Your BEST Idea of a day in San Juan!!!

senunit

Hi CC Members! Its been a while now, nearly a year since my last cruise. But now, my girlfriend and I are going back on board the Freedom of The Seas on the 11th. We are very excited, and although we have St. Thomas and St. Maarten all planned out, we are not sure how to spend the time in San Juan. We boarded here last year, but thats all we did. This year, it is actually part of our itinerary and we are looking forward to a fun day there. We are looking for all suggestions, as we are not familiar with the areas at all. In other words, the best way to phrase my inquiry would be to say, "What would you do on an ideal day in San Juan, Puerto Rico?" We are looking for maybe some places to eat, the best beaches, a great tour, places not to miss, sites to see." Anything would be great. We are both in our 20's, so we're hoping to do something that would be interesting and memorable to us. Thank you all in advance for all your help. All the best, Simon!:)

Hi CC Members! Its been a while now, nearly a year since my last cruise. But now, my girlfriend and I are going back on board the Freedom of The Seas on the 11th. We are very excited, and although we have St. Thomas and St. Maarten all planned out, we are not sure how to spend the time in San Juan. We boarded here last year, but thats all we did. This year, it is actually part of our itinerary and we are looking forward to a fun day there. We are looking for all suggestions, as we are not familiar with the areas at all. In other words, the best way to phrase my inquiry would be to say, "What would you do on an ideal day in San Juan, Puerto Rico?" We are looking for maybe some places to eat, the best beaches, a great tour, places not to miss, sites to see." Anything would be great. We are both in our 20's, so we're hoping to do something that would be interesting and memorable to us. Thank you all in advance for all your help. All the best, Simon!:)

If it were me I would take the tour of El Morro, the fort itself is amazing. Then have lunch in OSJ and walk some of the old streets. Then if you arn't too tired go to San Cristibol. Both of these forts are really something to see. We have toured them three times and plan on going again on our upcoming cruise. Good luck and have a great cruise.

It all really depends on what time of the day you're in port here. Many ships are here from like 3pm - 10pm, which doesn't give you a lot of choices.

If you've never spent any real time in Old San Juan, I would suggest our self-guide walking tour that will take you past the "must see" places. Spend some time in El Morro and/or Fort San Cristobal.

Do some shopping. Grab a meal at one of the many great restaurants. Perhaps do a Segway tour. Or, if you're more adventurous, a zipline canopy tour.

If you are spending the evening in Old San Juan, there are different things to do depending on the day of the week. You can also consider a guided night-time walking tour.

If you're here for the better part of the day, consider a trip to El Yunque National Forest (the rain forest). If your ship doesn't leave until late at night, consider visiting the bio bay in Fajardo.

Hope this helps!

Hi as others have stated, a walking tour of Old San Juan would be a great option. The city is not that large and is easy to get around. There are plenty of things to see and do http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2008/09/41-ideas-for-old-san-juan/ including 2 forts, a cathedral, several plazas, several museums and lots of restaurants.

You don't have to walk everywhere as there is a free trolley service that will take you up to the forts.

More ideas here http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/cruise-ship-visitors/

have fun

Do you have any information on a rainforest tour? We are going to SJ in May and would be interested it taking one.

Thanks, Terri

We love the rainforest (we even live there!).

The cruise ships offer some- one is a quick (lame) tour- the usual stops (the La Coca Falls, the Yokahu tower, and then the Caimatillo Trail. Short but sweet and they tell you about the forest. Good for people who are not really into "hiking"- younger or older people etc.

They usually also do a longer tour of with La Mina Falls instead of Caimatillo.

Unfortunately, they all go here- so it is usually very crowded.

Or, you can rent a car (about $30 /day from Charlie's who will pick you up and drop you off at the ship) and do your own tour. It is an easy drive and there is so much else to do and see there and along the way.

Here is basic info on the trip up the mountain, and the rest of the forest (with some of the less frequented trails/falls):

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/el-yunque-rain-forest-an-overview-of-the-carribean-national-forest/

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/category/rainforest/

In the area is Monserrate Balneario (a lovely beach) and the kiosks, Pinones beach area with boardwalk for walking, biking and kayaking, Belz outlets, and New San Juan.

Hi CC Members! "What would you do on an ideal day in San Juan, Puerto Rico?" We are looking for maybe some places to eat, the best beaches, a great tour, places not to miss, sites to see." Anything would be great. We are both in our 20's, so we're hoping to do something that would be interesting and memorable to us. Thank you all in advance for all your help. All the best, Simon!:)

Simon- when will you be here- date and hours will totally help with the planning. Also what do you like to do- gardens, adventure, laid back, history, foodie , etc.

Lots of stuff to do, but it all depends on your desires!

Simon- when will you be here- date and hours will totally help with the planning. Also what do you like to do- gardens, adventure, laid back, history, foodie , etc.

Lots of stuff to do, but it all depends on your desires!

First of all, THANK YOU ALL SO SO MUCH for the amazing tips! We are going to be in San Juan from 3 am - 11 pm I believe! Thank you all again!:)

First of all, THANK YOU ALL SO SO MUCH for the amazing tips! We are going to be in San Juan from 3 am - 11 pm I believe! Thank you all again!:)

Unusual times....usually 3p-11 or 12. Also what day of the week? Also what date (matters for the BioBay)

If your times are true, then you have all day!

My must do's with all day/ night.

Early on- check out the forts and walk around OSJ. Then after a nice lunch at El Jibarito, rent a car and head to the rain forest and walk around. Then head to the BioBay for the 6:30p tour. Drive back to the ship by 10pm and you have seen a lot in a short time!

Unusual times....usually 3p-11 or 12. Also what day of the week? Also what date (matters for the BioBay)

If your times are true, then you have all day!

My must do's with all day/ night.

Early on- check out the forts and walk around OSJ. Then after a nice lunch at El Jibarito, rent a car and head to the rain forest and walk around. Then head to the BioBay for the 6:30p tour. Drive back to the ship by 10pm and you have seen a lot in a short time!

Sorry HAHA, I meant to say 3pm - 11pm. Thank you!:o

Well, 3-11p reduces your time! You can't do a ton of stuff- you will have to pick and choose.

My favorite things: Walk around OSJ- see the forts, Segway tour, do some shopping, eat/drink and check out OSJ in general. If you are in port on a Tuesday, get to the LeLoLai show!

An "only in PR" thing: to the rainforest then the BioBay. The BioBay is best viewed with little light- so check the moon calender with your date: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/biobay-and-moon/

You would be best to do this via a rental car, as tours or taxis are not flexible with this schedule.

Or for more active fun, do a Zip line tour, horseback riding, or an ATV tour....

Thank you ALL VERY much!!! We were initially concerned thinking we might not be able to think of a good idea or find what to do. But all of this has been great help and we've decided to go with the walking your of OSJ (or at least as much of it as we can cover) and a visit to El Morro. Thank you again!!!:)

Archived