In Room Babysitting...

cheney_23

I am not new to cruising, but new to cruising with my toddler. She will be 29 months old when we embark on the Independence of the Seas in March. Yes, I know she cannot attend Adventure Ocean, but can participate in pools as she is potty trained. There is a large group of us going, 8 in total with a 6 adults. We will probably have enough sitters, but I am sure there will be nights when we will all want to attend the show or have a child free dinner. I love the idea of in room babysitting, but I have a few questions...

As of right now all 4 rooms are interior side by side, but not connecting. I am going to call RC (they are closed today for holiday) to see about a change but I think that is unlikely... You might wonder why I didn't just book connecting when I bought the cruise, well it is a gift from my parents and I guess they were not thinking about that.... Anyway, if I reserve a babysitter and my daughter is sleeping (as many have said they have done) what does the sitter do? My daughter is very used to sleeping in a dark quiet room and I am not sure what a sitter or even myself would do. We have tossed about the idea of bringing the baby monitor and being in the room next door, but I am not 100% sure how I feel about that, and I would never want a sitter doing that.

what have others done on other cruises? I just don't want to be stuck going to bed at 8 every night! That is her usual bed time and I am sure I can keep her up a little later, but with all that will be going on I am sure she will sleep at regular time! Any advice is greatly appreciated! Any advice on what RC might say when I call them tomorrow about finding 2 connecting rooms would also be great! :)

I would just spring for the sitter. I would in NO WAY just leave the child in the room with a baby monitor. And, I would keep on RCI about connecting rooms for your immediate family. You don't HAVE to be next door to the others---but you DO need to be near your child!!!

I was going to get the sitter in MY room but I just didn't know what the sitter would do. Also, I didn't wnat it to come across that I was going to leave her, I was not! I am calling RC today about the connecting rooms, I just want 2. I agree the others can be elsewhere.. wish me luck!

Good luck!

And about the sitter. I guess they ask if they can take the baby to the Promenade and meet other sitters. It's their only chance to enjoy the ship. So they make walk around with a stroller on deck and things like that.

If the baby is sleeping...then they may just sit back and read.

Good luck with getting the connecting cabins!

Archived