RCCL using GC as a port ?

loten

We are a small group of 13, going with the "Mariner of the seas" in December.

Me and my fiancé are supposed to get married at Grand Cayman December 9th.

Everything, like photographer,flowers,dinner,horse&carriage, are booked since a long time ago.

For two weeks ago, our travel-agent here in Sweden told us that the cruise-ships were allowed to port at Cayman November 1th.

But now we´re getting real worried. I been read that RCCL not using Grand Cayman as a port of call. They are providing the Cayman Islands with additional storm recovery time."

Please, does anyone have any updates about this????

Now, we don´t know what to do.

loten

Not sure where you got your information but there are RCCL ships stopping in Grand Cayman this week, and scheduled further. Check this board for the Cayman port schedule. It has been updated with current information.

I'd be more worried about the onshore preparations. Are your suppliers all up and running?

Sounds like a great place to get married. Good luck.

Su

I´ve read about it here at the cruise critic.

The forum is "1st Ship arriving November 1st 2004"

It was posted by Janett at November 10th. Here´s a copy:

"This was on CI Government/Radio Cayman's website yesterday:

Royal Caribbean Cruise lines wont send ships to Cayman - for a while longer 08/11/2004As cruise tourism officially resumed last Monday following the passage of Hurricane Ivan, one cruise line company has refused to send its ships to Grand Cayman.

Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (RCCL) has yet to send a ship to Grand Cayman, although the Cayman Islands cruise arrival schedule, which was issued just days before the November 1st resumption date, has RCCL listed to visit five times over a two week period.

The RCCL ship, Splendor of the seas, was scheduled to arrive Monday, but did not show. Radiance of the seas was scheduled to arrive on Friday November 5th, and Navigator do the seas was scheduled on Wednesday November 3rd, none of the vessels anchored in the George Town Harbor. The cruise line is scheduled to arrive on two different days later this week. A spokesperson for RCCL said, "We are providing the Cayman Islands with additional storm recovery time." There was no indication given as to when RCCL would resume using Grand Cayman as a port of call. "

Yes, we have contact the "Grand Old House". It´s the place where we are supposed to get married. They were hold their first wedding since the "Ivan"

at November 1st.

Thankyou for your answers.

loten

Having heard also from another source that RCCL did not show in GC I am now wondering what the deal is. Is the island not up to RCCL standards? I am sorry about your wedding. Hopefully you can work something out. Anyway, thanks for alerting us to the possibility of not getting there even though they want us.

Susan

Susan. The island has not fully recovered. GRand Cayman is currently only allowing up to four ships a day rather than the 7 or 8 daily arrivals prior to the storm. I'm sure Royal Caribbean wants their guests to be happy with the port, not disappointed.

zydecocruiser,

Thanks for posting!!! I have been waiting to hear confirmation that RCCL ships were in port lasst week. Capt Marvins said they had been getting customers from RCCL but with all the other rumors going around, I was looking for confirmation!!!

We were on the CCL Inspiration in GC on 11/10. There were two other ships anchored: The CCL Imagination and a RCCL ship making a total of three ships anchored. The tender service was very good, no waiting when we went ashore at 8:30 am. We were in the water at Eden Rock snorkling by 9am. Snorkled for three hours and then did a bit of shopping. We heard from other guests that the Stingray City tours were excellent, lots of 'rays present. Also heard that Seven Mile Beach is in good shape. All guests we spoke with were very impressed with the recovery from Ivan. A great time was had by all. But you can't help noticing the huge pile of debris just east of Georgetown that can be seen with binoculars from the upper ship decks. Makes you realize the hard work that these folks have done to allow us to have a good time. Give the Grand Caymians two thumbs up!

Hi! here is another site with port info. It shows your ship along with another RCCL ship will be at Grand Cayman on the 9th. Hope this is correct!

http://www.cruisecal.com/20041209p.html

My understanding is that they will be back to full ship schedules in early December instead of the limited number of ships they've been having there.

Here is the actual Cayman Port site with ships listed: http://www.caymanport.com/schedule.htm The Mariner is going there on 11/25. the December calendar hasn't been updated yet but look at how many ships are there in November.

Best of luck!

Hi Loten,

We just returned from the RC Explorer, and spent a full day at Grand Caymen on Friday, 11/12. The crew told us this was the first time the Explorer had been back to GC since the hurricane, and they were thrilled to put this stop back on their itinerary.

We had a wonderful time at GC. We especially enjoyed 7 Mile Beach, and swimming with the Sting Rays. We had also signed up to snorkel, but the water was too choppy near the reef, so that portion of our tour was cancelled and refunded automatically.

The island is working at a feverish pace to restore everything - more construction crews and cranes than you can imagine. Some places were unscathed, while adjacent buildings were devastated.

If you are getting married at a specific facility, I would definitely check with them to make sure they will be fully operational by your wedding date...but if you are getting married somewhere on the beach, based on what we saw, you will be fine! Your pictures and wedding will be fabulous.

Have a wonderful time!

Debbie

Grand Cayman is on our itenerary for Dec 23 (RCCL Rhapsody). It is not listed at caymanport.com but is listed at cruisecal.com. Is there one or the other of these that is updated more frequently or is more reliable? I have already scheduled excursions and really want to see Cayman! Any information would be so helpful. Thanks!

I am the webmaster at cruisecal.com. My schedules are based on what the Cruise lines publish for booking. I do try to update the site as people notify me of changes to itineraries. Since the Rhapsody is scheduled to stop there on a few sailings before yours, you may want to post questions on these boards asking specifically if recent Rhapsody passengers have stopped there.

Brian

Brian, thanks so much for the info. After I posted on the boards, I contacted Capt. Marvins and they said that they are ASSUMING that by Dec 23 the Rhapsody will also be added to those to stop in Cayman. As far as I can find out, Rhapsody has not added Cayman back into the itenerary yet. I have fingers, toes and eyes crossed that we will still be going to Cayman!

Loten and others: Grand Cayman 11/11- I was with Bigmerle and Janette their family and friends and have been to GC many times. You will stop at Grand Cayman as long as the weather and seas permit. The seas and winds were pretty bad on Thursday, so all ship Swim and Snorkel (boating) tours were cancelled. All private tours did sail however, many people really got sick out there as those boats were really rocking and the waves made gentle snorkeling and swimming quite a chore. I was very sad to see Seven Mile Beach in such a horrible condition. It almost looks like crop clearing or land clearing like in Alaska when they cut down thousands of acres. I just couldn't go or stop at the beach across from the old Holiday Inn (now a Courtyard). There are absolutely no palms trees left, just brush. As mentioned there are still many people after two months that do not have electricity.

Now as for a "spot" to be married at, you might want to discuss that with local authorities at Grand Cayman. Unless it is inside or on the grounds of the Hyatt or Courtyard hotels, which are not right on the beach and are open, I can't imagine where you will have your nuptuals. The beach is not pretty. There are many web sites noted on this port forum.

Our adventure with Nativeway was not as positive as we would have liked; We were greeted and met at the pier with no problem. The staff had us all meet at 10, but when the driver went to get the bus, it had a flat tire. We got a replacement quickly, but then had great difficulty removing the large lug nuts; he was turning the wrench the wrong way! Finally with the help of our of our cruisecritics, they got the tire off, got a jack that was better suited for a bus and not a small car, and we left the pier about an hour late. It was sad to see our driver in nice leather loafer, clean shorts & shirt, get under this mini-bus and get all dirty. We really felt bad for him. This is one of the draw backs of doing a private tour. It can happen to anyone at anytime.

Ships in port on 11/11: Mariner, Conquest, Star & Victory.

Bon Voyage

Loten and others: Grand Cayman 11/11- I was with Bigmerle and Janette their family and friends and have been to GC many times. You will stop at Grand Cayman as long as the weather and seas permit. The seas and winds were pretty bad on Thursday, so all ship Swim and Snorkel (boating) tours were cancelled. All private tours did sail however, many people really got sick out there as those boats were really rocking and the waves made gentle snorkeling and swimming quite a chore. I was very sad to see Seven Mile Beach in such a horrible condition. It almost looks like crop clearing or land clearing like in Alaska when they cut down thousands of acres. I just couldn't go or stop at the beach across from the old Holiday Inn (now a Courtyard). There are absolutely no palms trees left, just brush. As mentioned there are still many people after two months that do not have electricity.

Now as for a "spot" to be married at, you might want to discuss that with local authorities at Grand Cayman. Unless it is inside or on the grounds of the Hyatt or Courtyard hotels, which are not right on the beach and are open, I can't imagine where you will have your nuptuals. The beach is not pretty. There are many web sites noted on this port forum.

Our adventure with Nativeway was not as positive as we would have liked; We were greeted and met at the pier with no problem. The staff had us all meet at 10, but when the driver went to get the bus, it had a flat tire. He got a replacement quickly, but then had great difficulty removing the large lug nuts; he was turning the wrench the wrong way! Finally with the help of one of our cruisecritics, they got the tire off, got a jack that was better suited for a bus and not a small car, and we left the pier about an hour late. It was sad to see our driver in nice leather loafer, clean shorts & shirt, get under this mini-bus and get all dirty. We really felt bad for him. This is one of the draw backs of doing a private tour. It can happen to anyone at anytime.

Ships in port on 11/11: Mariner, Conquest, Star & Victory.

Bon Voyage

As previously mentioned, I was on the Conquest in GC Nov 11. Nobody on Soto's cruises got sick, although it could be possible under any sea conditions, if one is suceptible. If so, take some non-drowsy seasickness medication.

First time snorkelers could have been intimidated, but I had no problem.

I assume someone on Grand Cayman is a contact for all the wedding preparations? If so, you might contact them to see that everything is still in order.

As for locations, there should be a number that are, or will be, available.

Grand Cayman is opening up to land based tourists on November 20th; some hotels/resorts will be available. Grand Cayman Airways and others will be flying tourists in.

The Westin Casuarina Resort is on 7 mile beach and is reopening November 20th. There will no doubt be more.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20041116005611&newsLang=en

and

http://www.worldtravelvision.com/westin/

Archived