Ironong on board QM2

Summergee

Can anyone tell me if I can use my own travel iron in the laundry rooms on QM2?

Are the irons that are provided hardwired in o the wall or irining board?

I have read threads where people advise caution when using the irons provided and I don't want to ruin my clothes.

I know I can have garments pressed but I have no problem spandind 10 minutes or so on pressing items as I need them.

Can anyone tell me if I can use my own travel iron in the laundry rooms on QM2? Are the irons that are provided hardwired in o the wall or irining board? I have read threads where people advise caution when using the irons provided and I don't want to ruin my clothes. I know I can have garments pressed but I have no problem spandind 10 minutes or so on pressing items as I need them.

Hi

From memory (why didn't I note these things?!) the irons are fixed to the wall via a timer (so they shut off automatically). There are no free/empty sockets for you to plug anything in, as I recall. However, I've used the irons provided on numerous occasions and have had no issues (and I'm a ham fisted bloke who's used irons on board ships in the past (irons that really should have been retired years before!)) and, furthermore, haven't heard of anyone who did. If you've something very delicate and feel unsure I really would use the pressing service, I've heard very good reports about their skill. NEVER use your travel iron in your cabin. Please. Even if someone says they "do it all the time".

Have a great voyage and please ask if you've further questions.

The irons are fine as long as you keep topping them up with water....you can meet some very interesting people while ironing on the QM2. Take some "Bounce" sheets if you are going to wash ladies clothes, helps with the static. June

There are usually two irons in each laundry room so unless there is a lineup you can choose which one suits you. I'm old-fashioned and don't use steam irons. I use a damp cloth so I always carry a piece of plain cotton (old sheeting) with me and then I'm never worried about the iron. And yes, bring fabric shoftener sheets (they make the suitcase smell lovely) because the soap is provided but the drying can give you real static problems.

Just be aware that you may not be able to get into the laundry room at certain times, as it gets crowded, although if you enjoy crowds and gossip, the laundry room is certainly the place!

David

If you have trouble getting in to the laundry room on your deck you will normally find another one on the opposite side of the ship one deck down (or up) which is empty. I have never figured out why some of them are packed and others devoid of human life as with empty machines

Archived