Typhoid shot

hunt182644

We are due to leave on a Panama Canal cruise in Feb. My wife was at her Dr. for a check up and mentioned the cruise. Also that we would be ziplining, dr. said due to the fact we would be in a jungle enviroment that we needed typhoid and hepatitis A B vaccinations. Also told to get a prescription for malaria pills. Have never seen a lot of mention on this subject on cruise critic. I seem to think if this was really neccesary Princess would make some mention of it in their brochures. Have others done this series of shots or did my wifes dr. talk her into something to be on the safe side?

We are due to leave on a Panama Canal cruise in Feb. My wife was at her Dr. for a check up and mentioned the cruise. Also that we would be ziplining, dr. said due to the fact we would be in a jungle enviroment that we needed typhoid and hepatitis A B vaccinations. Also told to get a prescription for malaria pills. Have never seen a lot of mention on this subject on cruise critic. I seem to think if this was really neccesary Princess would make some mention of it in their brochures. Have others done this series of shots or did my wifes dr. talk her into something to be on the safe side?

Go with the doctor's recommendations. They are also the same as the CDC. Our doctor recommended exactly what yours did. We were able to take four pills for typhoid in place of the shot. That was much nicer way to get the protection. We also take malaria pills any time we go into places where malaria has been detected.

On our last trip I was bitten multiple times by some type of insect while in Colombia. The bites required medical attention and were painful for weeks afterward. I was sure glad I was up to date on all my shots and pills!

Also that we would be ziplining, dr. said due to the fact we would be in a jungle enviroment that we needed typhoid and hepatitis A B vaccinations. Also told to get a prescription for malaria pills.

My father and I were on the 11/25/08 Coral Princess transiting the Panama Canal, and I contacted our local travel clinic, which I have used for past trips. I needed my typhoid shot updated, and Dad and I both needed our tetanus shots updated. Our Hepatitis shots were still current. We were told that malaria pills weren't necessary since we would not be on land after dark when the mosquitos are most active. I would recommend you check for a travel clinic in your area (usually the larger hospitals have them).

I had the shots, but no malaria pills, and also took a small container of DEET containing insect repellant. We saw plenty of mosquitos during the daytime, but they wouldn't get near us after we used the insect repellant.

Take DEET with you. We had shots from a prior trip to So American and Africa so did not get shots. After doing the trip my feeling was that they were not really necessary. Unless you take a private tour into so area that is not so nice. We went ziplining and there was no problem.Of course Tetanus shots are always good to have up-to-date. My wife had all the shots and it was over $200 for them, I just had a Hep A B shot for $135.

Being up to date with vaccines is not a bad idea in general.

I agree with PP about going to a Travel Clinic to see what is really needed. They have the most updated information and deal with travel needs/requirements/recommendations all the time.

We use our local international airport's clinic. They even are "in the know" about different strains of malaria and other illnesses in different areas - which changes the type of prophylactic that is required.

Glad you came here for an answer.

Clearly, CC and Princess are more knowledgeable than any MD.:p

If you're looking for an out, you might even try a lookup on the CDC web site. The inoculations might not be "required".

Seriously, I'd always defer to my family physician before Cruise Critic posters or cruise line advise.

If I didn't have complete trust in my MD, I'd find a new GP pronto.

Thanks to all who replied. More or less confirmed what I thought Always glad to get a little input. Although there always has to be at least one or two smart ---'es in the mix:p

Agree about following the MD's advice. I got typhoid fever once in India and though no prophylaxis meds are required for entry there they are recommended. Follow common sense when in port, i.e. bottled beverages only and be careful about the food you eat. BTW we will be doing the PC in Feb. as well but plan no zip lining, etc. Have fun. :)

I would get the Hep A and B shots. Anyone who cruises shoudl get Hep A shots. Most insurance covers these shots, and if they don't local health clinics often give them out for free.

When I went to Africa a few years ago I got the prescription for Malarone because I was spending a few days in Zambia near Victoria Falls. It probably wasn't necessary as that part is sprayed very well and is basically malaria free. Plus, I never got bit.

Here is a map of Panama that shows the Malaria risk areas

http://www.fitfortravel.scot.nhs.uk/destinations/malariamaps/panama.htm

Unless you are severly immuno-compromised, the Typhoid shot seems excessive.

I think everyone should get the Hep A-B shots regardless of whether they're travelling or not. We had a hepatitis outbreak a few years back at one of the cafeterias in a large office building! You just never know.

As for the malaria pills, I took those when I went to Africa. There was never a mosquito threat while we were there, but the anti-malarias sure made everyone sick!! I wouldn't take them ever again.

A travel clinic is the best advice.

If I remember correctly the Hep A is not one but two shots at a spaced interval. Cant remember about the Hep B

If taken separately Hep A is 2 and Hep B is 3, but I think there is a new double shot that is just twice for both strains.

Archived