Doing Laundry on the Ships?

mtnhappy

Can you do your own laundry on the ship? How much does it generally cost for a load? We are trying to figure out how to pack a little lighter and think that doing laundry on the ship might be a good option to avoid having to pack a bunch of clothing. We are doing a bit of land touring first and then doing a southbound cruise. Any suggestions?

depends on what cruiseline you are taking. some have laundromats and some don't. Holland America does. Check with the cruiseline that you are taking. If they don't, then you have to send it to the ship laundry which can get expensive unless you don't mind.

Not all HAL ships have self serve laundries - the Vista class plus the new Eurodam don't. I think all Princess ships have laundries. Don't think RCI has them. So, the answer is, it depends. Usually the price is $1 to wash and $1 to dry - but with the "heavy" clothes needed for Alaska it might be $2 to dry. Also, the loads are not as big as most home machines.

Look at the deck plans for the first couple of decks to see if you see a Lanundry. Also the write up on the ship will meniton if they have a laundry. You can also have the ship do it. Expensive.

They might also have a laundry bag deal that could do a couple of days cloths. Search for my question Laundry Zaandam Hawaii.

Princess has laundry rooms and loads are $1.00. Vending machines sell soap and other products. One thing to keep in mind is that the laundry was closed while in Alaskan waters during our inside passage cruise. We did laundry on our at sea day. I don't know if this is the case on one way cruises.

I've become a fan of using the ship's laundry so that I don't have to spend my time in "college dorm" mode when on vacation. :-) But this can require some wardrobe planning. Some ships offer "next day" service, so you have to be prepared to do without the cloths in question for over 24 hours.

Thanks guys!

Princess has laundry rooms and loads are $1.00. Vending machines sell soap and other products. One thing to keep in mind is that the laundry was closed while in Alaskan waters during our inside passage cruise. We did laundry on our at sea day. I don't know if this is the case on one way cruises.

Does anyone know if the laundry is ALWAYS closed while in Alaskan waters? We were hoping to do laundry first thing on our southbound cruise. We will most likely be cruising with Princess.

Thanks guys!

Does anyone know if the laundry is ALWAYS closed while in Alaskan waters? We were hoping to do laundry first thing on our southbound cruise. We will most likely be cruising with Princess.

I was on the Island Princess last August and the laundry was always OPEN when we wanted to use it - and my travel companion must have used it 5 times in 7 days!

Thanks guys!

We did laundry on the first sea day out of Whittier on the Princess Diamond after seeing College Fjord in the morning. It's very convenient and not too expensive. Saved us from having to pack two weeks worth of underwear, socks, tshirts, etc.

We took a OW cruise on HAL Zaandam. The laundromat was open every night until 10 or 11 but not all HAL ships have the facilites as others have said. The machines hold about 1/2 to 3/4 of what your machine at home probably holds, so plan on a few more loads. Detergent is eco-friendly liquid detergent that dispenses into the machine by pressing a button. Suggest you plan laundry on an "at sea" night...then you can stay up late doing laundry without having to get up early the next morning for tours.

Another suggestion is to save up old socks and underwear for the trip. After you wash them halfway through your trip, wear them one last time and throw them away. That will free up room for cool Alaska souveneirs!

Archived