Dyea Dave

Two from Virginia

I've only used Dyea Dave for trips to and from Dyea for hiking, but both he and his sister are true Alaskan characters and I highly recommend them. They are local and know the area well.

I actually find it very disappointing and somewhat disturbing when I am on an excursion and the guide is a college student from somewhere in the Lower 48 who gets the facts wrong and will make up answers rather than admit they don't know when asked questions.

I will be using his services this coming May. I spoke with him for about 45 minutes yes, he indeed could be a character but he took the time to listen to what I wanted to get out of my trip to Skagway. He is passionate about Alaska and I can't wait to meet him

I have my group booked with Dave this May and it sounds like he is a very accomadating gentleman. He's meeting us in Frasure after our White Pass RR ride and he told me we can go wherever we like for as long as we have to spend in Skagway.

Has anyone used Dyea Dave for a tour in Skagway? His fees are considerably less than Chilkoot (spelling?). I would like the pros and cons of this tour operator.

We used Dyea Dave last year for a very personalized tour from Skagway to Dyea to see and learn more about the gold rush. We highly recommend him. He is very accomodating and knows the history of the area. We had a great time and learned a lot even though this was our 6th time to Skagway.

030.jpg.ee25e7ccbdbf0a88c9d238c8321db4e2.jpg

My family used him July 2008 to take them around then meet the train in frasier for the train ride down. He was great with the small kids and timed the trip up just to catch the train in the background at a photo-stop. He seems to know EVERYONE in town. My sister raved about how much she saved over doing almost the exact same thing with a tour company. My family had seven people and he had a father and son from a HAL ship joined them. My sister was a bit nervous because he does not give you a specific itinerary. You just tell him if you want to include the train. Afterward when she met us at the ship it sounded like he took them everywhere I had heard mentioned of on these boards.

The cost of tours by Chilkook Tours and Dyea Dave are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Has anyone used both of them and how would you rate them? Are they comparable? From what I have read, Dyea has not set "do this, see this" whereas with the other tour company they specifically spell out what and how long you will be doing various things.

Someone mentioned taking a tour with Dyea and then meeting up with the train. Is this train part of a tour too?

Has anyone booked the Ykon Rail & Bus Excursion (7 hours) by Chilkook Tours? THey also offer a Skagway/Carcross Rail & BUs Excursion for 9 hours but I think this one would be pushing getting back to the ship on time.

The train is a separate cost. My sister paid for the train at the train station in Frasier. Dave said that they did not need a reservation since many tour groups exit at that point. They were surprised that they were the only group boarding in Frasier. They ended up getting the rail car that the tour groups exited. So they had the whole railcar for the 9 of them. They could move around the car and sit wherever they wanted.The first 3 cars were filled with round trip train ride passengers only.

The cost of Dave plus the train still was significantly less than any train combo tour we could find through the ship or private.

We used Dyea Dave last year for a very personalized tour from Skagway to Dyea to see and learn more about the gold rush. We highly recommend him. He is very accomodating and knows the history of the area. We had a great time and learned a lot even though this was our 6th time to Skagway.

Since this was your 6th visit to Skagway, how would you recommend Dyea Dave on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the best? Did you tour with anyone else? Would you recommend this tour group?

Since this was your 6th visit to Skagway, how would you recommend Dyea Dave on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the best? Did you tour with anyone else? Would you recommend this tour group?

I would not hesitate to give Dyea Dave a 9+ (10's are very rare in my book)!

We normally book our excursions through the ship. On our first trip to Skagway we did the train and on subsequent visits we did the Skagway city tour via the Skagway Street Car & also the Yukon Gold Rush. We went on the Yukon Territory Scenic Drive via a mini-bus, twice we rented a car from Avis and did the drive to Carcross & Emerald Lake. Once we took the "fast ferry" to Haines and spent the entire day there.

We have thoroughly enjoyed all our excursions in Skagway. There is so much history and beautiful scenery that it's hard to go wrong! :)

How does one get in touch with Dyea Dave? I am going on a cruise with my 70 year old parents and want them to see as much as they can. They get around quite well. I was going to take the train ride for 3 hours. It sounds like maybe a tour with Dyea Dave and then a train ride back down to Skagway is possible??? Thanks for the info!

His number is 907-209-5031, I emailed him(can't find his email, but I got it off this board, try googling him) and he called me the next day and we talked over an hour.

I am also trying to decide between using him & Chilkoot tours. I want to go to Fraser by train & take bus/van back, maybe do some gold panning.

Dave's recommendation is to not book anything, see how the fog is, and that day decide if you want to take the early train or later train, or if you

want to take train up/van back, vice versa... he's a really nice guy, very laid back, requires no deposit.

My concern is the train will be sold out. Dave said it never happened to him, I called the train & they said if you are somewhat flexible about the what train you are taking you should be fine.

Dave was $90 cheaper than Chilkoot tours (for 6 people, I didn't think it was a big difference)

His number is 907-209-5031, I emailed him(can't find his email, but I got it off this board, try googling him) and he called me the next day and we talked over an hour.

I am also trying to decide between using him & Chilkoot tours. I want to go to Fraser by train & take bus/van back, maybe do some gold panning.

Dave's recommendation is to not book anything, see how the fog is, and that day decide if you want to take the early train or later train, or if you

want to take train up/van back, vice versa... he's a really nice guy, very laid back, requires no deposit.

My concern is the train will be sold out. Dave said it never happened to him, I called the train & they said if you are somewhat flexible about the what train you are taking you should be fine.

Dave was $90 cheaper than Chilkoot tours (for 6 people, I didn't think it was a big difference)

This is posted on Chilkoot's web site:

What if we don't make it back in time to re-board our cruise ship?

Cruise ships have an all-aboard call 30 minutes prior to the ship's departure from Skagway. We not only can assure you that you will make your ship's departure, we also guarantee passage to your next port of call if we are responsible for making you miss your ship. In all of our years of business we have not missed a ship yet!

Dyea Dave's email address is dyeadave@msn.com. We have booked a tour with him for a group of 6. I emailed him about what we hoped to do, and he called me back the next morning to discuss the details.

I haven't been to Skagway before but it sounds like there are lots of good options for exploring this area. We are looking forward to our tour.

VikkiGarcia- We are the father and son from HAL that joined your family on the tour. We totally concur with your comments and recommend DD highly.

When we arrived, Dave confirmed what we wanted to do and checked with the RR. He had us see the NPS video on the Gold Rush to put things in a historical context as well as synchronize with the train schedule. (Be sure to bring your passports, we had to go back to the ship and grab them. Not a big deal since Skagway isn't a tender port).

After joining Vikki's family we got a tour of the city, then headed to Fraser in DD's van. Returned by train. Vikki's group went gold panning; DD provided us with bikes and we rode out to the Gold Rush Cemetery, hiked to Reid Falls, then pedaled to the scenic overlook above the city.

As a long-time resident and archaeologist, DD knows a lot of facts and interesting anecdotes about the area. His prices are reasonable and you will have a much better experience than a cruiseline-booked tour can offer.

Well, We were on the repositioning cruise on Serenade last September and we only booked one excursion, that was with Dyea Dave! Dave took us everywhere, it was the most fun we had the entire trip. Dave, say hello to Barney and Carol, the Moose Meatloaf and Pavement cookies were fabulous! Dave went out of his way to make sure we got to see everything twice, apples from his tree, the suspension bridge, the stamp at the Carcross post Office, Emerals Lake, it was all like meeting an old friend for a drive around the neighborhood. We Texans are pretty easy folks to get along with and this tour will be what you make it! Dave is the most accomodating, knowledgeable guide we met on the entire cruise- you will not be disappointed. Let Dave show you his neighborhood, it is large and beautiful and goes from Skagway to Whitehorse. If you listen to Dave you will have a fantastic trip- We sure did!

• 2 weeks later...
The cost of tours by Chilkook Tours and Dyea Dave are at opposite ends of the spectrum. Has anyone used both of them and how would you rate them? Are they comparable? From what I have read, Dyea has not set "do this, see this" whereas with the other tour company they specifically spell out what and how long you will be doing various things.

Someone mentioned taking a tour with Dyea and then meeting up with the train. Is this train part of a tour too?

Has anyone booked the Ykon Rail & Bus Excursion (7 hours) by Chilkook Tours? THey also offer a Skagway/Carcross Rail & BUs Excursion for 9 hours but I think this one would be pushing getting back to the ship on time.

The reason for the price difference is that Dyea Dave does NOT include the cost of the train in his tour price, whereas Chilkoot DOES include the price of the train. The train ticket alone is over $110.

Edited by StarTrkGeek

A one-way to meet a bus is $81 - you can see all the train options and prices at http://wpyr.com/schedule.html Note that you can take the train company's bus back to Skagway for only an additional $26.

I was thinking of combining a train ride with a tour by Dyea Dave. What do you think of this arrangement? What are "musts" to see?

I was thinking of combining a train ride with a tour by Dyea Dave. What do you think of this arrangement? What are "musts" to see?

This is what I hope to do, just e-amiled Dave tonight.

I'm looking at the Dog Carting for sure. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I gave up hearing back from Dave. He answered my first e-mail but after that he never replied to 2 more e-mails over a week or so ago now, if he could or could not do our tour. I have no problem if it couldn't be done, I was looking for a different tour, but at least tell me you can't do it.

I moved on to Chilkoot tours and they have been very helpful and I'm booked now. :) Not what I wanted at first but at least he was honest with me and he still keeping open what I want as it gets closer he will know for sure if it can be done.

You'd better take Dyea Dave when you're in Skagway... your vacation is not complete without spending time with him. If he's cheaper, more expensive... it doesn't matter. I've never had a better time, with more bang for my buck or laughed so hard as with DD. If you want to know how honest business works in Skagway, hit him up for advice. I know he only recommends things he can stand behind, never to make a buck under the table.

I'd best stop before he desides to raise his prices on you all.

Years ago when I lived in Skagway, Dave used to tell all of us "If you hear anyone camplain about me or my tour, ask them how much they paid and refund their full money out of your own pocket. I'm good for it." I never refunded a nickel on his behalf, and know of nobody else in town who did either.

Be forewarned: his only con... playing pool. Gentlemen, do not even think of trying to play for money. You could loose the deed to your home over an afternoon with him. Ladies... he's a sucker for red wine after work. You stand a better chance, but may still loose the keys to your car.

I hope to make it back his way to spend a lot more time touring with him and his family soon.

Dave, tell your sister to save me a room at the inn for the boy whose mother in Maine is in love with you and your dog.