way I'd want them secured in a life threatening accident.

Busses are statistically MUCH safer than smaller vehicles, that is why in the US there are typically no seatbelts on busses. I can only assume since US busses have no seatbelts, that busses in Grand Cayman and Cozumel would not have them either. If your choice is bus or cab, definately go for the bus, especially with an unsecured child.

We live in Florida so we'll just be driving to Tampa and parking our car. I'm not sure if I've ever seen buses in Cozumel or not. Would I just check the carseat in with the porters. I have an older carseat so I can bring that one and leave my good one home. I'm just worried about it getting tossed around and ruined. If Grand Cayman and Cozumel have buses I might just opt to leave the carseat behind. Have either of you ever seen buses in those ports that you can take. We aren't doing tours so I'm not sure if there are buses to just drop you off at the different places. I just didn't know if they had laws there where you had to have the kids in carseats like they do here. Thanks.

I have a two year old and we brought a car seat with us for all taxi and bus rides. The first time I just took the 40 pound car seat out of my car, bought a car seat carry bag and lugged the thing with us. It was horrible. The second time I bought a 12 pound seat that worked so much better. It is still a lug, but it is worth the peace of mind. Plus, my son is happier in a car seat than he would be holding him on my lap.

I have read that the taxis or buses don't have seat belts. We have been on three cruises and three other trips to the mexico and the carribean with a baby/toddler and we have always had seatbelts in taxis and buses. Maybe we have just been fortunate.

When I say buses, I mean excusion buses. So you have none planned? Then you will be taking taxis everywhere.

I have a foldable travel car seat, but I wouldn't recommend that anymore. Since we started talking about it here, the price rocketed from $29.99 to $229.99 :eek:. It is not worth that.

If you take a full size car seat, yes you can hand it to the porters. They can carry it on for you.

It would be easy to say "Nope, you don't need one"....but would you consider driving around the US without your child strapped in? Probably not. ;) Driving in Mexico is even worse.

Thanks everyone for your replies. We've been to both of these ports numerous times and in Grand Cayman we will most likely do the beach and maybe stop at the turtle farm since I think my son will enjoy that. We love to snorkel and always go to Chankanaab on our own for the day. The shore excursions on the ship are a rip off. I'll just bring the second hand carseat that we have this way if it gets beat up I won't mind. I was even thinking of getting one of those 5 point harness booster seats I think they may weigh less. In Mexico they drive nuts so that was a concern of mine.

I just wanted to add that I have this topic on my blog. There are some other car seat suggestions written there too. You can review it here...

www.cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com

It's about halfway down the page.

I'm going to look now and see into buying a portable carseat I didn't even know they made them.

Archived