First time Cruiser Question- Can I carry on my luggage?

Susie from MN

A friend of mine told me that when boarding the ship for the first time, she just tells the staff that she wants to move her own suitcases and then carries her luggage on the ship with her rather than having the ship move her things to her room. Is this acceptable? Would you do it or just have them take care of it? Thanks!

Yes, you are allowed to take your own luggage with you when embarking IF the bags are small enough to fit through the x-ray machine at the security check-in. In addition, keep in mind that your cabin might not be ready for you yet (cabins are typically accessible at 2 pm for a 4 pm sailing). That means you might have to schlep your bags around the ship (unless there's a place made available to check your bags temporarily, something that's done on certain ships). The biggest positive is that you won't have to wait for your bags to be delivered to your cabin, which varies - might arrive soon after sailing, might take until after dinner.

I've always turned my suitcases over to the porters. When you board the ship, you go through an airport-like screening, with everything you're carrying going through a scanner. I don't think a full-size suitcase would fit, but a backpack or typical carry-on size will. So you'd have to have a small suitcase or two.

Secondly, you usually cannot get into your cabin for a couple hours. They're still cleaning up from the past week's guests. So whatever you carry in with you, you have to lug around until they give the all clear. I like to arrive as early as possible so to have the most time on board. But if you arrive after 2-3 pm (depending on your departure time) then you might be able to go straight to your room. Some cruiselines have a 'holding room' where you can park your carry-ons, but I really wouldn't want to do that.

While I have heard a few stories of luggage going to the wrong room, I don't think that happens very often and it usually shows up later.

It also depends on how long your cruise is. For a 1 or 2-nighter, you could use a small carryon. For anything longer, it depends on how much you pack. Most people just check the bags to avoid the hassle. It's always funny to see people poolside babysitting their large carryons when they could be in the pool.:p

Susie- I agree with the previous posters. I suggest you ask your friend why she carries her own bags; if her "concern" is also your "concern" come back here and ask us to explain why it might be better (or not) to carry your own. For instance, I've seen wedding parties carrying their own garment bags (and I really do think that's a good idea- you don't want that expensive Bridal gown to be crushed!)

Archived