What to choose for Jamaica?

last spring break

Jamaica is tricky, imo -- I think that it reminds me of urban poor rather than island poor. They are more aggressive in their approach, and it's really hard for a polite"no thanks" and walk past, that works in other islands. Many of us cruisers are not seasoned travellers, for most, it may be our first trip out of the states.

anyway, my experience taking my teenage children was unpleasant. yes, they got approached to buy drugs several times. All the rules that their mother had imposed their whole life -- being polite to others, backfired here. We did hire a van off the pier to take our 7 member family around. It started out fine, but our driver did not stay with us, and we were forced to wait for a return, while constantly have to say "no thanks", and that wasn't good enough. Our driver was aggressive when we didn't tip him enough, and chased us out of the car. There were lots of paramilitary youth in uniform with large machetes walking around. I could go on.

there are lots of beautiful islands in the caribbean. I had things in my car stolen in St.marteen, but would go back again in a heartbeat. There is poverty on almost every island, but I never got the sense of unease that I did in Jamaica. I'd recommend a ship tour, and not venturing out by taxi or on your own .

Just my opinion as cruiser and mother of 5

2 18 year olds? The zipline. Without questions. There are 2- we are doing this one: http://www.zipline-tours.com/index.html. This was was designed built and is kept up by the same group who do the one in Vail Colorado, which makes me feel comfortable with it. You can do it yourself, with Carnival, or with several local tour groups. We have a private driver who will take us there (we did the reserves ourself) , then to a great jerk lunch, then who knows.

So many people badmouth Jamaica because "someone approached them etc..". Would these same people not travel down their street, to the next neighborhood, or to another city if that same Jamaican approached them there?

Sorry you consider my personal experience bad mouthing. I'm stating a fact of what happened to me. I can't answer your question because I am not one of them, I don't live there, so I don't know. I'm from MS, the capital in fact, that has a lot of crime and so on. I go on vacation to get away from all that (everyday life), if possible. I heard the stories and knew I was taking a chance. I was very surprised actually that it happened to us. I thought we blended in quite well, but a tourist is a tourist and from what I understand from another local, they know it. There are other beautiful countries with beaches to visit without the drama. It's a personal decision for me.

Oh, and the reason why it freaked me out so is because we were warned about people coming up to you trying to get you a cab ride. There were personal stories of people who had someone approach them saying the same thing and that they'd take these people off somewhere and rob them. We were two women so no telling. So when he approached me, my nerves were shot because I thought about that. And if it had not been for reading on the board, I may not have even know.

I've been to Jamaica twice with two totally different experiences. The first time we were in Ocho Rios and had a tour to the Falls which was cancelled due to rain. When the weather cleared up, we got off the ship and walked into town and had a very nervous experience with people in our face constantly. We couldn't get out of there fast enough. The second time we were in Montego Bay and did the river tubing excursion through Princess and had a wonderful time. No pressure, no fear, just a relaxing good time. We are going back to Ocho Rios in March and will do the Sandals Beach excursion through Princess. I just would never go it alone in Jamaica. Too risky. It's a shame because it's such a beautiful island.

Best thing to choose for Jamaica is stay on the ship and enjoy the day without the crowd. I haven't got off the ship in Jamaica the past three cruises.

Been there done that, hassled to death all three times....... I was a slow learner !

my suggestion would be to stay on the ship we just got back and ocho rios is disgustingly poor and the people are terrible there it is just not worth the hassle I couldnt wait to get back to the ship when we were there

Poverty exists in third world countries. I would suggest if poverty turns your stomach, then do say on the ship where quite a few are one meal away from a heart attack. How sad to go to a third world country and post about disgusting poverty...isn't why they are third world...right? Your observation about the poverty is correct. Montego bay and Ocho Rios, though the tourist mecca, have some of the poorest people on the island.

My suggest is if you are open minded, and want to see something out of your comfort zone, is to hire and guide and be amazed at what the island has to offer, outside of the immediate port area. Beverly Hills is not representative of the US and neither is Ocho Rios of Jamaica. The buffet will still await you on the ship:p Aren't you the same people who go to Mexico and complain about Spanish...yes I heard that complain with my own ears.

I have some time before my cruise:(

My husband says he will only do DRF if we do it with the cruise ship.

From the postings I have read and the ship is in port from 8:00 - 3:30 he is also worried about getting back to the ship on time.

We have always booked excursions with private companies at each port with no problems.

Anyone done the falls with Carnival? Is it mass confusion?

Too many people to enjoy yourself?

I have some time before my cruise:(

My husband says he will only do DRF if we do it with the cruise ship.

From the postings I have read and the ship is in port from 8:00 - 3:30 he is also worried about getting back to the ship on time.

We have always booked excursions with private companies at each port with no problems.

Anyone done the falls with Carnival? Is it mass confusion?

Too many people to enjoy yourself?

Dunn's River is only about a mile away from the pier. If you do the ship excursion you have nothing to worry about.

So many people badmouth Jamaica because "someone approached them etc..". Would these same people not travel down their street, to the next neighborhood, or to another city if that same Jamaican approached them there?

Some people do not feel comfortable around the poor. Poor and black is a natural threat and not present in many of these passengers neighborhood. I grew up in Jamaica but now return mainly for vacation. I am treated differently/scorned by some tourists when speaking the Jamaican dialect verses using my American accent. I am the same person just view differently. Once day I am the OK American tourist worthy of interaction but the next I am one of those ' poor locals' not worthy of a courteous smiles. There are stories to be told by locals about their very unpleasant encounter with the tourists. I know I have my fair share:o

Jamaica is a beautiful place with so much to do. If you are docking in Ocho Rios, don't miss out on Dunns River Falls I book my trips through Ionie McBeam at http://www.ocho-rios.com

She's great, and has provided some of the best excursions I have ever been on.

In MoBay a day at The Rose Hall resort is nice, they have a great water park with a lazy river, be sure to ask the swim up bartender for a BAM BAM.

• 2 weeks later...
my suggestion would be to stay on the ship we just got back and ocho rios is disgustingly poor and the people are terrible there it is just not worth the hassle I couldnt wait to get back to the ship when we were there

Wow that seems like a pretty ignorant view of Jamaica, as well as very elitist.

It's about ignorance. It's clear ignorance going to a 3rd world country and complaining about poverty. Much as it would be complaining about the cries of a new born. Doesn't mean you have to like being in the presence of either. This attitude is what poor Jamaicans have to deal with from some tourists visting their country, condescending, elitist remarks

Wow that seems like a pretty ignorant view of Jamaica, as well as very elitist.

Elitist and sad!

It's about ignorance. It's clear ignorance going to a 3rd world country and complaining about poverty. Much as it would be complaining about the cries of a new born. Doesn't mean you have to like being in the presence of either. This attitude is what poor Jamaicans have to deal with from some tourists visting their country, condescending, elitist remarks

Elitist and sad!

Well said. If you go to a foreign place where you spend in one day more than most people make, expect to be hassled. Look like a rich tourist, act like a rich tourist, expect to be treated like a rich tourist.

We are travelling on Royal Carribean with two 18 year olds. Last year we did the excursion to the Breezes Resort and our then 17 year olds were freaked out by the constant offers to purchase drugs while attempting to swim in the ocean. Because of this , they don't want to get off of the ship this year.

Any suggested excursions including a few hours at a beach?

We did a private tour with Island Marketing that included climbing Dunns River Falls and River Tubing on the White River. At one point on the White River you are able to jump off a 15 ft embankment into the river below. After that we hung out at Margaritaville which is a short walk away from the cruise ship pier. Margaritaville has a pool with waterslide as well as access to a beach with water trampolines. My boys were 8, 12 and 15 at that time and they thoroughly enjoyed this trip. From all the ports, Ocho Rios was there favourite--mostly due to these excursions! We never had anyone approach us with drugs. Everything was "Irie!"

I have attached a link showing our excursions in Ocho Rios.

Archived