Where do you order swim shirts?

OnTheBrink

I always get my kids swim shirts to help with the sun damage. I've been buying the ones at Target. This is the first year that my daughter can't fit in the toddler size ones. She wore a 5T last year at age 7, but this year she's finally outgrown the toddler sizes (which is very exciting for her!).

So - where do you get swim shirts in regular girls sizes? We'd especially love the ones that come with the little shorts.

I buy at Old Navy for my niece and nephew, but beware that the girls sizes are made ridiculously small. It kills me that a girl's size medium is half the size of a boy's - gotta love our society, tarting up the 6 year old girls. :rolleyes:

We still slather on the sunscreen under those shirts though. Studies have shown that they're not as good at blocking rays as most people assume they are, especially after several washes. But I figure they have to help, and they look darned cute. ;)

I buy at Old Navy for my niece and nephew, but beware that the girls sizes are made ridiculously small. It kills me that a girl's size medium is half the size of a boy's - gotta love our society, tarting up the 6 year old girls. :rolleyes:

We still slather on the sunscreen under those shirts though. Studies have shown that they're not as good at blocking rays as most people assume they are, especially after several washes. But I figure they have to help, and they look darned cute. ;)

Do they make adult swim shirts???????????????

I just got some at Target in the girls' section (not toddlers) - they arrived in the store in the last week or two. They have the matching bottoms for sale as well. They were in an area adjacent to the boys' section and both boys and girls sun shirts/bottoms were displayed together.

Best,

Mia

I've never seen adult ones at Old Navy, but we don't always get the same stock here. I bought one at a regular sports store a while back, for my BIL. More expensive than Old Navy, obviously.

A quick google search popped up :

http://www.cwear.com/

http://www.coolibar.com/03505.html

Target seems to make boys shirts, in addition to toddler, so I would assume they make girls too. If not, maybe a boys one would do your daughter?

Keep googling, your bound to find more.

My suggestion is Lands End. You can order on-line or call directly. Their swim gear selection is available year round. Their return policy is great. If you are not sure what size, they will assist you in sizing. OR purchase a couple of different sizes and return the other one. Return the item at your local SEARS, no questions asked.

landsend.com The phone number is on their website. Sorry I don't have it.

Good Luck!

Yes they do. Surfers wear them all the time. They are called Surfer Rash Guard Surf Shirts. Google it and you'll find tons of stores.

Here in southern california they are called "rash guards". If you google that term you will find stuff.

What I found interesting is we went to a waterpark in Indiana last summer with the kids and all 5 of us had rash guards. The park was packed, but I only saw one other person wearing one. Lots of sunburned bodies though. I guess it is still making its way through the country.

Here in southern california they are called "rash guards". If you google that term you will find stuff.

What I found interesting is we went to a waterpark in Indiana last summer with the kids and all 5 of us had rash guards. The park was packed, but I only saw one other person wearing one. Lots of sunburned bodies though. I guess it is still making its way through the country.

Yeah, I'm in Wisconsin and have never heard of them.

I'll have to check them out though!

If you are near Appleton Sheels (at Fox River Mall) had a nice selection prior to Tgiving. I've gotten one for me and ones for my DD (now 13yo) at the Lands' End Inlet in Oshkosh in the past - but that's always hit-and-miss.

I just bought her a couple on LandsEnd.com since I had a free shipping code. I got two shirts, two skirts, two bikini tops (for night) and two bikini bottoms - they all mix and match. I think my total was $74 with tax. Not bad!

We love these shirts. Bought many at LandsEnd over the years for the kids. Hubby bought one last summer too.My son (11) hates sunblock so he always wears one. Just make sure that if you get one and don't sunblock under it that it has SPF built in. My DD (5.5) loves bikini swim suits but I make her wear the shirt too. She doesn't care if you can't see the bikini top, as long as she gets to wear it (go figure!)

My kids have never worn them, but I am thinking of getting them one for our next cruise. One question, do they also keep you warmer in the water, as my son is always freezing in the water. Thanks

I don't think they really do. They don't keep the water off their skin. It's more to keep the sun off.

I bought my 4 y.o. a set off of the Disney Store site last year. I actually bought the shirt for inside use - for swimming lessons, as the pool water was freezing, it did keep him slightly warmer than just wearing trunks. I like the shirt when we travel to sunny places though, as he is very fair skinned and it is nice to keep him covered.

They do tend to keep them a little warmer but not like a real wetsuit. Beware though that if the air temp if cool when they get out they do tend to get colder faster with the shirt on. If the air temp is not really high, or if there is a wind, we will often take the wet shirt off and put on a dry tee.

I buy mine at Coolibar. They are a little more expensive than the ones you can get at Target, but are also much nicer. I find that they hold up to the salt and chlorine much better and they don't ride up in the back leaving some skin exposed. The ones for my kids are all rated 50+. Always check out the sale section first - got some good deals there.

In fact, our whole family wears the sun shirts and sun hats. They were great when we were in Cabo San Lucas last summer.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually find mine at Target in the boys and girls area, Old Navy or Academy. At Academy they were in the boogie board area and not with the swim suits and they had larger sizes. We stock up each year as my son seems to wear his out completely. I saw Target has gotten theirs out already.

I buy mine at Coolibar. They are a little more expensive than the ones you can get at Target, but are also much nicer. I find that they hold up to the salt and chlorine much better and they don't ride up in the back leaving some skin exposed. The ones for my kids are all rated 50+. Always check out the sale section first - got some good deals there.

In fact, our whole family wears the sun shirts and sun hats. They were great when we were in Cabo San Lucas last summer.

Just wanted to let everyone know that Coolibar has lots of their kids one on sale right now. Not sure for how long but the ones I just received are really nice. I agree that they are bit more money but way nicer than anything I've seen.

Archived