What is the latest time to board the ship?

sjram

I am getting a little panicked reading all of the stories about people missing their cruises. We are flying California/Houston/Miami a week from today. We are taking the red eye and thought I was leaving myself enough time, but now I am getting a little nervous. What is the latest you can board the ship in case of a delay? Anyone else flying in the same day? Please tell me that I am not the only one that didn't know any better!

Julia

If you have completed your Funpass atleast three days before departure you have until 60 minutes before sailing to check in.

If you have not completed your Funpass atleast three days before departure you must check in atleast 90 minutes before sailing.

This is to satisfy DHS requirements that the ship's manifest be submitted 60 minutes before departure.

I know, I am flying Delta and people on these boards have me scared to death! :-)

We flew into Jacksonville the same day as our cruise, supposed to arrive around 11:40 with layover in Atlanta. Well, after de-icing plane in Indy, made it to Atlanta about 40min late and then late leaving Atlanta for J-ville. Hope you had/have better luck with Delta as every single leg, going and returning, was late. It was not a problem for us, but if you didn't allow PLENTY of time, it would be. I was almost nervous :eek: a couple of times. They were great (Delta) about getting us a earlier flight out on return flight, (extra $50/ea), but once again, everything was late. Oh, well, nature of the bus I guess.

Have fun!

Pretty well most of the threads about missing cruises is due to weather related instances ie blizzards and ice causing flights being cancelled. As you are flying from California I would think you would be allright unless the plane broke down and they didnt have a spare one.

We decided to never fly on the same day again after it took us 16 hours to get from San Diego to Hawaii. If the time zone difference wasn't in our favor we would have missed the ship.

In the old days the cruise lines had very competitive airfare and west coast people always included a night at a nice hotel in Florida the night before.

Pretty well most of the threads about missing cruises is due to weather related instances ie blizzards and ice causing flights being cancelled. As you are flying from California I would think you would be allright unless the plane broke down and they didnt have a spare one.

Years ago, in February, we flew out of Boston to Miami with a stop in Tampa. We left Boston with beautiful weather and landed in Tampa with warm temps and bright sunshine. Our connecting flight was 6 hours delayed because of a snow storm in Chicago. If the equipment can't get to you, you will have a problem. More than likely you will be fine, but never assume because you are flying from warm weather to warm weather that snow and ice can't delay you.

Years ago, in February, we flew out of Boston to Miami with a stop in Tampa. We left Boston with beautiful weather and landed in Tampa with warm temps and bright sunshine. Our connecting flight was 6 hours delayed because of a snow storm in Chicago. If the equipment can't get to you, you will have a problem. More than likely you will be fine, but never assume because you are flying from warm weather to warm weather that snow and ice can't delay you.

While you make a valid point, the OP is flying via Houston. She is far more likely to be delayed by incompetence than ice. :D

(I can say that because I live in the greater Houston area)

While you make a valid point, the OP is flying via Houston. She is far more likely to be delayed by incompetence than ice. :D

(I can say that because I live in the greater Houston area)

I don't think she will have a problem...UNLESS the plane that will take her to Miami from Houston is stuck in a place like Chicago because of ice.

Planes do not just sit in airports. They travel a similar route every day. If her plane's daily route is Chicago to Houston, then Miami, she could be in trouble. The plane that was supposed to take me to Miami from Tampa was in Chicago...probably had a daily flight plan that took it from Chicago to Tampa and then Miami...after Miami it probably turned around and went back the same route.

Have you ever seen incompetence in the airline industry???:p

I don't think she will have a problem...UNLESS the plane that will take her to Miami from Houston is stuck in a place like Chicago because of ice.

Planes do not just sit in airports. They travel a similar route every day. If her plane's daily route is Chicago to Houston, then Miami, she could be in trouble. The plane that was supposed to take me to Miami from Tampa was in Chicago...probably had a daily flight plan that took it from Chicago to Tampa and then Miami...after Miami it probably turned around and went back the same route.

Have you ever seen incompetence in the airline industry???:p

I'm 90% certain she is flying Continental airlines as Houston is one of their hubs. While you are correct that planes can be stranded in northern cities, at a southern hub the airlines have the advantage of substituting equipment. If Chicago or Cleveland or Newark are shut down due to weather, flights there from Houston will be canceled and the equipment used to complete flights to airports that are functioning.

While nothing is certain where commercial aviation is concerned, flying Continental from California to Florida via Houston in February has a great track record of on time service.

I'm glad to hear that Continental has a good track record with connecting flights though Houston onto Florida.

On that note, does anyone know if thunderstorms delay flights in Houston often? The day we connect through there, there are thunderstorms being forecasted.

I'm glad to hear that Continental has a good track record with connecting flights though Houston onto Florida.

On that note, does anyone know if thunderstorms delay flights in Houston often? The day we connect through there, there are thunderstorms being forecasted.

Yes thunderstorms do delay flights in Houston. No the weather forecast for a week from now is not reliable.;) The forecast this last Friday night, for Saturday was thunderstorms. We had planned to take down our Christmas decorations Saturday morning and figured we would have to wait until Sunday.

The weather Saturday morning was sunny in the low 70's...if they can't predict the weather 24 hours in advance, a week in advance isn't even a guess...it's just a thought. :D

If I was flying through there that day, based on my track record in Houston, I would say there was a 100% chance of being delayed due to thunderstorms. But as yst347, they can't get the current day's forecast correct. I wouldn't be worried yet about a flight 4-5 days from now.:p

If I was flying through there that day, based on my track record in Houston, I would say there was a 100% chance of being delayed due to thunderstorms. But as yst347, they can't get the current day's forecast correct. I wouldn't be worried yet about a flight 4-5 days from now.:p

:D

I hope you are correct. It was thunderstorming today in Houston, yet according to the Bush Airport's website, there were no flight delays because of it.

Well, I guess I will just pray for no thunderstorms that day, and check the forecast! You are right, I am flying Continental. Is there any way to check where the plane that is taking me Houston to Miami is coming from? I am probably thinking about this way to much...I need a vacation!

Archived