Meteor Showers

CruiseCATnMACK

We will be cruising next month and will be fortunate to be at sea during the Geminid’s Meteor Shower. In the past this has been one of the best showers I have observed. Another favorite of mine is the Perseid’s in August; however, nothing will ever compare to the Leonid’s of November 2002. We stopped counting at 200 and that was in less than a half hour. So does anyone else keep an eye on the calendar for meteor showers? For those that have never experienced a meteor shower here is a link for more information, including a calendar of events:

http://comets.amsmeteors.org/

Although nothing as spectacular as the Leonid’s of the 2001/2002 is expected next Wednesday (November 17th) should be an excellent opportunity to observe an active shower during the early morning hours.

Thank you for the information! We are sailing Jan 12 - 20 to the Mexican Riveria from San Diego. Will there be any meteor showers visible to us? I love watching them but living in Southern California makes it difficult to see them due to the lights.

Thanks again!!!:)

Will there be any meteor showers visible to us?
Sorry to say that there is no major activity for the week you will be cruising. You can use the link in my original post to check the calendar of events.

I also live in southern California and have found that there are many great areas to go and view the showers. In Virginia we always had the issue of our mountains having trees and therefore blocking the view of the sky. Here in California the mountains (locals call them hills) are a great place to go. Now that we are in the high desert we don't even have to leave our yard to have an OK view. Although with all the growth and the "light noise" that is changing on a daily basis.

Sorry to say that there is no major activity for the week you will be cruising. You can use the link in my original post to check the calendar of events.

I also live in southern California and have found that there are many great areas to go and view the showers. In Virginia we always had the issue of our mountains having trees and therefore blocking the view of the sky. Here in California the mountains (locals call them hills) are a great place to go. Now that we are in the high desert we don't even have to leave our yard to have an OK view. Although with all the growth and the "light noise" that is changing on a daily basis.

I realized you lived in Apple Valley after I submitted my last post. I bet you do have a great view of the showers there! But, unfortunately, you are right about it changing daily.

We live near the Orange Crush in Orange County so we would have to drive out to the desert to see them unless they are very bright. I used to live in rural PA and enjoyed many a evening watching the shooting stars back there!

Thanks again for the information on the showers. I will use your site often!! :)

We love them. I even have woken up my eldest girl to see the northern lights. 2 years ago the Perseids were the best I've ever seen, 1,000 an hour acording to Jack Horheimer. We had really beautiful northern lights the other night, I'd hate to say which we like better. I guess it is just great that we are all together doing something other then watching TV. :)

And thanks for the link! I check a few times a year for eclipses and things. The last eclisp was covered by clouds, :( But thanks to your link, we will enjoy the peak of the shower on our "Fun and Fancy" night on the ship. Pretty cool, Eat lobster, primerib, get all gussied up, and watch the very cool "shooting stars"! My kids will be hooked on cruising for life! It may even warm my husband up to it!

Dec. 11th, Mobile to Cozumel and Costa Maya. 29 days and counting!

Thanks again!

I have also anticipated viewing spectacular meteor showers from the upper decks but I have to admit I have been disappointed after several cruises. I can not explain why it did not happen. It certainly can be very dark at times and you can see many stars but that is all. May be, it is the Southern latitudes. It might also be that the bright lights from the ship itself may have some effect on your eyes. It is like trying to see meteors from a big city like New York. Has any one else did any better?

I am a "watcher" as well, but one of the things we were diappointed with Carnival ships are that they string very bright lights from stem to stern on the top decks of the ship. It does not make for good sky watching.

Maybe if enough of us request that these be turned off for a night or two, they might do it.

Maybe someone knows of a dark hide away to watch the stars?

Punk

• 3 months later...
We will be cruising next month and will be fortunate to be at sea during the Geminid’s Meteor Shower. In the past this has been one of the best showers I have observed. Another favorite of mine is the Perseid’s in August; however, nothing will ever compare to the Leonid’s of November 2002. We stopped counting at 200 and that was in less than a half hour. So does anyone else keep an eye on the calendar for meteor showers? For those that have never experienced a meteor shower here is a link for more information, including a calendar of events:

Although nothing as spectacular as the Leonid’s of the 2001/2002 is expected next Wednesday (November 17th) should be an excellent opportunity to observe an active shower during the early morning hours.

Thanks for the great link! I love, love, love meteor showers. I dragged my whole family out for the Leonids in Nov '02 and they were spectacular! I just noticed your posting was from a while ago. How were they on the ship? Did the lights make them harder to see?

.... For those that have never experienced a meteor shower here is a link for more information, including a calendar of events:

Here is a nother good source of Astrnomical Information, which also includes times at which the Space Station will fly over the area that you specify:

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/almanac/

Bill

Wow....I was a little surprised to see this thread on the first page again. As for our cruise in December we were able to view the meteor shower on three different nights. In addition to watching from our balcony there was this place at the very front of the ship (Conquest) on deck nine (Lido) that was perfect for viewing.

Archived