Tampa Hotel questions

ilmsg

We are leaving out of Tampa for a 1/24 RCCL cruise, and we'll be spending the full day there prior (1/23). I have read these boards for Tampa hotels for a week straight, and I think I'm overwhelmed!!!

What I'm looking for is an inexpensive hotel (so I think right at the port is out as I have seen they are pretty pricey) that is clean, that is somewhat close to some things to do for a day. I know there is a free trolley but I'm not sure exactly where that goes. I found a few good prices on hotels but I'm not sure exactly what's around them, and if we'll be paying an arm and a leg for taxi service to get to places to check things out for the day.

We generally enjoy just walking around on foot and checking out the town ourselves so something where we would be able to do that would be great.

Any suggestions?

And can someone tell about me the general areas... Westshore, downtown etc. are they nearby the port? I was looking on priceline/hotwire and I'm not 100% which area to bid on as I want to make sure it fits our bill.

TIA!

I was also looking for an inexpensive Tampa hotel. I am only staying the night before my cruise so I don't need a lot of entertainment near by. My biggest priority was a safe clean property. I spoke with a friend who visits the city a lot and he suggested that I stay near the airport or downtown. I was able to book the Hyatt downtown for $79. Im not sure if I can name the travel site I booked through but lets just say I knew it was at least 3.5 stars and the area before I made my offer...I was told it was the Hyatt Regency after I booked. I checked with Hyatt and the room goes for about $200. Im told that there are places to eat in the area and its about 10 blocks to the ship. Unfortunately the hotel does not offer a complimentary airport shuttle so I will need to take a taxi. I am still looking into my options in getting to the ship from the hotel, its about 10 blocks Im told so if I need a taxi it will be a short ride. Hope this helps...I have read good reviews of the Hyatt on Cruise Critic.

Happy Travels,

Rick

Do you know if the Westshore or Downtown area would be the best? I might try bidding on a hotel, but I'm not sure which area is the most ideal (more things within walking distance etc.) ??? :confused:

the westshore area is out by the airport so there is some stuff around depedning on which hotel. downtown is ok too...but i would stick close to the port...the hyatt is ok, as is the marriott waterside and the embassy suites...

i only stayed in 1 hotel by the airport and i was able to walk a few places (i was at the courtyard airport)....westshore tends to be a little cheaper i think.

Sorry Ilmsg I dont know about Westshore....I do recall it has been mentioned on here a lot so Im sure someone will have that ans. I was feeling a bit like you...information overload!!! Thats why I just decided to pull the trigger. I realized I just need dinner, sleep, and breakfast.

Hi! we just stayed at the Embassy Suites Westshore. Before tax it was $99. It was clean, friendly and the suite itself was huge! 2 flat screen tv's, a small (very small) balcony. A nice outdoor pool.

Cooked to order breakfast. Managers reception the evening of check in with free drinks and hor d'oeuvres. You can sit inside or outside on a nice patio.

It is right across from the Westshore Plaza Mall. We were there before noon so they held our luggage for us while we went to the mall to shop and have lunch.

We ate at Maggiano's Little Italy. It was very good and filling. We did not have dinner that night just the hor d'oeuvres at the reception and that was plenty.

I would definately stay there again!

Hope you enjoy your time in Tampa and your cruise!

Kelly

I agree that other thread while it does have a lot of info it is OVERWHELMING!!

Archived