Clothing appropriate for Egypt in March

HomeLover

I feel really stupid asking this after 19 cruises, but I have NO idea of what is appropriate to take on a Nile river cruise, for instance, for shore excursions are shorts and sleeveless tops acceptable? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

If you are going to any religious site (church/mosque/etc) shorts are sleeveless tops are not acceptable. I always take a skirt and camp shirt for mid-east excursions, and you might want to throw in a scarf for your head as some places require women to have their heads covered. They will provide a covering if you don't have one, but think of the people who may have worn it before you:eek:. I have found that a straight denim skirt is perfect b/c it doesn't wrinkle.

Your cruise line should have information for guidelines as well. Several women on one of our cruises were very disappointed they could not enter the various churches, etc. because they were wearing shorts and tank tops. Remember, that part of the world is still not totally removed from burkas/veils.

I just went to Egypt in November. It is an amazing country and it was one of my favourite holidays ever.

The general advice that we were given is to make that your shoulders and knees are covered whilst in public. If you visit a village then ladies were asked to wear long trousers or a skirt. Light cotton tops do the trick, also when it is very hot then light long sleeved tops help to keep you cool.

You will see Egyptian women who have uncovered heads, to wearing scarves (fully colour co-ordinated with the rest of their clothing) to wearing a naqab. Whatever they are wearing they are dressed modestly in public.

Enjoy your trip! If you have the opportunity go hot air ballooning - truly amazing!

I did a Nile cruise last year in late February. It was not unpleasantly warm in most places -- a little hot in Abu Simbel but nothing like it can be in later months.

I mostly wore lightweight capri pants (the kind that you can wash and dry in a night) and short-sleeved tops for our visits to Egyptian temples, Valley of the Kings, Pyramids, etc. These are places where I knew I'd be scrambling over ruins and so forth, so the capris were a better option than a skirt. You will find at the end of the day that you have fine sand/dust everywhere. Good, supportive shoes are essential.

For onboard the ship, most people dressed up a little in the evening but not like on a cruise ship. A nice skirt and top, or a pair of pants and top were fine.

In Cairo, Luxor, and any big city, do dress conservatively. No sleeveless tops or shorts that show your knees. If you are spending any time at a resort on the Red Sea, you can dress more casually there.

As for the balloon rides -- they are only done first thing in the morning at Luxor. And when I say first thing, I mean that you may be getting up at 4:30 am to do it. Most of the time they are arranged through your guide as an extra excursion before the rest of the days activities commence. If your guide isn't offering it, you can go through your Nile cruiser (if you are onboard already) or ask at your hotel. They will be happy to arrange it.

Do try to do it -- it is really outstanding!

by my itinerary, we only have an afternoon free in Luxor. Do you have the name of the tour operator, or a contact?

Thanks again

They only do them first thing in the morning. You go up at about 6am, so if you are overnighting in Luxor then you will probably be given the opportunity.

I went with Explore travel and they organised it with one of the local companies. It cost about US$110.

Thanks to both of you for the Balloon ride. We do not overnight in Luxor, and disembark the ship from there, so the only hope is doing it the day of disembarkation and getting back in time to leave the ship.

Cynthia, thank you for your details re: clothing..it is a great help.

I dressed very "down"..plain light colored cotton coulotts, longer, rollup sleeve shirt, I wore knee sox even. you will be given booties for mosques. I carry/always a non advertising type plain colored tote, and no name tag or even overly made up. A hot air balloon ride "anywhere", is wonderful, and the pyramids, or any place in Egypt is a sight not to miss. Wish i was going again also..good luck

Archived